PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen a V6 Camry 5 speed?

Beemer
21-08-2007, 09:22
Hey guys, I've got an 88 MK 1 that I'm thinking about replacing the 4age in it with the camry DOHC V6. However, here in the midwest of the US, I have been scouring the junkyards for years now and have yet to find a v6 5 speed camry! I found ONE 3g with a 5 speed, but I have yet to see a v6 manual trans car. Our pick n pull junkyard has around 30 camry's, most are v6 automatics. Now I admit that in stop and go traffic, the auto is handy, but this car will be identical to my 88 SC on the outside, sort of a sleeper..
I really love the v6 in my current camry. I can get these motors all day long for 125 bucks, or 250 with the transmission, starter, alternator, ac compressor and all the other junk that's bolted to them..plus the harness and ecu if I want it.
But I'll be damned if I have ever even SEEN a v6 5-speed car. For me, it wouldn't make sense to have an automatic unless the car had twin turbos (or at least one) in it and it was just going to be a street racer. However, this will be a road course car..

The junkyards I go to are FULL of camrys..from the stripper 4 cyl cars to the near lexus loaded cars..with power moonroofs, automatic ac, and loaded..usually quite mint too.

Anyone know how many 5 speed v6 cars were built in the 87-91 camrys as a whole? I doubt it was very many, but it would give me an idea if I'm pissing into the wind here with an impossible dream, or if it is just my location that got bombarded with automatic cars.

thanks for the help!

Dave

msherry21
21-08-2007, 09:29
Hi Beemer, Its the V6 Auto's we use with the 3sge/3sgte gearbox from mk2 MR2's mated to them. I don't think we ever got manual camry's in V6 form over here, Im sure you guys did either?

I hope that helps you a bit mate.

DVSMR2
21-08-2007, 09:32
hey mate, your best bet would be to use a manual gearbox from an SW20, either turbo or non turbo will do the job just fine, im yet to see a manual v6 camry down here in New Zealand either!

DVSMR2
21-08-2007, 09:33
stupid slow dialup, by the time it posted someone beat me to it!

Beemer
21-08-2007, 09:39
Also, I forgot to ask if any of the dohc v6 motors had piston oil squirters?

I'm a mitsu galant VR4 guy..have two, race both, and I also have a pair of Eclipse gsx awd turbo cars as well..I bought my 88 SC new in Japan and had HKS put the twincharger kit in it (about 8 grand US if I remember correctly) and also had them rebuild the new motor with the 1.8L stroker kit (another 7 grand..the total came to be nearly as much as the car was new, but I was in the Air force, single and very young.)

I managed to get the car to the US thanks to a friend that bought his SC in the states (red like mine) and promptly hit a tree backwards at around 100 mph.. So he sold me his title, and VIN plate and panel stickers for 100 bucks..which I promptly installed on my car so that it LOOKED like a USDM car, and I could bring her back to the states. It worked..

However, I sold the car in 1991 to buy my first Galant VR4, #1244, which I still have today. I got the MR2 back last summer, but the motor had been swapped out as a core for a rebuilt 4agze. I'm sure the rebuilders were scratching their heads about that motor!

Anyway, it was miraculously RUST FREE..not a damned spot. I pulled off every piece of underbody plastic, and even used a jet engine borescope to get back under the wheel arches, down the rocker panels, and every where else I could think of. NO RUST..ever. No body work at all. Just really faded paint and an interior that was so cracked and rotted from the sun that it looked like a mushroom farm inside.
I've replaced the entire interior..and it now looks like new, except for my busting the stupid lower dash cover after removing it, and snapping a corner off the instrument cluster surround where the side screws hold it in right next to the cluster itself. (used flat head screws..didn't realize that the original screws were missing, and they used beveled head screws..but that loud CRACK sure told me I messed up) However, you can't really see it.

So the car is nearly mint and is even sporting a new shifter "gaiter" (where do you guys come up with these names? Bonnet, gaiter..jeez..you'd think you were driving a woman instead of a car!)

That came straight from the UK courtesy of ebay, along with my missing headlight eyebrows.

The V6 idea is essentially to see if I can build it well enough that it can smoke my SC. I still have the spare turbo and HKS exhaust manifold that I bought with the car new. (I learned very early in HKS's history that if it is cast iron, and the car is rare, you buy two of them..ask any Mitsubishi guy how much the HKS exhaust manny is worth for the 4g63 turbo engine nowdays! 800 bucks easy.

Also, I'm looking for an HKS FCON chip for the 4agze motor as well. I have the HKS crank pulley, all the free mods, and a ported head with HKS 272 intake cam and 264 exhaust, and NOBODY, including HKS JAPAN in tokyo has the stupid eeprom burning software anymore. They can give me a stock eeprom for the fcon, but that's it. However, all the HKS "authorized" dealers had the software..it runs under DOS, so you can break out that old pentium 75 laptop..
If someone has that program, let me know. I've got the FCON off my old mk III supra turbo, and HKS still makes the harness..just need a custom prom
thanks guys! Oh, if you'd like to drool over one clean SC, shoot me an email and I'll shoot you a pic or two.

Dave Beem
Beemer's Racing Engines
200 Elm (Box 163 for US POSTAL MAIL ONLY)
Tabor, IA 51653

Dave.Beem@gmail.com

Beemer
21-08-2007, 09:51
Wow, it's 3:42 AM here..you guys are either early risers, or it is noon there?

SO what do you use for a flywheel then? I saw the post about flywheels in the US, but didn't see what they came out of. (Sorry, I'm a wee bit tired. Just stabbed a new race motor into my white 90 eclipse gsx awd turbo..nothing like 3 year old fuel to wake the neighbors up with a resounding KAPOW..stupid thing sounded like chitty chitty bang bang..so I'll be putting around town with zero boost till I use up all that half tank of varnish, and turpentine! Man does that stuff STINK..even if it is 3 year old 108 octane race gas.. I had to swap the plugs twice..they were soaked and still no fire.

Anyway, I happen to have a small port, Hi comp head I need to get rid of that those HKS cams came in. I think it came out of an AE92 4agze motor. Had brand new valve adjustment before I got it, but of course my agze is a US version with only 8:1 compression ratio, not the 8.8 the Japanese had.

Oh, if anyone needs Mitsu 4G63 parts, I have an entire shop full..ask..

BTW, the stock mitsu 14b turbo is IDEAL for the 4age motors..the mitsu 4g61T was a 1.6L turbo motor..which is actually what I wanted to stab in this car, but it was too much of a hassle.. However, my 2.3L stroker motor is tempting me to find yet another AW11 chassis..but I think 650 hp in that small of a car, even with a quaife center diff is just asking me to get killed..I have enough trouble controlling the awd galant with a matching motor..

Thanks for all the fast response guys. I had no idea the mk II trans would bolt up to that v6.

Now if I could just find one of those aussie blower manifolds for my SC400 cheap..I've got an Eaton M90 supercharger laying right in front of me..
However, I don't have two grand for the manifold.. Any of you fabrication gods ever make one up?

I love this site..

Dave

Zip
21-08-2007, 11:37
The reason there is a lack of manuals is because manual V6 camrys were only made for about the last 2 years of that models production.

So look for a 95 or 96 camry if you want a manual :)

OohMatron
21-08-2007, 11:39
Sounds like you've got enough experience with tweaking engines and the like lol

Here's a topic on what we do for flywheels here -

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=3297&highlight=Flywheel

All the info you'll ever need will be here somewhere :idea: