PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Mk2 rears and corrado discs.

Murf
12-06-2007, 21:53
Right, Mr Woods has modified my rear carriers an ive got the discs ordered and everythings ready to go.The big question is, what hoses do i use?
The mk2 calipers have a banjo bolt arrangement whereas the mk1's just use a screw in hose. Can i screw the mk1 hose into the banjo bolt hole or do i have to mate the mk2 hoses to the mk1 solid brake lines somehow?

:!:

Jiff Lemon
12-06-2007, 23:55
Mk1 hoses work just fine. You got hub spacers for the disks?

firstmk1
13-06-2007, 00:13
I've had mine on for 200 miles and first impressions are good. My only issue is that the pedal travel is too long for heal and toe changes :( does the mk2 MC mod change this?

David Sleith
13-06-2007, 09:24
I have the Mk2 MC on but the travel is still further than the S/C. Think its prob due to the st205 fronts.

rattymr2
13-06-2007, 11:29
Mk1 hoses work just fine. You got hub spacers for the disks?

do you need spacers then. i dont think this has been written before now and it means my knackered rear discs must have spacers rusted on the inside of them that i didnt spot and explains why the new discs rubbed on the hub

what size spacers are needed?

Jiff Lemon
13-06-2007, 11:31
Sure it was mentioned in the earlier thread about them. Mr adamh will knock them up.

The disc doesn't sit hub-centric, so adam makes a gorgeous little spacer ring to ensure it sits true.

Gary Symons
13-06-2007, 11:38
Also dont forget to machine (grind if your initials are PWlol ) the inside hub mating face a little so the disc sits flat.

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/diary33.htm

BTW: using AdamH patented spigot rings and PaulW modified carriers on mine :thumbsup:

Jim-SR
13-06-2007, 15:38
does anyone have pictures of a standard mk2 carrier alongside the modified version?

Jiff Lemon
13-06-2007, 15:47
http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=2557

Any use?

Jim-SR
13-06-2007, 19:48
interesting, if the mk2 rear calipers bolt straight on to the AW11 hub, what size disc is the maximum that can be run with them? im guessing that people only modify the carrier so that these larger VW discs can be used. im just curious what difference there is between modified ones and standard ones bolted straight on

even if the disc size is the same as mk1b standard discs, youve still got the venting, for a lot less effort. if im getting carriers modified id rather get something even bigger than the VW discs if you see my viewpoint

Murf
13-06-2007, 21:18
if im getting carriers modified id rather get something even bigger than the VW discs if you see my viewpoint

Is 280mm not big enough?? Its only the back brakes remember! :hand: rotflmao

Cheers for the help guys!
I'm just waiting now for my discs to arrive and my spigot rings from Adam (via PW!) then hopefully i'll get them fitted over the weekend!
Any top tips for changing the fluid in the system? Can i use dot 5.1?

Speaking of brakes, i'm thinking of getting either GT4 ST205 stoppers or the WMS 4 pot kit for the front, which would be better in terms of performance (price excluded for the moment!)

Jim-SR
13-06-2007, 21:50
Is 280mm not big enough?? Its only the back brakes remember! :hand: rotflmao

Cheers for the help guys!
I'm just waiting now for my discs to arrive and my spigot rings from Adam (via PW!) then hopefully i'll get them fitted over the weekend!
Any top tips for changing the fluid in the system? Can i use dot 5.1?

Speaking of brakes, i'm thinking of getting either GT4 ST205 stoppers or the WMS 4 pot kit for the front, which would be better in terms of performance (price excluded for the moment!)

standard rear brakes are 5mm larger than the standard fronts on the mk1b though. my fronts will be 277mm, and at the same time i want to move the brake bias 10% toward the rear. there are 3 ways to do this - run a larger clamping force on the brakes (e.g. larger piston), run a larger disc, or run a significantly higher friction coefficient rear pad

i calculated that the friction coefficient at the rear would have to be too much over standard to be acheiveable without going for carbon pads at the rear which are too expensive, clamping force can be increased a fair bit, but the easiest way is to go as large as possible on the rear discs, and also go wider and vented at the same time for heat dissipation.

the MR2 caliper is convenient as it uses the same handbrake setup. so ideally id like to use it. i just wonder how large a disc it can accomodate without modification (spacing isnt an issue, i can move the caliper and/or disc in or out to accomodate everything), and then if im going to have to modify it to use anything reasonably sized, il go for as close to 300mm as i think i will fit inside my 15" rims. the GT4 setup on the front has about 10mm clearance on the rims im going to run though, and those MR2 calipers appear (looks can deceive of course though) to mount a bit smaller within the wheel

Jiff Lemon
14-06-2007, 08:13
well, the rear disc is 280mm in diameter x 22 mm thick, and they're vented. As for squeezing 300mm under 15's, there's very little clearance on the 280's!

http://www.zen38410.zen.co.uk/MR2/Swap/Begins/Phew.JPG

Jim-SR
14-06-2007, 09:50
well, the rear disc is 280mm in diameter x 22 mm thick, and they're vented.

thats with the modified caliper bracket though right? what about with a non-modified caliper bracket? whats the largest disc that fits under the 22V mk2 calipers if you bolt them straight on to the mk1 hub without modifying the carriers?

superchargedsam
14-06-2007, 21:21

Murf am sure u know how good the brakes were on your ST205 so imagine that with all that wieght lost, fecking awesome! I have now driven a 1.5 with the ST205 set up and was blown away by the stopping power nad have driven an SC with the WMS kit and have to say there isnt much between them. So rekon it comes down to cost and what wheels u want to run as you wont get the 205 setup under as many wheel options as the WMS kit and although I dont know figures I rekon the WMS kit has to be lighter than a 205 setup so similar stopping power but less mass so reduction in unsprung mass is always a positive!

Murf
14-06-2007, 22:12
So, for half the cost it'll have to be the GT4 setup then, if they both perform the same.
My main concern is that the wheels will lock too easily as the GT4 had the engine over the front brakes and wider tyres.
Maybe i should make it faster first so then i'll NEED better brakes :thumbsup:

OlberJ
14-06-2007, 22:57
I thought you were going 16" Murf, will ST205's fit on under them?

Murf
15-06-2007, 07:17
Ive got a set of 16's to try, if they dont fit i'll just have to stick to 17's!

superchargedsam
15-06-2007, 09:10
they fit under the standard 16" wheels on the ST205 but the inside of them is flat with no spokes facing inwards anywhere so easy to fit! dont rekon many aftermarket 16s will fit over them mind!

cartledge_uk
15-06-2007, 15:54
standard rear brakes are 5mm larger than the standard fronts on the mk1b though. my fronts will be 277mm, and at the same time i want to move the brake bias 10% toward the rear. there are 3 ways to do this - run a larger clamping force on the brakes (e.g. larger piston), run a larger disc, or run a significantly higher friction coefficient rear pad

You can remove the spring from the mk1 brake bias thing at the front (forgot what its called lol)

its will equalise the bias to 50:50

Jim-SR
15-06-2007, 18:51
50/50 is far too much though. i dont really want to mess about with brake bias adjusters, if im going to do that il just install 2 seperate master cylinders and a balance bar. the only easy way to get more rear bias with a single master cylinder is to reduce the front bias, but i like the front bias how it is, i just want a bit more at the back lol

Murf
26-06-2007, 22:17
Well, its all fitted properly now and bedded in!
I took a bit off the outer edge of the hub as suggested and the discs fit perfectly, not warped at all, what a twat!

Braking is much better and the fronts lock up much less than they used to,even in the wet. Also the rear discs actually get hot now after spirited driving which the old brakes never used to, suggesting to me that they are doing a larger share of the braking than the old system!?

Changed the fluid to dot 5.1 as well, long overdue, you should see the colour of the stuff that came out!!

msherry21
26-06-2007, 22:24
Glad to hear you got the brakes sorted mate, she'll be even more of a beast now!
Whats next on the agenda?

Murf
27-06-2007, 12:56
Fit my poly bushes, the st205 front and then i think it might just be finished!

msherry21
27-06-2007, 14:30
....Its never finished!

rik
03-08-2009, 21:15
So what disks with stock mk2 calipers

OlberJ
03-08-2009, 22:24
Mk3 front discs, 3mm spacers and the Rev2 onwards Mk2 rears (stamped 22V).

They'll all bolt up to the Mk1 rear hub and sit correctly.

Murf
03-08-2009, 22:33
Whoa, back from the dead thread :)

OlberJ
03-08-2009, 23:25
Indeedy, to be fair he's been using the search function as advised. :)

grash2
12-08-2009, 22:24
Mk3 front discs, 3mm spacers and the Rev2 onwards Mk2 rears (stamped 22V).

They'll all bolt up to the Mk1 rear hub and sit correctly.

i am confused, one says that the mk3 fornt disc do not fit you say that they do, i quess that they do fit, but what is needed for the mod

mk2 22v calipers, do those need the carrier mod or not? direct fit?
mk3 disc, no rings? (why not use the mk1b ones thought?)
3mm spacers,

btw i was thinking we are using the st205 front ones, but why not the rear ones as well? the st205 rear disc is thin but if it is good for the st205 it must be good for the mk1, or there are other fitting issues?

OlberJ
12-08-2009, 23:12
The Mk3 discs need 3mm spacers to centre them in the carrier, that way the pads have equal distance to wear down on each side.

You can fit 0.5mm spigot rings if you want but i've not had any problems without them, personal preference though.

That's a shit hot setup on the rear. More than you'll need for a lightweight Mk1.

OlberJ
12-08-2009, 23:13
The 22V carriers bolt straight up to the Mk1 hubs.

OlberJ
12-08-2009, 23:15
And the reason i didn't use Mk1b front discs was because i didn't have any and the Mk3's were cheap enough new.

Also the Mk1b front discs need 6mm (i think) spacers to make them fit.

grash2
12-08-2009, 23:56
thats great, thanks for the reply

so to summarize, 2 options

mr2 mk2 rev onwards rear calipers 22v, direct fit
option 1: mk3 front disc, with 0.5 spigot ring(optional) +3mm spacer between hub and disc

option 2:mk1b front disc direct fit +6mm spacer between hub and disc + longer studs

OlberJ
13-08-2009, 00:20
Yep, not sure if the Mk3 discs and 3mm spacer will need the longer studs cos am afraid i fitted longer studs at the same time anyways.