Thread: Side skirt fitment

Side skirt fitment

Treated meself to a set of toms side skirts. Can anyone please tell me how to fit them to my correctly. They have marks on the top side what must be for drill holes. Do you drill these out and use self tappers to attach them to the sill? Will I need a bonding compound?

Hi

There are a number of ways you can go about this.

1, b4 drilling anything trial fit the skirt to the car first so that you know that it is a good fit.You will probably need to do some trimming here and there.

2, Once you know it goes against the car ok,you can either.

Drill a couple of holes(1 near front,1 near rear)in the lip with the indents in while skirt is in place,and thru the sill.Key the lip and corresponding paintwork on the sill with(skirt,P40-P80)(paint 180-240 wet and dry).

Apply bonding to one of them,push in place and fit with self tamper in the holes you drilled untill set.

Remove tapers then bodyfill etc until looks like part of the car.

OR 2

do same as above-Drill a couple of holes(1 near front,1 near rear)in the lip with the indents in while skirt is in place,and thru the sill.

but this will depend on how good the lip fits against your car on the sill,as obviously you want it to look pucker with now gaps etc.Might be a s simple as a light amount of pressure to make it fit snugg which means probably a couple of more holes.

but instead of screws use rivets,But make sure you put a smudge of sealant on the holes(sill) b4 fitting skirt so as to make sure ya car don't rust in future.

The front and rear of the skirt is held in place by rivets,screws on the inner lip of the front arch(were u attach the mud guard).sometimes you can use these screw so that u don,t need to drill any hole in your wings.

Same goes for the rear(the rear sill inner segment at bottom of car,not the thin section behind the vent).1 rivet,screw should suffice as if the skirts are good ones they will be held by the body strip above the vent as per original vent.

HTH

regards
    sie

Oh yeh

Also put some sealant on the inside of rear sill and front wings over the screws,rivets after fitting as these attachments are open to the weather and will rust otherwise.

Thanks very much for that mate! What kind of bonding compound do I use?

silkaflex if you can get it,or go to a good hardware store and ask them for some good adhesive sealants.I.E where you can get spanners,bolts etc from(not B&Q etc).

Personally if i was bonding it I would use fibreglass filler/or tissue to bond the lip to the sill.But this way you need to be good at knowing curing times etc or you will have to do alot of sanding and start again.

But then again I would not bond as you can not remove in future if u need to without wrecking them.