View Full Version : Electric Supercharger

MR_Ash_2
08-08-2007, 22:41
Hey guys. I'm extremely strapped for cash (so cant afford to do a conversion yet) but want more power out of my 4age lump. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of electric superchargers and whether they are any good? I've seen them crop up on ebay for around £120. Any feedback regarding this would be great!

Jiff Lemon
08-08-2007, 22:55
They're a little like trying to fit wheels on a tomato - Time consuming and utterly pointless.

Treat with the same respect as devices to stick in your tailpipe to "give you a dump valve noise", disc brake covers for your rear drums and sticky on 6 pot calipers.

Marksman
08-08-2007, 22:55
Electric superchargers are complete and utter tripe and anyone selling them should be killed until dead.

For example the SC on my MK1 (not a big one I'll admit) consumes approximately 40 horse power from the engine but returns double that. Now imagine how much an electric one (with the motor from a CPU cooling fan) will yield.

As you can see these electric ones are a con, plain and simple. However ebay take their 10% so of course they have very little interest in shutting down these scams...

Sorry to be a party pooper,

Owen.

Sponge Bob
08-08-2007, 23:21
I'm sure the technology will soon catch up mind... electric motors are very torquey, use less power, spin up practically immediately and are low maintenance... someone will definitely develop a good one sooner or later, but yes - current market is just lots of tripe (i'd be interested to physically see some being tested and some results though because this will be a big market I reckon)

AlunJ
09-08-2007, 01:14
You'd need a couple of hundred computer fans to make any airflow and pressure into an engine, and a couple of thousand watts of power to run them. Wouldn't need cables as such, maybe something more along the line of 1" square copper bars to handle the 100's of amps of current drawn. Give it a good few years maybe, but for now... no no no lol

Although I have seen a small engine get more power from a petrol leafblower strapped to the carb.

Paul Woods
09-08-2007, 06:54
its complete tosh as the lads say....to put it into prespective check this video out,they are using a PETROL leaf blower which is way more powerful than an electric one and flowing a lot more air,then they inject NOS into the leaf blower intake too.......as you do! now think about what those tiny cpu fans are doing=jack shit...those ebay sellers should be fed to pigs.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=AB544E3B-5DFF-416D-9CFD-A1AD23CA9564

biteme
09-08-2007, 10:32
Don't do it .. buy my Whipple instead! :)

splintermcinnes
09-08-2007, 17:06
mmmmmmmmm Whipple!!!! how much?!! would the engine need a complete re-build though?

biteme
09-08-2007, 17:19
It would mate... to use the whipple at it's best.

Estimates are (from Whipple) that it would be yielding approx 570bhp @ 22psi with an 8krpm limit

We can facilitate all you need through VMotorsport though - but we don't do finance lol

biteme
09-08-2007, 17:22
lol you fancy it?

OlberJ
09-08-2007, 17:30
Sold!

biteme
09-08-2007, 17:41
Nah thanks matey ill just take the whipple.....

PayPal the money and I'll ship it straight away :D

splintermcinnes
09-08-2007, 17:57
id love it, but at the mo i have alot to shell out for. but once i pass my second engineers licence i get a 40% pay rise!!!:jump: :jump: :jump:

so who knows, you may get a call early next year for some shiney goodies!:mrgreen:

biteme
09-08-2007, 18:08
well, you have my number :D

and we can sort a deal out for a tax dodger like yourself lol

MR_Ash_2
09-08-2007, 20:09
Thanks guys, I will take the idea of an electric supercharger and flush it down the toilet! Maybe I need to invest in some NOS............hmmmm could be a relatively cheap way of adding more power.

Sponge Bob
09-08-2007, 20:13
Ai - NOS would do a little better than an electric blower...