Thread: OK to use standard braided lines with celica brake calipers?

OK to use standard braided lines with celica brake calipers?

Hi guys, new member here. Picked up my Mk1a last sunday and got straight to work pulling it to pieces! My main priority for now is a suspension rebuild, but as the brakes need completely rebuilding I'm thinking it may be a good time to upgrade them. I'm wondering if the goodridge braided lines for the AW11 will bolt on to the ST165 calipers OK or if I need different flexible brake lines?

Also, I found the ST165 calipers on brakes international and they are pictured as being sliding calipers, both pistons on one side of the disc. I thought they were twin opposed piston calipers, one pot on each side of the disc?

Welcome aboard!

St165 calipers are twin pot, sliding calipers (both on 1 side). ST185 calipers are a single pot caliper that use a larger disc, then finally you've the mighty GT4 four pot calipers (2 each side).

I've got the 185's fitted to mine and I was able to retain the braided hoses I'd fitted to the standard MK1b calipers, so I can't see you having any problems.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Hi bud, just to confirm, the ST165 calipers are compatible with the standard AW11 brake lines.

yep, i had 165 calipers with goodridge aw11 hoses, no probs fitting, a good upgrade on standard size discs, more than enough for the road:thumbsup:
    Got the mk1 back.........not sure what to do now!:idea:

Sorted! Thanks guys, will get the lines ordered today.