View Full Version : Anyone disappointed with their mk1.5?

kender
24-09-2007, 08:56
Anyone going WTF???? lol
Perhaps a little background info is required here. I have an AW11 race car with a standard 165hp 4azge motor, and I've just bought a 1992 SW20 GTS turbo as a road car. Today I attended a trackday organised by the MR2 club and drove both cars, and I have to say that I was disappointed with the SW20. The motor went flat over 5000rpm, felt to have sod all acceleration out of the corners and couldn't match the AW11 in top speed down the main straight. Even in the wet, the back end never felt like it was going to step out under acceleration. The motor and turbo were reconditioned 50,000km ago.

Now here's why I asked if anyone was disappointed in their mk1.5s. I'm planning the do a 3sgte swap in December, and have a donor car sorted out, but after today I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake. Should I turbo the 4agze instead?

cheers
kender

Zip
24-09-2007, 09:10
Why not go mk1.6 if you are worryed about being disapoited with the power delivery?
They pull right through the range while being music to the ears after 4k RPM :)

Jiff Lemon
24-09-2007, 09:16
Went out in my 1.6 for the first time in about a month; Emerged from the car with the biggest of grins.

I've been out in a few 1.5's too and they too never fail to dissapoint.

1.5 or 1.6. The result is the same :thumbsup:

nik
24-09-2007, 09:17
any idea what your tubby is putting down..?
might be worth a trip to the dyno..you are running a ct26 on it i presume..what psi..? the ct26 does top out and become breathless fairlyquickly but i am surprised yours is gutless at 5k..
also youre not thinking about the weight of an sw20..is yours stock or have you stripped it at all..?
what weight is your mk1 race car..?
you could turbo the 4agze but if your wanting big numbers whats the point..? a lot of cash, relatively unproved reliability, small capacity and you already have a 3sgte sitting there..

i can honestly say my 1.5 running stock 13psi (245bhpish) is absolutely bonkers..it has never once disspointed me..plus you have the option of easily turning the boost up for more horses..
as for v6..probably not a good option seeing as though you have a donor tubby already..

kender
24-09-2007, 09:20
I'd prefer to go 3sgte rather than v6 as I think the 3s will be an easier fit (and I have access to a crashed SW20 turbo cheaply;) ) Shouldn't an SW20 have a noticable surge in power as the turbo spools up?

The SW20 is completely standard (not sure what the boost level is standard on a Ct26). The aw11 weighs 1093kg.

MartG
24-09-2007, 09:22
Get a proper boost gauge fitted to see what its actually doing - from the sound of it something isn't working properly in the boost department:confused:

nik
24-09-2007, 09:22
ask anyone thats backed one into a lamppost..!
yes they do give you a kick in the backside as the power comes in but you either alter your driving style or shell out on a progressive boost controller..
lots of fun either way..

kender
24-09-2007, 09:27
I definately didn't receive a kick in the backside. I wouldn't even count it as a small "excuse me. may I accelerate if it's not too much trouble"lol

nik
24-09-2007, 09:45
lol...
get a boost gauge on there and see whats going on in that department..

nik
24-09-2007, 09:46
where in the uk are you kender..?
are you coming to the pod next month..?
would happily take you out in the 1.5..

kender
24-09-2007, 09:47
Thanks for the replies.

I've just found an article on installing a boost gauge, so I'll do that and see what it tells me.

kender
24-09-2007, 10:12
where in the uk are you kender..?
are you coming to the pod next month..?
would happily take you out in the 1.5..

Thanks for the offer nik, however I'm in New Zealand, and I'm not prepared to commute that far lol

nik
24-09-2007, 10:13
lol..oops

biteme
24-09-2007, 10:15
It's ok, Nik will go to you

Sponge Bob
24-09-2007, 11:40
Yep - definitely running wrong... I thought that it was slow when I had mine running for the first time - and then once I sorted all the boost problems out it was just insanely fast...!! Ridiculously fast!!!!

Arkwright
24-09-2007, 11:55
Yep - definitely running wrong... I thought that it was slow when I had mine running for the first time - and then once I sorted all the boost problems out it was just insanely fast...!! Ridiculously fast!!!!

Possibly even "Ludicrous Speed"? :hidesbehi :eek2:

Charged
24-09-2007, 12:24
Disapointed with my 1.5? in a word ... NO!

I went from a 170ish BHP mk1 supercharger to a 240ish BHP 1.5... different animals completely. The 1.5 is soooo much quicker.

Sounds like you have running problems with the probe.

OlberJ
24-09-2007, 12:39
Indeed, best to rip out the engine and do some work on it then stick it in the mk1.

It's really no contest between a mk1.5/6 and the 4agze, despite what you might hear on other forums.

But what i will say is, and the reason i went for mk1.6, is that out of all the 1.5's on here, most of them have had trouble at some point, whereas the V6's (although very limited numbers) performs well each and every time.

For a track car though, a well looked after and sorted 1.5 will be the one to go for.

weegaz22
24-09-2007, 13:27
if its a track car id avoid the v6 and stick with the turbo lump as the extra rpm's from turbo engine is going to be more useful on track

having just driven a 1.5 on friday there i can say it should definetly be noticable in power dept

biteme
24-09-2007, 13:38
What about a V6 with ported head? They give power right up to the 7100rpm rev limit and it's more linear torque curve as well.

OlberJ
24-09-2007, 13:52
If it's a track car though you're only interested in the top say 3rd of the power graph as that's where it spends all of it's time.

3SGTE would probably make a better track car withing similar cost levels.

Spend a bit more on the V6, as you said heads and possibly a SC of sorts then it's game over 3S.

Sponge Bob
24-09-2007, 14:06
But if you keep things relative - i.e. compare the stock engines or both engines with exactly the same money spent on them, then i'd say the 3S-GTE would be more ideal on the track...

Plus the 3S only has one head so your money goes further :hidesbehi

msherry21
24-09-2007, 14:09
its all nonsense, Its all about the noise, 4 cylinders just doesn't cut it anymore, its 6 or more, thats the end of it! Oh and an extra litre on top just for that final kick in the nuts.

OlberJ
24-09-2007, 14:53
I reckon without spending anything on the engine, just homebrew and a decent exhaust you're looking at 220ish BHP on the V6, plus a whole heap of torque from 2.5K. STandard V6 engine will cost you about £700 in parts including gearbox, head gaskets etc.

Same price for a 3SGTE and box, similar power to start with but easy to get up to 270BHP.

It's down to the power graphs though, have a look at both of them, then look where you spend the time driving the car.

Select that area of the power graph and work out your torque from there.

Whichever has more will be quicker for your driving style/use.

Charged
24-09-2007, 15:00
For a track car its got to be the v6 surely?! No savage turbo kick to send you spinning into the gravel...

I really must bag a ride in a V6 one day soon (Mk1 of course!!)

msherry21
24-09-2007, 15:03
That was my thinking behind it Charged, you can get the power down soo early out the corner without any worry about hitting full boost and spinning, great fun, bye bye turbo!

Sponge Bob
24-09-2007, 15:32
Horses for courses at the end of the day... there is no definitive answer so as Olber says, it's whatever takes your fancy really...! :thumbsup:

adamh
24-09-2007, 19:36
i cannay wait until a trackday lol

OlberJ
24-09-2007, 20:50
Hell i can't wait to see the outcome of Santa Pod never mind a track day!

Arkwright
25-09-2007, 08:26
Still open to bribes chaps :hidesbehi

Rowdan
25-09-2007, 16:15
Anyone going WTF???? lol
Perhaps a little background info is required here. I have an AW11 race car with a standard 165hp 4azge motor, and I've just bought a 1992 SW20 GTS turbo as a road car. Today I attended a trackday organised by the MR2 club and drove both cars, and I have to say that I was disappointed with the SW20. The motor went flat over 5000rpm, felt to have sod all acceleration out of the corners and couldn't match the AW11 in top speed down the main straight.

Sorry to get back on topic ;) I went from a Ae101 4agze Mk1 to a 1992 GTS Turbo. At first I was very disappointed <:( , in my case I don't think this was down to lack of performance in the Mk2 just a difference between Mk1's and Mk2's and superchargers and turbo's.

After several months of Mk2 ownership i do now enjoy driving it, I'm unsure wether my driving style has altered to suit the car or my expectations have diminished. I'm not sure wether I would feel the same if I owned both at the same time (don't think I would do much mileage in the Mk2 if I did).

A Mk1.5 (which I have never owned though have had rides) I cannot imagine ever being a dissapointment (having the best of both worlds in my opinion) unless your Msherry and you have a Mk1V6 Supercharger:drool: .

As you have the opportunity because it's your track car, check the tubby is running right, then slam the motor in a Mk1. :thumbsup:

None of this is a dig or side swipe at Mk2's as I am now an owner of one, which i am liking more and more. That said it has never given me the feeling I got from driving either of my Mk1's.... but has never had bits fall off after a spirited drive or heavy downpour.

Right should have upset everyone....my work here is done. ;)

kender
26-09-2007, 11:10
Sorry to get back on topic ;) I went from a Ae101 4agze Mk1 to a 1992 GTS Turbo. At first I was very disappointed <:( , in my case I don't think this was down to lack of performance in the Mk2 just a difference between Mk1's and Mk2's and superchargers and turbo's.

I had to read this a few times to see if you were quoting me as the details for both our mk1 and mk2 cars are the same lol

I'm not convinced it's simply a case of different cars as the SW20 wouldn't pull over 5000rpm. I was talking to a fellow racer today who told me he had a pinhole in one of the hoses connected with his turbo and so was only pulling 0.9bar instead of 1.4bar. I bought a boost gauge today, so this weekend I'll be fitting that, looking for pinholes in black hoses (potentially needle in haystack syndrome) and probably trying a pod filter on it as well.

Arkwright
26-09-2007, 12:27
Could the Fairy Liquid test be helpful in your haystack search?

nik
26-09-2007, 13:50
if not at least youll get a clean engine bay and fairy soft hands..

risingsun
26-09-2007, 16:33
Might wanna think about getting a ct20b rather than the ct26 as this tends not to run out of puff over 5500rpm, just a thought.

Icsunonove
26-09-2007, 18:43
Anyone going WTF???? lol
Perhaps a little background info is required here. I have an AW11 race car with a standard 165hp 4azge motor, and I've just bought a 1992 SW20 GTS turbo as a road car. Today I attended a trackday organised by the MR2 club and drove both cars, and I have to say that I was disappointed with the SW20. The motor went flat over 5000rpm, felt to have sod all acceleration out of the corners and couldn't match the AW11 in top speed down the main straight. Even in the wet, the back end never felt like it was going to step out under acceleration. The motor and turbo were reconditioned 50,000km ago.

Kender,

As a fellow trackdayer with a big pulleyed Supercharger (running 12.5psi of boost) I can honestly say that you won't be disappointed with the 3SGTE. I drove the Mk1.5 I helped my mate build at the Anglesey track in Wales. I also drove my Supercharger, so it was interesting to drive them back to back. Now bearing in mind the Mk1.5 had an electrical fault which meant that it wasn't boosting above 6psi I wasn't expecting much. And I was seriously worried that that huge lump of an engine would seriously upset the handling.

I was wrong! I felt totally at home in it, no horrible snap oversteer at all. And the engine pulled really well, I honestly couldn't tell that it was turbocharged. No horrible lag, nothing.

I was really looking forward to driving it at full boost at Donington the following week, but unfortunately the car got smashed up and written off.:cry:

Tom