PDA

View Full Version : weight loss

driftingphoenix
28-05-2007, 17:38
im in the need to shed a few pounds to gain some much wanted advatage, what would be the best things to remove to lose some bulk in a standard form tintop?
what was the first things you pulled off?

Jiff Lemon
28-05-2007, 17:42
Bulkhead sound-deadening, floor sound deadening - 9 kilos
standard seats - 36kilos (pair of)

driftingphoenix
28-05-2007, 17:45
bloody hell, big difference.
what seats have you replaced them with?

msherry21
28-05-2007, 18:01
I have Sparco pro2000's in mine, very cumfy and light!

spare wheel, single exit exhaust, you only need 1 seat really , my mk2 never has 2 in it. door panels, heater matrix, dash, rear view mirror, electric windows, battery relocated to front. stereo inc speakers and wiring..just a few things to get you started.

msherry21
28-05-2007, 18:03
And I'm a fat bastard, should really think about myself first, that would make a huge difference..what is it...I think 100kgs equates to 15BHP.

driftingphoenix
28-05-2007, 18:11
bloody hell then i must be next to stationary! :O
will have to consider the rip out of most of these parts without the luxry items being lost such as the radio, and windows

msherry21
28-05-2007, 18:24
theres always perspex for the windows...Its called something else though, can't remember the proper name for the plastic..well worth it though I'd say as the centre of gravity would be much lower. I think the rear window in a mk1 is glass too where as the mk2 is plastic.

driftingphoenix
28-05-2007, 18:27
polycarbonate?, who supplys them for the mk1?

msherry21
28-05-2007, 19:01
ah, I reckon you'd have to make them yourself, wouldn't expect it to be a hard job though.

Jiff Lemon
29-05-2007, 11:48
Sunroof has also got to be a contender; Thats a fair old lump.

msherry21
29-05-2007, 11:54
yeah, get that welded up or replaced with a light material.
The aerial weighs quite a bit also, well worth removing.

Sponge Bob
29-05-2007, 12:41
The wheels and engine make up a lot of weight too... so strip them off!!

Actually wait, there could be a potential problem with... oh no, never mind - that should be fine, get removing!! lol

OlberJ
29-05-2007, 12:49
Sunroof has also got to be a contender; Thats a fair old lump.

Especially on his tintop car. :hidesbehi

msherry21
29-05-2007, 13:41
well he better get a sunroof fitted quickly then if he's going to remove it to save weight!!

Zip
29-05-2007, 13:57
The wheels and engine make up a lot of weight too... so strip them off!!

Actually wait, there could be a potential problem with... oh no, never mind - that should be fine, get removing!! lol

Actualy your right.

The unsprung mass in wheels is a killer.

He needsa to get some super light wheels:thumbsup:

Sponge Bob
29-05-2007, 15:11
Actualy your right.

The unsprung mass in wheels is a killer.

He needsa to get some super light wheels:thumbsup:

You mean like these - Enkei light weight racing alloys - suspension still high as just come off jack and mk1b discs still on too (was just checking they'd fit on with the ST185 calipers!)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/05/250.jpg

Zip
29-05-2007, 15:47
How much do they weigh?:)

Ive heard thoseare pretty light but i cant remember howlight exactly.

I think its you times the weight of the wheel by 8 and thats your unsprung mass(i could be really wrong here but ive heard that somewhere)

Sponge Bob
29-05-2007, 16:33
Not sure - but will give them the test tonight!! I'll also weigh up a a standard mk1 teardrop too to see what the overall saving is...

driftingphoenix
29-05-2007, 18:51
mm. what would be a suitable replacement? polycarbonate?

is it true to rumours that 100lb = 15bhp?

driftingphoenix
29-05-2007, 18:54
my error, its not tintop but glass top but not t top :)
do they do grp wings for these?
dunno what lightening will help with drifting but will help take some condenders of the line.
has anyone pics of a dash removed one, as tempted but cant look too drastic as gf will be unhappy

eight-six
29-05-2007, 19:20
polycarbonate?, who supplys them for the mk1?

Plastics for Performance will sell you Polycarb by the sheet - look around as lots of places will sell it in varying grades.

I will be doing this shortly for my 86.

You can also mould the Polycarb with heat if needed so you can replicate the curvature of the window etc.

driftingphoenix
29-05-2007, 20:22
heya james, didnt know you on here as well!
got link for plastics for performance?
liked the look of the 86 at japfest so wanting to recreate some till i can get another 86

Jim-SR
01-06-2007, 18:31
fibreglass wings arent lighter than the standard metal items, and they are a poor fit. a fibreglass (or carbon fibre) BONNET however, well that would save you the best part of 20kg i reckon. the standard bonnet is a struggle to lift, its got to weigh at least 25kg. ive never had one off to weigh it though

standard wheels are quite heavy so you can save yourself some weight there. and its unsprung weight too, so even better! as said, the interior is an easy removal (sound deadening, carpet, etc). most fibreglass bucket seats (fixed back) are around 8-11kg, standard seats are about 15kg (cloth) to 18kg (leather) iirc

relocating the battery to the front is a good move. sure it doesnt save weight, but it shifts the weight to where its needed (passenger side of the froot). also if you get a sealed gel cell battery you can save a few kg and get a higher quality battery, albeit for about £60-80, its a fairly expensive weight save, but worth it IMO

the easiest and most obvious weight saving method though is to lose the spare wheel and replace it with some tyre weld and/or an RAC/AA membership. thats about 16kg out straight away

standard Toyota wheels tend to be fairly light on all their cars though, so youll have to be careful if you change wheels to make sure you actually lose weight. tyres generally weigh around the 7kg mark on 14-15" rims, and the standard MR2 rims weigh somewhere around 9kg iirc. good lightweight aftermarket wheels will weigh 5-7kg, less lightweight ones can weigh as much as 10kg a piece!

Miss.Pitstop
01-06-2007, 18:33
eat sensibly...and exercise to lose a few pounds lol...get it? god i'm funny ...no really...i am ...lol...

Gary.H
01-06-2007, 20:45
Not sure - but will give them the test tonight!! I'll also weigh up a a standard mk1 teardrop too to see what the overall saving is...
Standard mk1 teardrop weighs 7.9kg - I have a set in my spare room. Maybe some of these weights could be added to OlberJ's definative weight thread ?

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=7099&highlight=weight+olberj

Berg9987
01-06-2007, 22:18
Hey my first post! Taking weight out of a Mk1 MR2, front to back:

remove front skirt, grill, A/C, replace rad fan with a lightweight unit, remove headlight motors (either run stock with a way of manually locking them up or replace with another style), cf frunk lid, spare tire/jack/tools/frunk trim, spare tire rack, windshield washer tank, windshield wiper motor/linkage/wipers, side view mirrors (replace with smaller non motorized units or just remove them for a slight drag reduction), windshield (if possible/legal, where I live they have to stay factory glass), door cards, windows (leave em out or replace with nets), lexan rear side and rear window, sunroof, lower dash, glove box, pillar and roof interior trim, speakers, stock seats, carpets, sound deadning, centre consol cover, radio, heater assembly, heater controls, A/C, side skirts (if equipped), rear windshield clear spoiler (if equipped), trunk spoiler, lightweight exhaust, cruise control, replace engine bay cooling fan with a light weight units (may even want to ditch the control circuitry for it and just run a simple switch in the cockpit), power antenna, stock intake plumming.

A few more miscellanious things:
Remove any wires that are no longer being used, upper dash can be replaced with a custom fibreglass/aluminum dash. Some engine emission controls can also be removed. Then of course you can always grab the grinder and start cuttin out non structural metal.

It is best to remove as much weight from behind the rear wheels and in front of the front wheels. Trying to keep the majority of the weight in the centre of the car and as low as possible will result in a fairly well balanced car.

I'm certain I've missed several things, but this should be a good start.

Cheers,
Berg

Goldy
01-06-2007, 23:04
Welcome berg, That sounds fairly extreme and not very daily driver friendly, any ideas how much a mk1 weighs with all that stuff stripped off? Has anyone actually weighed one?

Berg9987
01-06-2007, 23:25
I admit it's extreme, and by no means would it be a comfy daily driver. Just wanted to list all the options I could think of... I've only stripped two cars down for racings, both in one weekend! And neither of them an MR2, so I'm afraid I don't know how much one would weigh.

Keep the windows, mirrors, wipers and heater and it shouldnt be too bad. I wouldnt want to drive something like that outside of summer tho...

Cheers,
Berg

OlberJ
03-06-2007, 21:57
Maybe some of these weights could be added to OlberJ's definative weight thread ?

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=7099&highlight=weight+olberj

You've no idea how glad that's made me knowing someone got good use out of that thread. Or at least thinks it's a good idea.

lol

firstmk1
03-06-2007, 23:30
Plastics for Performance have already kitted out a mk1 so they can supply side and rear windows from plans.

OlberJ
03-06-2007, 23:32
Bolt in windows or direct replacements that work with the mk1 mechanisms?

MRV6
03-06-2007, 23:50
I have Sparco pro2000's in mine, very cumfy and light!

spare wheel, single exit exhaust, you only need 1 seat really , my mk2 never has 2 in it. door panels, heater matrix, dash, rear view mirror, electric windows, battery relocated to front. stereo inc speakers and wiring..just a few things to get you started.

I've seen you car mate it needs some balast in it to stop it floating away. That car is some weapon! Awesome mate!!:twisted:

driftingphoenix
04-06-2007, 23:01
edited: under advice from jeff.
sorry mate :)

TheGasMan
27-07-2008, 13:59
Im getting the car weighed tomorrow... the ST185 Single Piston front Calipers weigh like 9 Kilos. Scary.

frog_eyed_mk1
27-07-2008, 19:45
frunk, engine lid and boot all have metal strenth bars welded inside wicth can be ground out

pluss we all like a bit of grinding dont we lol

also no loss of comfot

lets just hope all our engines are waterproof:doh:

OlberJ
27-07-2008, 20:10
Jack, where u going to get it weighed?

TheGasMan
27-07-2008, 21:19
Jack, where u going to get it weighed?

Boldon mate, the junction after Sunderland (North) on the A19..

Getting it Dyno'd too fella, by these guys: V Sport (http://www.vsportonline.co.uk/)

OlberJ
27-07-2008, 21:31
ooooh, what's that costing you?

Am interested for the mk1a when i get it up here.

TheGasMan
27-07-2008, 21:39
ooooh, what's that costing you?

Am interested for the mk1a when i get it up here.

A dyno run without any boost controllers or anything is £35.. and they dont actually weigh the vehicles there, theres an industrial unit around the corner where the guy at V Sport said he'd take me weigh it up for free :thumbsup:

Ooo they also have a 400 Bhp Noble M12 which im looking forward to seeing too lol

OlberJ
27-07-2008, 21:48
£35 is pretty decent.

When i get the new car you'll need to take me round there for a run.

TheGasMan
27-07-2008, 21:53
£35 is pretty decent.

When i get the new car you'll need to take me round there for a run.

Aye mate, nae bother..

They are pretty decent on price too, if you have a boost controller they'll do you a Dyno run on Low Boost and then one on High Boost for £45, not bad at all..

Let me know when its time :thumbsup:

OlberJ
29-07-2008, 20:48
So what's the score Jack?

TheGasMan
29-07-2008, 21:11
So what's the score Jack?

@ The Fly..

195.7 Bhp @ 5,450 Rpm
208.4 Ft/Lbs @ 4,400 Rpm

@ The Wheels..

162.2 Bhp @ 5,450 Rpm

Turbo is boosting to 8 Psi, so not bad at all :thumbsup:

Oh and the AFR looks healthy apparently lol

--------------------

The guy took me for a spin in the Noble M12, 3.0 Twin Turbo thing... fuck me was it quick! Its made from Plastic!

He took me to the Weigh place round the corner and their Massive scales were broken, so all they could tell me was that without me in it, with a 1/4 Tank of Fuel it was lighter than 1 Tonne.. lol but I know where it is, so I can always go back, maybe next weekend as i have it free from work.. :thumbsup:

What you reckon?

OlberJ
29-07-2008, 21:23
Under a tonne?!??

It's a Mk1b, with big wheels.

Fricken bonus!

I think you're gonna shit yourself when you get 15psi through that, that's what i think.

TheGasMan
29-07-2008, 21:57
Under a tonne?!??

It's a Mk1b, with big wheels.

Fricken bonus!

I think you're gonna shit yourself when you get 15psi through that, that's what i think.

I know mate thats what I thought, i expected it to be slightly over the 1,000kg mark.. maybe their scales were not broken but fucked.. will get a prinout and upload to my pictures like my dyno graphs when i get it done mate.

If boosting at 8 Psi is fun, I cant imagine what 15 will be like to be honest.. :hidesbehi

Any boost controller recommendations mate? Totally hi-jacked this thread.. apologies.

OlberJ
29-07-2008, 21:59
Start a new thread then, this could be a fairly hefty one.