Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mr2 V6tt

Mr2 V6tt

Has anyone done this... Im seriously thinking (aka: already ordered turbos and parts for the manifold) about twin turboing the 3vz but Ive never seen first hard what a 3vz looks like in an mr2 bay. How much room is (or isnt) there. I plan on running 2 small t3 turbos that should support 10psi. My only issue is putting together my turbo manifold. If ill have enough room with the amount of engine flex back and forth between the firewall and the rear trunk wall. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this or if anyone has attempted it. Any pointers, advice, tips & tricks, cheat codes are welcome... lol

Thanx,
    -J

A few people have thought about the twin turbos, but realistically, they've ditched the idea in favour of a slightly larger single that's run from both banks.

If you do decide the engine is going to twin turbo, then you'd be needing something that's capable of being spooled by a 1.5ltr engine effectively, like a GT2560R. They can support upto 330bhp each, so realistically, you could get 500-600bhp running them, but you'll need a lot of cooling. A lot!

Well I know ill be using half the engine per turbo, but the issue is will they physically fit? I guess the only way to really find out is to drop the engine in and get welding... this should be fun... So as far as we know there isnt one TT mr2 v6? That makes it even more interesting...

-J

There is Flupstar's sequential TT on mr2oc.com.

If it's in a mk2 it's either remote mounting or longditudinal V6 with Audi box.

I tried T28s , if you move the oil filter then the front is easy all be it the gear cables will get very close to the downpipe . The rear is a pain you will need to create some room by boxing the rear bulkhead even then the downpipe would have had to take a strange route to get around the driveshaft and you might have to cut in to the box section.
    But the real big PITA would be all the plumbing , once i priced up 2 of everything i thought bugger it and sold them . TT sounds cool but in reality pointless and a huge project.
    Have you thought about remote fitting these under the boot floor? You wouldn't have much room for the exhaust silencer but it would be easier ,just pump the oil back to the sump with an electric motor . It's just an idea after seeing that Porker with turbos shoved up it's chuff .
    Node in the states made a TT 5vz but soon junked them for a single , they sat over the gearbox . Much easier to do on the 5vz than 3vz .

So with that said, does that mean that there is no room for the turbos unless you I do some flipping of the motor... This sequential turbo setup is quite interesting. I dont want to remote mount the turbo into my trunk... I was thinking of kinda slinging it low to clear the rear and front walls. I dont want to really tear into the trunk and etc to mount the turbos. Ill try and figure something out.

-J

Wombat- sorry i replyed when u were replying, i was planning on moving the oil filter so the front i expected to be easy, but the rear, i was thinking of dropping it kinda low and tucking it up close to the block to brace and get it out the way... I guess im still in my planning phase... Unfortunately my planning consists of buying parts then figuring out how to make them fit... i think i need to work on that...

-J

You won't get the back one to fit without cutting the car , the only other way it would of gone on would be to bring the manifold up over the cam cover and have the turbo above it with a custom intake .
    The engine tilts back putting the back bank close to the cross member , then if you have a supperted shaft the carrier takes up a lot of room .
    I tried fitting my CT20 at the front of the engine , it did fit but touched everything thats without a downpipe , the manifold would of been about 2 inches long ! You look at the engine and think easy theres space all over the place but when you put a turbo near it you see it's just non starter .

aaahhhh this is not good news as I have already started ordering things... i might just have to do a single turbo setup but i really wanted to do the twin turbo setup, well see what happens when stuff gets here, i might be able to figure out a way to make it happen... i have a few crazy ideas in my head... just gotta see if i can get them to work. What makes the 5vz easier to twin than the 3vz?

-J

You ever think about trying a twincharger setup with a larger turbo to pick up the high end and super for the low? There's a thread from another forum that discusses some ideas for how to put it together and maybe even make it work http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=13186 There's some diagrams of different ideas in there although I personally like the VW design myself. And like Johnny G mentioned, get a lot of cooling.

I'm fairly new to this, so don't be afraid of hurting my feelings and telling me why it's a dumb idea :P

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast