View Full Version : Any strippers out there?

JB
31-07-2007, 21:58
Have any of you stripped

a gearbox!
Since my diff locked up I am considering stripping the box myself. Can anyone give me any useful pointers/references? I have my eye on an st185 box on ebay with 2nd and 3rd gone which could give me the higher final drive ratio as Johnnys sticky. Can anyone explain how the LSD works and what is likely to have gone wrong?

Garbe
31-07-2007, 22:10
JB you got me all hot under the collar - then i read the extended gear ratios and got even hotter lol

Shorty
31-07-2007, 23:22
JB you got me all hot under the collar - then i read the extended gear ratios and got even hotter lol

Weirdo:freak3: lol

Jiff Lemon
01-08-2007, 00:03
BSM's your man - He's working nights at the mo so won't join us till either 6am or lunchtime!

BSM
01-08-2007, 05:38
6 am? I finished at 4.30 again today hehe.
Ok best thing I can do for you JB is to suggets reading the manual about 20 times!! If the diff has locked up solid? ie it's jumping when turning corners it could just be the diff and not the gearbox in itself. Silly question but what oil did you use? I'd pull it out and strip it on a bench, iirc the box will split relativley easily and you can remove the diff from the casing to check if anything is burned, seized etc. I'll pm you my mobile if you like and I'll do my best to help, if not we can always arrange a visit oop north and have a crack at it. Got plenty of mates up there so good excuse!!

The diff, will be a plate type from what i know, it has a set of plates like clutches that slip when you go around a corner thus reducing the drive to one wheel so the car doesn't skip when you turn (like they do on welded drift cars). these clutches normally wear out but if as in your case it has locked up it may be they have slipped and overheated welding themselves together to cause the symptoms you have.

try here for a better explanation LSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential)

biteme
01-08-2007, 13:00
Is it not the ST165 ratio you need JB?

JB
02-08-2007, 22:14
Thanks for the advice guys.
I was using 75/90 semi synthetic gear oil
Which manual are you referring to BTW?
Thanks for the offer of a telephone help line Simon I would be glad of that; £1/minute?
Johnny didn't someone on your changing ratios thread say the st185 final drive was the same as the st165? I'll go check when I've finished this.

biteme
03-08-2007, 11:35
You could well be right mate. Been ages since I've researched that.