View Full Version : 3SGTE engine faults

rattymr2
14-08-2007, 08:54
a friend has just bought a GT4 ST205 with a suspected cracked head. the seller apparently had the head off and tested etc but something doesnt stack up with the car.

it doesnt look like the head has ever been off the car and the only signs of a fault is the brown water in the radiator and a misfire for 30 seconds when you start the car. it hasnt been driven far nor quickly so we dont know if it'll overheat in time but are not sure what to do next. no signs of mayo on the oil cap either, and all other fluids were topped up.

matey bought the car ready to put a new engine in but i am not convinced we will need to. i told him to drive the car until it shows a fault but we dont want to do further damage if we dont have too.

any pointers.

MartG
14-08-2007, 09:07
Brown water - is it 'oily' brown of just old Forlife colour ? Try changing the water and see what colour the fresh water goes after a few miles.

Usual other tests - e.g. run the engine with the rad cap off and see if there are bubbles coming out of the coolant ( indicate a cylinder to coolant leak )

rattymr2
14-08-2007, 09:09
didnt seem oily. i told him to drain the oil and see what comes out as well. tempted to tell him to change the engine then i will have a rev 3 to use as a baselol

rattymr2
14-08-2007, 09:44
just found out he ran the car for a while last night and clouds of white smoke came out of it so he is changing the engine. i will see if he wants to sell the block etc as a project engine.

Garbe
14-08-2007, 13:11
May just be a head gasket failure as this is quite common on turbo engines added to the white smoke (was it water vapour) if it was oil then it would have been blue-ish

adamh
14-08-2007, 19:30
moved to 3sgte specific :thumbsup:

Joshstix
16-08-2007, 08:20
It's likely to be a cracked block if the head has been tested and is fine. the Gen3's are known for cracking bores 2 and 3.

rattymr2
16-08-2007, 09:24
engine coming out and another going in. not sure if he will be left with some bits to sell on ie turbo but i will keep you all posted.