Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Turbo swap

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Mk2 Turbo swap

I hardly thought this even deserved a thread to be honest, we've done loads of these over the years despite our reputation for the V6 stuff, i hardly even consider it a conversion in all honesty as everything just bolts up, anyhoo just thought i'd show one we did this week (3 day job including the detailing and engine rebuild)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

That's hardly a build thread!

I know, a bit piss poor isn't it... but a Mk2 comes with this engine already, nothing to see here, move along.....

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

AH ha! Fuck you Mr Bodgesport man, just for that this is going to be a build thread in reverse!

Here is the engine just before being fitted....

Tomorrow i'll show you the engine dismantled.

No pics of the outside?

Looks brilliant.... to someone who's not seen it before : )

So it takes you 3 days,
    What's the woodsport cost?

And do you do any standard extras to improve power, torque or reliability?
    Last edited by Spook; 13-03-2012 at 23:25.

The conversion cost is £800, that's us dropping the old NA out, changing the fuel pump for a turbo/walbro, and fitting the turbo motor.

Added to that is parts, the cost of the turbo clip and any extras asked for, on this one i stripped it down and fitted all new gaskets/seals including an MLS gasket. Turbo motors are easy to tune, just turn the boost up and fit an FCD, or go further with a well trodden upgrade path to 300bhp+ , loads of aftermarket support with these. Only problem is reliabiity, they do tend to have their issues from time to time.

Yeah, seen a few turbos around spares or repair, and a lot of people I have spoken to seem to spend more time repairing them than driving them.

Either that or they managed to spin it. You never see a turbo with front end damage, always the side battered in when someone lost it.

They do seem to attract a certain type....

Do the upgrades you carry out make them a tad more robust?

C.

The upgraded head gasket and bolts are a must have in my opinion, forged pistons and billet steel crank if your going over 300bhp would be next, then hybrid or custom turbo the mk1 turbos conversions are monsters and chris that's why we love that certain type who loose it plenty of spare parts for the 2gr owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast