PDA

View Full Version : intercooler location

robwsurf
28-10-2005, 19:25
i am going for a boot mounted intercooler, drawing air from below, but isnt the exhaust right below? so drawing in hot air when still?

or am i better going for a scoop onto under the spoiler?

what are you guys doing?

Also not planning on cutting into the boot for manifold clearance, has anyone else done this or has everyone cut it away?

adamh
28-10-2005, 20:05
i chopped my boot away, it made putting the inlet manifold back on real easy, and getting to the engine mount on the cam side to tack it manage-able, its good for access.
im boot mounting my ic with a chopped floor and mk1b side vent on top. if a siingle pipe exit exhaust turns up i'll mount the back box on the left side, and make a duct for the right. if a twin exit turns up.. i'll run a tin-bashed scoop through the chopped rear wall into the bay.

robwsurf
28-10-2005, 20:28
was thinking about about putting a vent in side behind wheel arch and venting down through the floor? but my problem is time only got a couple of week s at most in workshop

so think i will have to do in through floor and out of back part of the boot, through holes where it normally says mr2 on bootlid

adamh
28-10-2005, 22:36
in that case, check up on podges venting system.. quit ingenious and no hacking up of the boot visible

Sooty
30-10-2005, 23:14
Took some pics today at Gareth's. This is my intercooler.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/10/37.jpg

Paul Woods
31-10-2005, 06:45
holy crap sooty! im liking that!

podge
31-10-2005, 07:40
same cooler as mine thier huge aint they me like

Paid2getdirty
31-10-2005, 17:08
It's not quite as long as yours podge, only a 450mm long core but it's turned out to be better as a 600mm one would not allow me to be able to install the fan while the cooler is bolted in place. Just got to make an elbow for the n/s now and fit another extraction tube.

superchargedsam
31-10-2005, 19:18
looking good !

adamh
31-10-2005, 20:54
:smile: nice beer chiller

kirkosaurus
27-11-2005, 06:28
I just finished my new intercooler relocation and I'm pretty happy with it. It stays really cool with the big hole I cut in the engine lid! :)

http://home.comcast.net/~mk1point5/Intercooler/New_IC_location-003.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mk1point5/Intercooler/New_IC_location-011.jpg

Paul Woods
27-11-2005, 08:38
that really is route 1 isnt it,no long pipework at all,turbo straight into IC and then a small bend into TB,you got a big fan under that kirk?

kirkosaurus
27-11-2005, 09:13
hi paul. Yeah I've got a 10" spal fan but there's no room for it underneath. I still need to sort out the intake and other stuff to make some room under there.

Paul Woods
27-11-2005, 09:17
what about modding the lid some more,fit a turbo vent on the lid over the ic and stick the fan on top of the ic? theres a good 2" of space above it when you do that....just an idea.

kirkosaurus
27-11-2005, 16:12
I've got an SC lid that I will probably mod later.

4agte
30-11-2005, 22:56
i am going for a boot mounted intercooler, drawing air from below, but isnt the exhaust right below? so drawing in hot air when still?

or am i better going for a scoop onto under the spoiler?

what are you guys doing?

Also not planning on cutting into the boot for manifold clearance, has anyone else done this or has everyone cut it away?
i have done some pressure testing with a good friend of mine who is an air conditioning engineer.

On my i/c setup i am going to duct the air out the back of the car where the numberplate is usually and wanted to duct it using a scoop on the bootlid hopefully using the -tive pressure behind the car and the +tive pressure ontop of the bootlid. I originally wanted to duct the air from under the car but the exhaust was in the way.

Using some pressure difference testing equipment scott brought over we started by testing the pressure difference between the bootlid and the numberplate this showed pretty much 0 pressure difference at 80-100km/hr.
2nd place to be tested was the rear quater panel which showed marginal difference but not enough (you would proabably have to do 200km/hr to get any flow).

Next place was on the side of the c pillar where you see the sw20 scoops that people put on their cars. This showed a huge pressure difference at even 40-50km/hr.

Last place we tested was at the back of the roof just above the rear windscreen this showed a similar difference to the c pillar.

So if i was to use a scoop on the bootlid i would have needed a fan to draw air into the i/c.

Hope this helps