PDA

View Full Version : dvla madness....

wardie
20-08-2007, 14:47
righto, is this normal, or are they being jobsworths?

rant start.
:banghead:
sent off v5 to dvla, to change cc to 2958 and address while i was at it..

they sent it back.. new address sorted, cc still as 1990, nothing else, no call, no letter nothing..

i phone said goverment agency to query this, and they say that i have to send proof to them.. a receipt for the engine or an engineers report.. so i say are u sure a lot of people are doing this and ive not heard this mentioned..

why do they need proof? they dont ask for a picture of me posing with my car when u change the colour, or a utility bill for address..

what do they want this for, its not like im going to lie and make my car illegal is it.. shall i write a little note on a fag packet, please sir ive made my car faster, can u record it for me.. signed mr A Engineer?

what did eveyone else have to do?

had enough of poor service for a lifetime this week.. hsbc's indian call centre talking about how bad the weather is for one.. yeah cos like now i believe your really in england.. oh except u cant spell durham or reconise it as a city in england!! thank god for woodsport and twobrutal, sensible people!! rant finished!:rant2:

BSM
20-08-2007, 14:58
Been waiting for a V5 for about 3 months now, still not turned up so I hear you man.

wardie
20-08-2007, 15:00
they were quick enough... just decided not to do anything really..i reckon someone just missed the cc change and assumed it was just for address, but dont wanna send it back if i really do need proof..

OlberJ
20-08-2007, 15:10
I think it works as if people are trying it the other way to dodge tax, then they won't change it without the report.

What is the upper bracket for tax anyways?

Jiff Lemon
20-08-2007, 15:26
Tx bracket doesn't apply for older vehicles.

Send it back again with an admended capacity - Mine came back without sending any proof; Did you do both the engine number and the capacity?

probably just asking them to do 2 things at once confused them....

OohMatron
20-08-2007, 15:27
Had exactly the same experience -

Posted it off with Engine Number and CC change

Got it back with just the Engine Number changed :rant:

Sent it off again with a nice and polite covering letter (honest) outlining their mistake ;)

4 weeks later comes back correct :thumbsup:

Not exactly the best service..!!

BSM
20-08-2007, 15:30
Pre 2001 are all the same. After that it is banded on co2 emissions.

Arkwright
20-08-2007, 15:59
We sent ours off for an address and colour change - they changed the address but not the colour.

As the car is off the road I haven't bothered doing anything about it yet but I really think their system only lets them change one thing at a time so that is all they do!

Deep joy!

Murf
20-08-2007, 16:51
I changed my capacity from 1600 to 2000 with no report and no queries!

loadswine
20-08-2007, 17:07
Looks like I'm going to have a very interesting time with mine then, as it was registered in 2003!!

Marksman
20-08-2007, 17:09
I'm sure a man of Jiff's talents could just enter the details straight into the DVLA database and save us loads of agro...

O.S.

nik
20-08-2007, 17:12
mine got chucked back too..i gave up at that point..!
may be wrong but i think you have to reregister the car and not try to amend engine capacity on the v5 something to do with emmission brackets or summat..
[another useful admin post]

Marksman
20-08-2007, 17:14
[another useful admin post]

Is there something else we should be doing then? :coffee:

Owen.

Rebel
20-08-2007, 17:30
(engine size)

If there has been a decrease in your cylinder capacity that affects the rate of vehicle tax you pay, you must produce written evidence to the DVLA showing details of the new engine number and cylinder capacity (cc).

Written evidence can be:

a receipt for the replacement engine
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle
If you increase the engine size you do not need to produce any evidence.

Taken from DVLA site , sounds like a covering letter might help

wardie
20-08-2007, 17:37
spose i should have looked there, instead of listening to the phone monkey..

will word a letter.. all polite like..:rant:

loadswine
20-08-2007, 17:37
I saw that bit as well. I had a look just now, but it doesn't tell you what might need to happen when the capacity increases.
I think having a later model car might be challenging as far as getting the details accepted. I just don't want the hassle of some bod inspecting my car.
I did email dvla to see what theycould offer in the way of guidance.

BSM
20-08-2007, 17:40
A written report by a qualified Mechanic is not so hard as there are a few of us about :whistle:

Paul Woods
20-08-2007, 18:17
ive never had a problem,just wrote the new cc on the v5 ,sent it off and it comes back altered...not sure about this proof business,im sure we could quickly draft up a nice letter for them though! bloody red tape jockeys

lodgeman
20-08-2007, 18:40
i sent mine off twice and changed the cc and both times it came back as 1600cc , thought it was a mistake the first time but two times is just plain stoooopid!:rofl:

JB
20-08-2007, 19:43
Mine came through pretty quick. I did send a covering letter with the ammended V5 telling them the reg of the Camry from which the engine came and explaining I had scrapped the Camry which they could check if they wanted. I doubt if it was necessary but a letter at least makes someone wake up and think.

loadswine
21-08-2007, 18:23
I emailed DVLA asking what I needed to do as mine was post 2001 stating that the engine size would change from 1.8 to 3.0 litres and this is what I got back:
"Thank you for your email.

As the engine is not a fixed component of a car, the engine number is not a permanent identification feature. If the engine is changed the registered keeper should notify DVLA Swansea using V5C registration certificate.

Please enter the new details in the "Changes" section on your Registration Certificate (V5C). However, before our records can be amended, it will be necessary for you to provide documentary evidence to support the change.

This evidence can take the form of: -

A receipt of purchase containing cylinder capacity information for the replacement engine

Written confirmation from your insurance company.

Written confirmation by the manufacturers.

If the change took place before you purchased the vehicle, written confirmation from a garage would also be acceptable."

They don't seem bothered about the road tax issue for mine, but as has been seen on here, they seem to be asking for something in writing to do the change.