Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting second Radiator

Fitting second Radiator Fan

I fitted a second rad fan and it didn't kick in with the existing one. Checked the fuse box and I think I need a relay for it.

Anyone have an idea which one I need, as there's a few different positions, main fan, fan 1, 2 ,3.

Couldn't find my volt meter to check for continuity. Cheers
    Last edited by Garbe; 07-07-2008 at 13:11.

Can u not wire it into the 1st fan's circuit?

There's already a circuit there, I would imagine its there for a reason. Two fans on one circuit will probably over load it, melted wires etc.

Och, just up the fuse, you'll be fine.

We have to do similar on mk1's when we 1.5 them, we end up with engine bay fan, intercooler fan etc on the one circuit, all we do is up the fusage 5 amps.

If u want them both to come on at the same time and not staged for bringing the 2nd in at a higher temp, i'd stick them on the same circuit.

Take electrical advice from Olberj? rotflmao :D rotflmao

upping the fuse would work if your sure the wiring can take it. Otherwise I'd add it in with a separate relay, triggered from the first fan.

But..... does it actually NEED a second fan?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    Take electrical advice from Olberj? rotflmao :D rotflmao
    rotflmao rotflmao

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    But..... does it actually NEED a second fan?
    Has the space for one and it only cost £11 delivered.

I think it should operate of the same switch, so not staggered, just need to find out which relay I need.

I've stuck one in the space as well when I had the radiator out, must admit not checked to see it comes on yet! rotflmao

Another thing to add to the to do list.

relays are nothing more than a switch. Standard 4 pin relay would do the job. Or you could go really funky and use a 5 pin relay to do a "manual overide" style switch....

When I get 2 mins (and given current workload that'll be 2009) I'll do a post for the electrical section :thumbsup:

In the meantime, if it gets really desperate, give me a call.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

No rush Jiff, although 2009 is a bit of a push lol

Going away tomorrow for 10 days, I'll check for contiuity into the fust box and find out where the darn thing is supposed to go. Will give you a call when i'm back.:thumbsup:

Mr2's have awesome cooling efficiency as is, another fan is just extra weight i reckon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast