Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jiffs Mk3 Project

PFL 15" front & rear

Ah, I run FL wheels....
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Please to report she sailed through the Mot; Advisory on handbrake travel, but as I've got all the new discs/pads/calipers/hoses still to fit, I'm not worried about that!

Good to here it :)

Little bit of an update to report on some body mods.... Yes those things I despise..

She gained for JAE, a face bumper with fog lamps, a "proper" MRS badge to replace the liqwuid art one, and a pair of TRD side skirts.

Still need to wire up the fogs of course, but I'll do that when I finally get round to fitting these.

Just finishing wrapping the exhaust manifold in some heat wrap - Will take some pics tomorrow as it's too dark now.

If you've never done it before, heres a couple of tips:
    1) *MOST IMPORTANT* - Wear long sleeves and gloves. The stuff is typically fibreglass based so the last thing you want to that itch you just can't scratch enough.
    2) Soak the stuff in water. It then lets you wrap it tighter around the manifold and, as with so many things in life, the tighter, the better.
    3) Aim to overlay it by about half each wrap.
    4) Plan it out first - On my manifold, its a 4>2, so I used I piece to wrap 2 pipes, meaning it only needs fastening at the head end of the manifold.

Pic to complete:

Dropped the headlamps in this morning - Haven't worked out the wiring yet, but it stops the good lady moaning about them being sat in the front room! :eusa_silenced:

So, Harriet has gone from this:

To this:

Thought I'd do a quick follow up post on what the 2zz is like as a daily driver.

I appreciate that anyone who's just completed a swap is always going to positive about it, but he's my take.

Its fricking awesome.

The engine weighs a tiny bit more but that's about it. The engine starts and drives almost like a standard 1zz. The better half hasn't noticed a difference (but then again, she changes gear at 4k!). It's returning (almost) the same fuel consumption figures as it did pre-swap. However, get her warmed up and send the revs into the naughty zone and oh lord!!! The engine tone changes and so does the pace. You can go into very naughty speeds without even thinking about it or leaving 3rd gear. The shining star in the whole conversion is the gearbox.

Anyone who's swapped the 2zz without changing the gearbox, frankly, you've done it wrong. You're missing out on the best part. At first it appears massively short ratio'd - You can find yourself stirring the cogs around town quite a lot. Thankfully, swapping the 6-speed shifter in has meant every gear change has hit home with the usual sick-snick perfect shift feel. 6th gear, even with the longer MR2 6th gear, seems a little short, as 70 mph has the revs at 3.5k. However, you need to wrap your head around the fact that half the time, you're only halfway through the engine rev range. 8,200 rpm. Read that again. It's a scary figure. When you do decide to engage hero mode and take the thing to the red line, the box delivers the goods. Each gear change drops you beautifully back into the lift zone and you surge on into a dizzying blur. That once short ratio box suddenly seems very long legged! I'll be perfectly honest and say I've run out of road long before I've run out of gears.

I've a couple more jobs to do to her; Undertrays need to go back on, there's some TTE springs looking for a home, need to shift the ARB's from full soft to full stiff and then the obligatory 4 wheel alignment. With winter fast approaching,how much of that gets done is debatable. I'll probably not have time to hook up the good old fashioned G-tech meter and work out some actual 0-60 and power figures however, the Bum-Dyno says it's just fine. However, something that's been niggling me for some time, is the question a balance; I used to believe there was never such as thing as too much power; Now, a little older and a lot wiser, I tend to think differently. A 2zz Mk3 is a beautifully balanced thing. It's flexible enough to be handed over to the other half without a endless list of do's and don't s. It's sensible enough to be driven as daily without having to worry about unforgiving road manners. And thrown into lift, it'll satisfy the adrenalin junky in me with ease.

Good to hear although you know it needs a charger

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast