PDA

View Full Version : fitting a Quaife steering rack.

msherry21
31-07-2007, 16:35
Hi drunks,

Trying to fit the new steering rack, but having a shit time of trying to remove the old rack and pinion, I have the track ends off and all the other shit, so basically left with the old rack and pinion, for the life of me have no idea how to get the rack out! If I pull it to one side it just stops and pull it t'other...stops again, the pinion is holding it in some how, even though it goes loose, fucked if I know what to do...Anyone???

Sports Toyota Breakers
31-07-2007, 17:18
Have you unbolted it from the column inside the car? You have to undo it from the bottom of the knuckle (the knuckle itself won't pass through the hole). It's a bastard to get to with the full pedal box et al still in there.

Jon

BSM
31-07-2007, 17:21
Hi drunks,

Trying to fit the new steering rack, but having a shit time of trying to remove the old rack and pinion, I have the track ends off and all the other shit, so basically left with the old rack and pinion, for the life of me have no idea how to get the rack out! If I pull it to one side it just stops and pull it t'other...stops again, the pinion is holding it in some how, even though it goes loose, fucked if I know what to do...Anyone???

Isn't there a roll pin or something hidden in the ridge where the end rubbers live stopping it coming all the way out of the end of the casing?

msherry21
31-07-2007, 18:13
got it sorted, thanks for the replies chaps. everything fitted in the new rack, all to do now is remove the old steering rack from the car and fit the other one complete with Quaife short rack, then bring on the tracks!!!

msherry21
31-07-2007, 21:28
in the words of Gordon Ramsay... (DONE!)

took feck all to remove the old rack, new bushes fitted and new rack went in without a problem, christ I love working on these! now...finally to have it setup, I'll post up my geo settings once done to see how they compare to others. Although I'll take Adam's settings with me too and see what they make of those.

OlberJ
31-07-2007, 21:45
Nice work mate, glad it was straight forward.

msherry21
31-07-2007, 21:53
cheers mate, yeah thank christ. Was expecting a pig of a job but it went really well. All set for Knockhill for definate on Friday 17th August.

Murf
31-07-2007, 21:59
Nice one!
Did you make knockhill last Friday? I couldnt make it, partly due to poverty and partly due to drinking! Cant make the 17th either, is there anything on in sept?

msherry21
31-07-2007, 22:08
yeah, Its on Every month, Hot marques, between 6pm and 8pm on a Friday night.

OlberJ
31-07-2007, 22:13
Am off that Friday. Definitely count me in. Probably just to watch/shout abuse/lend a hand but am up for it.

Wanna see how this little beast goes on track :thumbsup:

msherry21
31-07-2007, 22:23
Good work Olie, I'll let you know more when I know whats happening.