Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: snazbaz's mk2 v6 swap

snazbaz's mk2 v6 swap

Hey chaps, finally sourced a camry so my swap can begin (just in time for the nice weather! :) - will be slow for the first few weeks since the garage is full of golf engine bits and pieces at the moment so I can't get the 3vz out yet!

The engine has 140k miles on it but so far looks like it has been well cared for and pulls nice and smooth.

The next few weeks will be spent selling unwanted parts of the camry (notice the brand new radiator? :D). I will also removing/cleaning/labelling up all the smaller bit and pieces. The garage is currently occupied with another project so I can't get the engine out yet:

Here is a picture of my rev2 turbo SW20 which is a potential target for the engine, however this is not set in stone yet (I may buy a cheap N/A instead).

I will probably go down the Fidanza flywheel route, do I need a N/A or Turbo box for this to work - and does anyone have a good link where I can buy one (the flywheel)?

-Ian

Good to see some progress in the SW :thumbsup:

You have a few options as I understand it.

You can use this with a full turbo clutch and turbo gearbox:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDAN...spagenameZWD2V

Or, you can use the same flywheel with an NA box but you need to use a Turbo pressure plate and NA friction plate (This is wht I have done).

This flywheel lets you use a NA gearbox and full NA clutch but you need the holes modified (4v6 does this):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDAN...spagenameZWD2V

HTH and look forward to following another DIY thread :thumbsup:

I guess i'm not too far away so let me know if you need anything.....
    My build thread -> Clicky
    My Build progress -> |-----------------------------------------|

Trust the weather to go bad as soon as I get my camry

Here's some 4v6 art instead:

Get an umbrella and do the swap on the driveway - lol

really good to see some home brew swaps happening! Both donors looking in fab condition.

Got yourself a nice 9" grinder for the camry? lol
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbe
    Get an umbrella and do the swap on the driveway - lol
    Bonnet is now poking almost under my porch :D Problem solved! Don't think the neighbours are too impressed though :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    Got yourself a nice 9" grinder for the camry? lol
    :woc:

Guessing I don't need any of this wiring (looks like just the lights) :fingersx:

Camry showing all it's bits:

Got some more stuff done today and have some questions!

Firstly, tried undoing the crank pulley bolt...

Couldn't figure out if you could get the auto box in gear somehow to make this easier, and the belts just slipped when doing it that way (even tensioned up as much as I dare). In the end opted for starter motor power:

One broken socket later and it's loose :D

Played some naughts and crosses on the camry:

1) Inlet and throttle body is pretty manky, is this bad?

2) What are the things I need to take off and get modified by Mr Woods? Is this one of them?

3) Other than the looms that go into the 4 plugs that go into the ECU, am I right in thinking I don't need any of the other wiring from the car?

4) Do I use the camry coil or the mr2 coil?

5) I've noticed most people seem to take the whole engine+gearbox out of the camry, is it possible to seperate them in situ and just lift the engine out or is this difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by snazbaz
    1) Inlet and throttle body is pretty manky, is this bad?
    This is pretty normal, caused by the EGR and engine breathers....

2) What are the things I need to take off and get modified by Mr Woods? Is this one of them?
    Yep, that's the Idle Speed Control Valve.

3) Other than the looms that go into the 4 plugs that go into the ECU, am I right in thinking I don't need any of the other wiring from the car?
    Yep, just 6" of loom and the 4th ECU plug, that's all.

4) Do I use the camry coil or the mr2 coil?
    You need the camry coil, take it off along with the bracket because you need the camry igniter and there is a little "thing" on the bracket too.

5) I've noticed most people seem to take the whole engine+gearbox out of the camry, is it possible to seperate them in situ and just lift the engine out or is this difficult?
    I got my engine from a breakers so can't comment but imagine it's easier to rip the lot out.
    HTH
    Good progress so far btw.
    My build thread -> Clicky
    My Build progress -> |-----------------------------------------|

Quote Originally Posted by black_mk1
    HTH
    Good progress so far btw.
    Thanks for help so far :thumbsup:

Bonus picture of today's casualties:

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast