Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jiffs Mk3 Project

People have done 2GRs, as its *officially* the ladies car, it'll eventually get a 2zz.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

As many of you may have guessed from Paul Wood's recent thread, there's a 2zz-ge swap about to happen. "Now just hang on Jiffy" some of you may say, "haven't you got the Mk1 V6 swap on the go? Where's your bloody priorities!" And you'd be correct. The Mk1 is still ongoing, it's a slow burner that one! The Mk3 jumped the queue as it's my daily and one fateful night, the gearbox let go. And whilst walking/cycling to work is great for my health, I'm getting serious sideways withdrawal symptoms. Now if you're pulling the gearbox, its only one more engine mount to drop the engine. And if you're doing that.... well, you get the picture!

So why 2zz? Well, for a number of reasons:

1) If you don't know already, the 1zz engine, is a time-bomb, particularly in the earlier cars (like mine). Poor design leads to sticking rings, leads to oil consumption and oval bore wear.

2) That 1zz is an FE engine; Remember that F stands for "Economy narrow-angle valve" and that it's a long stroke engine, it's purpose if fuel economy - NOT the thing we want in a sports car! We want the G version, where G is "Performance wide-angle valve" and it's a nice square stroke/bore ratio!

and now the important ones.....

3) A 2zz-ge package just happen to land on my lap at the right time.

4) The swap in itself, seems to get a bit of stick over here; It's something we've seen before here on TB, where the great unwashed like to preach about why NOT to do swap, without having ever done one, or been near one. I swear, I'm half expecting someone to pipe up about how the extra weight will ruin the handling or that carputer predicts the lap-times to be infinitely slower than a standard car....

So, the plan is to do the swap, document the swap, in it's entirety, so that others may follow in the footsteps if they so wish. Its what we're all about here on TB. It's touted as a home builders swap, so should be perfect TB fodder. And whilst I'll have a few luxuries a home builder won't have, those with a lack of projects may start to look to the 'Bay and notice MK3's with blown engines are very common and are right down there with Mk2 prices, and those celica boys seem to crash quite a lot!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    The swap in itself, seems to get a bit of stick over here; It's something we've seen before here on TB, where the great unwashed like to preach about why NOT to do swap, without having ever done one, or been near one. I swear, I'm half expecting someone to pipe up about how the extra weight will ruin the handling or that carputer predicts the lap-times to be infinitely slower than a standard car....

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I think you're onto a winner..... I know the 2zz mk1 swaps get a bit of stick on here. To me in a mk3 it just makes sense given the ammount of work involved in 3s and v6 swaps on mk3s.

There's the semi sensible line; If you're paying someone to do the swap, then swapping a V6 is probably close to the same money as a 2ZZ; Donors are about the same too.

However, if you're doing the swap yourself.... Chalk and cheese!

You have a follower here, I have one of these

Which does this

So I got one of these

That is as far as I have got so far so will be watching this post very closely.

So, the swap is pretty much completed.

Very, very huge public thanks go to Mr Woods for my frankenstein gearbox build and to Mr Chambers (Aka Headcase) for his constant advice and patience. MOT should be next weekend, just got two front tyres on order and should really do Discs/Pads/Calipers/brake fluid too...

I have these subtle little puppies available with 4 brand spankers on

They FL or PFL?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast