Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3S-GE swap

3S-GE swap

Hi there, was wondering if anyone knows if a 3S-GE engine conversion would go into a Mk1 Mr2? I would love to do the 3S-GTE conversion but can't afford it. Would be grateful if anyone can help. Ps, if it can be done, does anyone know where I might pick up the engine and ancillaries to do the job?

Cheers,

Ash.

rotflmao

Hi,

Its perfectly possible but I think the general feeling is that this swap is not worth the effort. The mk2 n/a is around 160bhp, the standard 4age will see a reliable 160bhp with cams and piggyback (around£1000 inc fitting).

If you can do the swap work yourself, your better off getting hold of a camry V6 and starting with that engine.

Regards Luke

If you search and take some time sourcing parts i think you mihgt do a v6 swap cheaper. Just from what i`ve read here.

Can anyone find a cheap v6 anymore? :twisted:

Its just the extra's that add up for the mk1, like sourcing gearbox, driveshafts, mech speed drive etc...

if you are after more power/torque without the expense of the 3S-GTE or V6 have you considered a 20v engine. whilst you will only get 150hp it is a direct bolt in replace to the 4AGE lump with only the electrics to sort out.

the 20V engine has quad throttle bodies and a 4-1 manifold as standard as well.

i have a 20v engine with all ancillaries bar a mk1 alternator and oil pressure sender unit which i am selling. it also comes with a modified Janspeed exhaust too.

I will take £750 for it complete which will be about £1500 less than a tubby conversion once fitted and wired in.

i think the tuning potential of the 20V engine with cams and piggyback ecu is 180-190hp and it'll sound really nice too.
    MK1.5 - fixed - turbo technics hybrid CT26, ST205 charge cooler, XS power manifold and decat (not split yet) air con to be sorted next

Oh, and its now running thanks to Jiff and BSM

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmr
    Can anyone find a cheap v6 anymore? :twisted:
    I guess the market value has gone through the roof last few years. Wonder whos fault that is:whistle: :careful:

This was my original idea, fit the 3sge then when i had money, swap straight over to the 3sgte.

Scrapped it, saved for a bit and am about to start on a V6. These folk know what they're talking about.

V6 Camrys have started appearing cheap again, there's plenty out there.

agreed with them lot, but i have a complete 3sge lump with ecu sittin on a pallet ready to go, £250 delivered.

missing a bit of loom, gearbox and flywheel.
    We ALL make mistakes....

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    agree with all the chaps above,dont waste your money on the 3s-ge swap,it is almost as difficult as a 3s-gte but 100bhp less...plus the extra weight of the 3s-ge over the 4a means the 35bhp you will gain will be almost lost... V6 it or save for a 3s-gte is the best advice we can give.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by foxy-stoat
    agreed with them lot, but i have a complete 3sge lump with ecu sittin on a pallet ready to go, £250 delivered.

missing a bit of loom, gearbox and flywheel.
    Add your mk2 gearbox, clutch, flywheel, loom, chassis mods, exhaust etc and you're looking at £700-800 before you start to get 160hp.

if you are after about 150-160hp cheap i would go for the 20V. at least it'll have some character over the 3sge lump.
    MK1.5 - fixed - turbo technics hybrid CT26, ST205 charge cooler, XS power manifold and decat (not split yet) air con to be sorted next

Oh, and its now running thanks to Jiff and BSM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast