View Full Version : loose nuts.

adamh
30-09-2007, 18:38
today i got under neath the second love of my life to see if she was still tight after a few months of giving it some :) , answer, of course not. i found both sides the rear strut arms the retaining nuts on the back were loose, and on the front strut rods to suspension mounts!. this is probably due to the fact there was no locking device on the strut rod nut & dish washer (there wasn't on mine, i cannot recall a locking washer) can somebody confirm this please?.

i could unscrew the f*ckers with my fingers!. so i used some loctite thread locker as you do and re-tightened them, it shouldnt affect the suspension geometry as i was doing up both that nut and the one infront of the the lower arm equally. for the fronts i just did up the very front nut, which could possibly give me a steeper castor by a smidge. few other things i found ever so slightly loose were the drop link nuts, part from, that alls well, i had the disks and calipers off up front still looking good, and everything else was good. check your nuts are in good shape !

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/loose1.jpg

lodgeman
30-09-2007, 19:18
yep ad they have locking washers! i think i may have some if you want? would only be used though!

adamh
30-09-2007, 19:34
its allright i got some at work now i know it should have some, loctite will do it for just now. the rears and fronts needing tightening now feels tighter, no drift at gear change :whistle:

weegaz22
05-10-2007, 14:12
ill be checking everything on the car this weekend, as its tramlining really bad, just want to make sure everythings tight and solid, noticed that when dave had the geometry done that there was a little advisory note saying nyloc nuts werent used, so a bottle of loctite should sort that

David Sleith
05-10-2007, 17:23
ill be checking everything on the car this weekend, as its tramlining really bad, just want to make sure everythings tight and solid, noticed that when dave had the geometry done that there was a little advisory note saying nyloc nuts werent used, so a bottle of loctite should sort that

The konis are screwed right down to the hardest setting too Gary so softening them up a bit should cure that. Did you find that locking wheel nut key as I've not had a chance to get into the garage. They put it in the ashtray but I'm not sure if I took it out.

Marksman
07-10-2007, 23:36
Sounds like a plan, would you like to do it or shall I start one tomorrow?

Ta,

Owen.

weegaz22
07-10-2007, 23:40
Sounds like a plan, would you like to do it or shall I start one tomorrow?

Ta,

Owen.

ill let you start it:thumbsup: