PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR OIL LEAK ON 3SGTE rev3

THE LOCKER
06-09-2007, 16:57
I have been road testing my conversion everything seemed to be ok been keeping an eye on all the guages and coolant levels, been driving fine for last two weeks a fault code has popped up and said that the air temp sensor is faulty which is no big deal been driving it with the fault until i could get hold of a new sensor. After a drive checked the oil and nearly the whole contents of the engine have been dumped somewhere on the roads, the pressure on the guage never dropped below normal levels and the engine until putting it back in the garage seemed fine, it then made a tappety sound (not suprising really). Gonna investigate the cause this weekend but I suspect it could be the oil pressure sender in the block, i used the original 4age sender but the threads were'nt that clever and im wondering if thats the culprit.
Has anyone else experienced problems with the 4age sender in the 3sgte block or has anyone else experienced oil leaks on this scale.
Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Sponge Bob
06-09-2007, 17:09
[thanks Murf lol]

If you're dumping whole loads of it then perhaps you have left a hose off... mine drops a little oil - it weeps from the pan and a bit comes from the head, but certainly not whole loads of it!!!

I'm still on the 3S-GTE sender unit so I can't really confirm whether or not there are problems with the 4A-GE one, but it's not something I've heard of...

Murf
06-09-2007, 17:17
You do need the air temp sender on the rev3 setup! Is it the AIT sensor or the MAT sensor thats knacked?

adamh
06-09-2007, 18:55
you wont miss the mess then!.

have you not got the oil pressure sender position in the head to utilise?

i made an extension piece for the mk1 analogue sender so the threads were o.k of course, think i used 1/8 npt 27tpi for the mk1 sender to screw into. although 1/8 bsp 28 tpi will do fine. either way you can use some p.t.f.e tape (polytetrafluroethylene / i think lol) and give it a few wraps that will help take up small amounts of slack in the threads where ever it is. if youve cross threaded it you will have a job sealing, its touch and go with lashings of ptfe tape.

hopefully that isnt your problem i could see it bieng a bugger to repair a cast iron hole.

THE LOCKER
07-09-2007, 07:58
Yeah gonna have a good look this weekend and find the problem before putting anymore oil in, a few things need sorting anyhow.