Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove the outer joints?

How to remove the outer joints?

I`m positioning my engine and thought i`d fit the joints and the shafts to align. However i can`t get the joint off the shaft. Took off the two clamps and the rubber thingy. Now i thought i should be able to just slide it out. is there some pin holding this to the shaft?

Cant help direct as I used different driveshafts, but this may be of use. Taken from a US? 1991 mr2 repair manual.

Right click and save target:
    http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/files/rear_drive_shaft.pdf

If you're referring to removing the outer CV joints to change for the correct ones to work with the swap - then you need a massive hammer and some arm power... just got to smack the outer cv until the washer inside shears and breaks
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

Worked:) Backside of an axe did the trick. New ones on with new rubber thingys. Struggeling to get the correct angle on the engine though. The oilpan is tilting forward a bit. Getting there i`m happy to say. Will continue tomorrow:) Beers now

Thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bob
    If you're referring to removing the outer CV joints to change for the correct ones to work with the swap - then you need a massive hammer and some arm power... just got to smack the outer cv until the washer inside shears and breaks
    How do you do this without destroying the CV? I whacked the SW20 outer CV until the ballrace deformed and it still won't pop off.

is there a blind circlip on the other end clean the inside of the cv of all the grease or have a look at the splines must be some thing stopping it just poping off.

had a look at a couple of sites and they say do not remove outer cv joint hmmm bolloxed i think.
    Last edited by snowtigger; 24-02-2008 at 01:55.

Well, everybody around here seems fond of smacking an ST165 outer joint on an SW20 axle as a solution for a Mk1.5 axle set. Sounds easy enough, right? :liar:

From what I gather, there's a blind snap ring in the axle shaft that holds the outer CV to the halfshaft. You can see the groove for it in this cross section.

I need to figure out a way to convince it to shear off.

okay then brutal time large sledge hammer and a vice put some nuts on the end to protect the threads as well bash it one way then the other should fatigue it enough to break use a block of wood on the threaded ends as well.

like they used to do at carnivals test your strength machines.

I spied a full-stop or two, in that one, folks!

Next week it'll be capital letters too...

:hidesbehi

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast