Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mk1 to mk2 brake conversion?

Mk1 to mk2 brake conversion?

Hey guys, I've been thinking about this for a little bit. We really have limited choices when it comes to brake upgrades. We have to machine rotors and do alot of modification.

So i was thinking, is it possible to convert everything over to the mk2 brakes?
    that would change our bolt pattern to a more aftermarket friendly pattern
    And that would also allow us to get even larger brakes.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    st165 twin pot celica brakes are the same spec as mk2 brakes and are a direct fit onto a mk1,no mods at all,they just bolt on.

Mk2 rear calipers also fit a mk1 and allow a vented disc on the rear

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

do u need the hubs of a mk2 then

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    nope,the celica brakes bolt straight on as do mk2 rears but mk2 rear calipers need a different disc

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

If you do go this route on the rears then be very specific when you order the disks. For some reason many seem to be a multi fit type with two different 5 stud PDCs , which leaves us no room to drill our own wxtra 4x100. I mailed a supplier and asked specifically only to be assured they only had one set of holes and was still sent the wrong ones :slap:

Happy braking,

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Which MK2 calipers will fit a MK1, do you need the carriers as well ? and does the handbrake still connect up OK ? I remember reading about someone ( blowed if I can remember where I read it, one of the "land down under " forums I think ) with MK2 calipers on the rear, using MK1 front disc's + a spacer behind the disc to centre it, IIRC they had to use longer studs. Anyone any idea what other studs fit ? Sounds like the kind of brake upgrade I would like, might help to balance the front/rear bias more to my liking, I've always found it quite easy to lock the fronts. Any other probs with this ? Is the standard master cylinder up to it ?
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Im also leaning towards changing the bolt pattern
    the celica brake upgrade would keep result in the same bolt pattern wouldnt it?

i would really like to change the bolt pattern.

how much of an upgrade are the St 165 compared to the Stock MK1 brakes. It seems like if you don't increase the rotor size at all then your not really accomplishing much but creating more heat.

Oh no, the ST165's are a huge gain over the standard brakes.

Back to back testing they were taking about a 3rd off the stopping distances.

the ST165 caliper is a two piston opposed caliper as opposed to the single piston sliding caliper that the mk1 is. this give more even brake pressure on the disk. this caliper runs with the standard mk1b disc and is the cheapest upgrade. It works very well too and you can run standard wheels with it.

the rear mk2 caliper is a rev 2 onwards with the 22v mark on it. you use a corrado G60 front disc with this and space out the disc to fit it to the mk1 hub.
    MK1.5 - fixed - turbo technics hybrid CT26, ST205 charge cooler, XS power manifold and decat (not split yet) air con to be sorted next

Oh, and its now running thanks to Jiff and BSM

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast