Thread: SW20 turbo removal time

SW20 turbo removal time

It seems that the reason my 1992 SW20 is only boosting to 6lb is a hairline crack in the wastegate region. I believe the whole turbo needs to come out to fix this? While I was looking at the turbo, I started wondering how long did it take you to remove your first turbo off a 3sgte in an SW20, and how quickly can you do it now?

It's very simple in principle, it took me hardly any time but that was with the engine out. I think in the car it will be much more fiddly, there are definitely some awkward bolts to come off.

Get out the angle grinder and buy a bigger turbo. :thumbsup:

I've had the turbo on & off in situation about 8 times so far... biggest advice is not to try and cut corners by leaving things attached, etc. It's do-able in an evening, but do make sure you change all the gaskets carefully or you'll be doing it as many times as me.

Also, you'll need a custom socket to get the banjo oil to block bolt off, I think it's a 27mm but double check. That has two thin plate washers as most banjos do, so be careful of those. 2 of the 4 bolts which hold the turbo to the manifold can be hard to get to, so you'll need a nice long extender on your socket wrench - and make sure you have good access under the car, as you'll need to undo things from underneath (I always use two jacks and 2 axle stands because I shit it every time i'm under the car -i'm very paranoid/safety conscious hehe)

Oh - and don't forget, you can get away without a full oil change although it might help to drop a bit and then top up, but you'll certainly have to rebleed the coolant (and i'd suggest dropping that too, to avoid getting your work area wet when you undo the pipes to the turbo)

The actuator rod can be tricky to get off the wastegate too - so some thin-nose pliers are good there... don't lose that E clip though!!!
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

lok ash is a pro thats for sure!. have you done an error code pull yet on the 6Lbs issue?
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

The check engine light isn't flashing, and I haven't checked to see if there are any error codes stored in the computer. I'm trying to work on 3 mr2s at the moment, so in the interests of saving time I handed the SW20 over to a company that we deal with at work. They're very clued up bunch, and based on their tests they feel the problem's a hairline crack in the wastegate area. They modded a hose going to the actuator (put a pinhole in it ;) ) so it now boosts in the 7-8lb region. Given that it's the wife's car and she was pretty happy with it's performance at 6lb, I'm calling it quits there for now.