Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRS V8 Twin Turbo ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MRS V8 Twin Turbo ?

Been thinking of this one for a quite a while now. Did some measuring some time ago and found the 1/3UZ on a north / south transaxle should fit a treat. Fuel tank needs moving to the front and the cupboards will go, but other than that it should be quite a straight forward conversion.

Has anyone else had a similar thought? It was only the rearward positioning of the rear wheel compared to the SW20 that made me consider it a possibility.

I shall explore this one further when a suitable shell presents itself, if only I had pots on money ;)

Lyndon.

Could you draw up a diagram for me, i cant see how a N/S V8 will fit in a MRS. Its super small, where will the turbo's sit??

Which gearbox u thinking of using? And located where, infront of or behind the engine like Podge did?

If you go inline there'll be plenty of room for twin turbo's, it's just the drivetrain that's gonna be complicated.

I assume your thinking of cutting the firewall as you said the cupboards have to go. There was a very cheap engineless mk3 on here a little while ago. If you think you could do it, it'd hav been perfect.

Give us an idea of how you'd go about it chief. :thumbsup:

Paul mentioned that this could be done some months ago when I was discussing details of my swap. The engine bay is bigger than some folks realise and it is a definite possibility.
    Details are the next step and it will be very interesting to see this done.
    The skills are out there to do this, just needs someone with the time and money to go for it. Don't suppose for one moment that it will be cheap, but how unique would this be?:thumbsup: Very cool!

The sound would be something else , and performance would be totally blistering. Need to get serious amounts of air into that engine bay though, so body surgery as well, i bet.
    Mind you, you'll still get the ignorant knockers ,as I have with the V6 , saying, " Oh dear, you've upset the balance of a finely tuned machine, what a horrible thing to do!"
    Bah! Nonsense, its the TB way and its an incorrect opinion anyway.
    Go for it! I'd love to see this one in the flesh, I'd love to own one even more!
    Got to enjoy the V6 first though! lol

Quote Originally Posted by loadswine
    Paul mentioned that this could be done some months ago when I was discussing details of my swap. The engine bay is bigger than some folks realise and it is a definite possibility.
    Details are the next step and it will be very interesting to see this done.
    The skills are out there to do this, just needs someone with the time and money to go for it. Don't suppose for one moment that it will be cheap, but how unique would this be?:thumbsup: Very cool!

The sound would be something else , and performance would be totally blistering. Need to get serious amounts of air into that engine bay though, so body surgery as well, i bet.
    Mind you, you'll still get the ignorant knockers ,as I have with the V6 , saying, " Oh dear, you've upset the balance of a finely tuned machine, what a horrible thing to do!"
    Bah! Nonsense, its the TB way and its an incorrect opinion anyway.
    Go for it! I'd love to see this one in the flesh, I'd love to own one even more!
    Got to enjoy the V6 first though! lol
    The 1uz Is a light big bugger toolol

Yes, I've heard this. This could be the swap of choice for the future!

If i win the 29 million dollar Lottery on New years i am going to get one and see how high i can make it rev too and use a Flat plane Crank aswell lol

It would make my willy Zing.

***Crosses fingers*** :P

Now to be serious. How much does that Audi Box that podge is using weigh?

i think the problem with the 1uz would be deck height, i am trying to put a LS2 in there with a porsche box from a 911TT. now that is the plan, where as I have the measurements and in all honesty it will fit, albeit i ahven't figured out how to route air just yet, and seeing as all i have is the LS2 and nothing else, I am none to sure about the spyder itself. handling torque and increased weight, IIRC the bias is already 45/55, I can imagine what the LS2 is going to do to that, along with the porsche box. if after all is said and done i have only added 200-250 lbs i'll be one happy son of a gun.

so... not to take away from your ideal, I think your biggest issue will be your hood.

I put a 1UZ in a camry for a buddy of mine, we never could get the block low enough to not be sticking out of the bay by over 2"
    i like cheese

Could a Dry sump help?:)

Bracing would be absolutely essential to allow the Mk3 to deal with all that instant torque. Weight distribution might be pretty good actually, as you probably wouldn't add that much more weight over a 3vz-fe swap, plus, you're putting a big chunk of that weight further forward, which makes it even more mid engined, (if that makes sense!) or at least where it will be more neutral in terms of distribution.
    Yes , it probably won't have the agility of an Elise, but it was never going to be quite as agile anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast