PDA

View Full Version : caution - Goodyear Tyre warning!

locogeoff
18-06-2007, 18:06
Just read this over on locostbuilders, just speading the word

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19551

OlberJ
18-06-2007, 18:11
MT, whatever you do, DON'T look at your tyres! :whistle:

Only kidding mate, this is the 1st i've heard of it. Maybe explains why some people's melted on track?

Rosssco
18-06-2007, 18:25
Slightly ironic that this info is coming from a Volvo forum...lol

Seen a few mixed reviews myself recently, which surprised me as when I had a set before, they did nothing else but glue themselves to the road, even in damp conditions...:confused:

Portgordon
18-06-2007, 19:49
That is very interesting indeed! I wonder if there are similar scenarios for other makesof tyre. Well spotted by the person.

biteme
18-06-2007, 21:16
I never had a problem with Goodies, and I'm on my 3rd set. I'm running Pirelli's on the new rims though - but only coz F1's are not availalbe in the size I want. F1s are the best tyre for the money still in my book

Fizzy
19-06-2007, 01:10
Hi All,

Not sure if anybody else has seen this yet, or if this is the right forum area for this, but apparantly theres a lot of talk on various car forums about dodgy grey import versions of goodyear eagle F1 tyres floating around.

Seems they are not legal for uk use (not "E" stamped) and are also far inferior.

http://mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=69840.html

...so something to watch out for!!

merged thread - lodgeman:thumbsup:

SevenR
19-06-2007, 13:50
Are they actually marked Goodyear? As I know I was offered a budget tyre that was an Eagle copy.

millentubby
19-06-2007, 13:59
MT, whatever you do, DON'T look at your tyres! :whistle:

Only kidding mate, this is the 1st i've heard of it. Maybe explains why some people's melted on track?

hehe went out last night and sure enouhg...'Made in Germany'.

Which is what I was expecting as they're the best tires I've had on the car ever - stick to the road like a Weegie sticks to his bucky :D

OlberJ
19-06-2007, 14:08
I forgot about that. lol Reactions like a cat.

AlunJ
19-06-2007, 14:34
Had a similar thing with brake pads last year. Bought a set of replacements (from a fairly widespread parts company) that turned out to be illegal to use on any car in Europe as they didn't meet any of the safety specs (no reg90 certification). So, worth keeping an eye on any brake parts fitted too.

Trading standards tore them a new one from what I heard, they're pretty hot when it comes to dodgy car equipment. Handy as a big stick to wave at any suppliers selling knockoffs or refusing to replace them.

b600rob
19-06-2007, 20:18
Just to confirm, I have some "Made in Germany" ones and they were melting on track even on a very cold day, so I don't think the bad track reports are to do with these thai ones IMO.

But like others have said, it's an awesome road tyre especially in damp/wet conditions. I'll certainly be getting these again in future :thumbsup:

millentubby
20-06-2007, 00:18
Just to confirm, I have some "Made in Germany" ones and they were melting on track even on a very cold day, so I don't think the bad track reports are to do with these thai ones IMO.

But like others have said, it's an awesome road tyre especially in damp/wet conditions. I'll certainly be getting these again in future :thumbsup:

Yeah the mk1 club peeps have reported that the Goodyears don't stand up to the temps generated on hard track runs - but on the road they do me just fine.

I think If I were going to track mine I'd sneak some slicks on it :thumbsup: