PDA

View Full Version : please check this damage

cantfindausername
15-07-2007, 20:03
I've never had to deal with a damaged engine, as mine was good and healthy when I took it apart.

However, Ninas V6 is a different story. I thought that the top end sounded a bit tappy when we had it on the road, and when we finally got the cams out it looks like its been a bit starved at some point in its life and has led to some wear on the cam journals.

Here are some close up pics of the damaged areas.

Is this sort of damage terminal? What should be our next move with this?

Thanks for any advice,
Ant :freak3:

http://www.car13.net/images/projectstorm/closeups/head.jpg

http://www.car13.net/images/projectstorm/closeups/cam1.jpg

http://www.car13.net/images/projectstorm/closeups/cam2.jpg

superchargedsam
15-07-2007, 20:57
Adamski/Tony are the boys on this but dont look good thats for sure!

cantfindausername
15-07-2007, 21:05
Hopefully they'll be along to comment/advise sooner rather than later.

Agreed that it doesn't look good.

superchargedsam
15-07-2007, 21:07
thats some pretty deep scoring and looks like its picked something up in the oil for sure!

GaryA
15-07-2007, 21:12
Are they all like that ?

cantfindausername
15-07-2007, 21:46
No, not all the journals are like that. Not that I noticed anyway. I will double check later in the week. We've not checked all the bored yet either, hopefully they're all ok.

cantfindausername
16-07-2007, 08:32
Yeah I thought that would be the case. I'll get my dirties on again this week and have a proper look at the head and shells to see how they are.

I'm hoping Johnny or someone else has some cams laying around from swapping out.

Hopefully the head and shells will be salvageable.

adamh
16-07-2007, 20:58
id agree with the head journals bieng allright for some careful precision polishing provided the bores arent undersize from damage, i can check them for you ant , coming JAE?.. i'll bring some measuring equip. use a diamond lap compound in general, can do for you if you like or supply a small amount , its expensive lol. as tone says the cams arent really re-grindable without putting some meat on them first.. the total limit is infact 0.016mm from top to bottom of it.. you would take that on setting up / touching off with 'one cut' on cylindrical grinder, if not even it would be pretty damn close to half a thou, that would take you on the bottom limit straight off. better off finding better cams, i'll measure it all up if you like.

cantfindausername
16-07-2007, 21:16
Adam, unfortunately we're not gonna be able to make it to JAE, however, if we could run them down to you at some point that would be just as good for us!

I've not found any cams from the links that were posted up in my wanted ad :(

Not 100% sure what way we can go about this at the mo.

adamh
16-07-2007, 22:54
Adam, unfortunately we're not gonna be able to make it to JAE, however, if we could run them down to you at some point that would be just as good for us!

I've not found any cams from the links that were posted up in my wanted ad :(

Not 100% sure what way we can go about this at the mo.
ok, will get me a closer look at car13 :thumbsup: .. leave the keys eh

OlberJ
16-07-2007, 22:56
Fuck it and buy some lairy cams?

midnightraven
16-07-2007, 22:58
buy lairy cams!? but where from? and how much!?

OlberJ
16-07-2007, 23:08
Double post cos Sam or Johnny can't spell. :P

OlberJ
16-07-2007, 23:10
V motosport (www.vmotosport.co.uk)

Is that meant to be spelt like that Sam/Johnny?

It's their company anyways, TB discount too :thumbsup:

cantfindausername
16-07-2007, 23:13
They're only regrinds on there, so you need a descent core to give them to start with :(

Adam, my car is in at the mo, so I'll be down in the GRover or Ninas MR.

OlberJ
16-07-2007, 23:15
Sorry, ignore the fuckin idiot too stupid to weild a keyboard.

(P.S V Motosport, You guys still can't spell :P )

cartledge_uk
16-07-2007, 23:37
Im sure some places cut cams to your spec, then you can get the head all polished back and the new cams still fit cant see it costing the nice side of £1000 though:doh:

cantfindausername
17-07-2007, 08:22
Thats a regrind on the cam lobes, these are the journals. With the crank it would be ok as you can get oversized bearings, but there isn't such a thing for the cams.

OlberJ
17-07-2007, 08:59
Do Kent or Piper not do any cams for the 3VZ?

cantfindausername
17-07-2007, 12:40
Not sure, will have to check into them. Fingers crossed though!!