PDA

View Full Version : possibilities twin turbo V6 ?

hmmmmm
08-05-2007, 00:00
Ok im about to start my V6 swap and im running around with some crazy ideas.. One of them is a twin turbo setup on the 3Vz-FE, ive read some stuf about getting a turbo running of one bank of cilinders. But what keeping us from taking 2 and getting them on both cilinderbanks?

In my mind i dont need huge garrets to get to a gazilion horsepower, but how about taking the 3VZ, upgrading the exaust incl new y piece etc, getting an upgraded cluth, placing new injectors, and using a piggyback system to get 2 CT026's working. A good 3VZ will do about 200hp wright? So with TTT that can easily go up to 300 (my aim) without stressing the internal components..

Okay enough with the :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla:
Now i need some the experts over here to tell me this is al easily possible and it can be done in a free wekend for about 4 euro's :hidesbehi

Paul Woods
08-05-2007, 07:04
i was actually building a twin turbo v6 before i saw sense and decided to fit a v8,so its entirely possible.

Two ct-26's will be overkill,one ct-26 running off both banks is ample for 7 or 8 psi.But you could fit two smaller turbos,one off each bank,its just a plumbing nightmare and not as good as a single turbo set up in my opinion....it does sound better though! twin turbo v6!

Whack a single ct-26 on there and it will do everything you ask.

Marksman
08-05-2007, 07:05
There are a few people with this idea rattling around their heads at the moment, tis just a lottery as to who is going to have one working first :thumbsup:

Feel free to lead the crowd...

All the best with the project,

Owen.

biteme
08-05-2007, 07:43
I'm one of the ones with the idea - although I just need to get my other minor project out of the way.

I've already got some parts for it. Namely 2x GT3071's and a donor Rev 3 tintop! But, that aside, it's still a year off before the car is even rolling I think. If I do go ahead with it, then I'll be contacting the Irish one about some work around December time of this year!

msherry21
08-05-2007, 07:48
What other work would be involved in putting a single CT26 on other than making up pipework?

Paul Woods
08-05-2007, 07:50
nothing really michael,mostly exhaust work and IC piping,oil feeds and water lines-good to go!

I should have said a twin turbo is only the way to go if you're mental like johnny and doing a full internal upgrade :thumbsup:

biteme
08-05-2007, 07:54
nothing really michael,mostly exhaust work and IC piping,oil feeds and water lines-good to go!

I should have said a twin turbo is only the way to go if you're mental like johnny and doing a full internal upgrade :thumbsup:

Yeah agreed there PW. If you're just wanting a low-blow setup, say 8psi max, then there's no real need to build up internals or go twin turbo - a Supra CT26A will be fine - just get it mapped.

Anything more than that, then you can start to look at good twin turbo setups. I'm going to aim for 1.5bar from each GT3071. I don't do things by halves!

But, that's IF I go ahead with it. Got some other projects I'm thinking of that are MR2 based. A TTV6 is merely one of them :D

msherry21
08-05-2007, 08:11
Hmmmmmmm....interesting....I have a CT20b and a Greddy intercooler sitting beside me just now, I'll ponder through the day and be back at 5pm.

biteme
08-05-2007, 08:34
That would be a good combination for around 12psi I'd think. Not sure on the internals ability to hold that, though.

A CT20b on a 3VZ would spool pretty much instantly, like the CT26 on the 3SGTE. Go for it :P

hmmmmm
08-05-2007, 09:28
Hmmmmmmm....interesting....I have a CT20b and a Greddy intercooler sitting beside me just now, I'll ponder through the day and be back at 5pm.

Hmmmmmmm indeed....:thumbsup:

Like i said, for me its not about the BHP or getting al the internals upgraded.. its about being the first to have a TTT setup :jump:

Im thinking about the 026 because of the availebility, and it has some room for later upgrading. But is this even possible or are the 3VZ internals gonna blow up in my face? If im going for +- 300BHP on the wheels, would i already need forged pistons and bearings etc? And if not, whats the max power i could get out of the engine without damaging it?

And on a totally different subject, what is needed to get the plumbing done? I m already very rpoud of myself for being able to take my car apart without loosing any bolts but ive never welded anything in my life.. If i buy some different pieces of pipe and borrow someones welding tools, will i be able to create it mysef with some practise or is this a lost cause??

And the most important; are there any dutch guys on this board that know where to get the hobnobs ive heard so much about in Holland??:clap:

jungle-jim
08-05-2007, 10:54
interestingly enough, i PM'd paul a while back about using a mitsubishi GTO TTV6 engine?

i know it aint toyota but its all done for you so to speak.

biteme
08-05-2007, 13:38
Did you say Brutalised there Tony?

On your way, avanti! Make it so :P

cantfindausername
08-05-2007, 15:54
I really wouldn't want to run a CT26 of both banks. 1 on each fair do's. Main reason for this is that the wastegates are crap. Get a free flowing exhaust and downpipe of a "measly" 2lts 4 pot and it can't hold boost.

If you're going to this extent, then you'd want custom manifolds ans external wastegates, then if you're going that far, you'd want a good turbo. A nice GT28 disco potato or similar.

MegatronUK
08-05-2007, 15:59
I really wouldn't want to run a CT26 of both banks. 1 on each fair do's. Main reason for this is that the wastegates are crap. Get a free flowing exhaust and downpipe of a "measly" 2lts 4 pot and it can't hold boost.

If you're going to this extent, then you'd want custom manifolds ans external wastegates, then if you're going that far, you'd want a good turbo. A nice GT28 disco potato or similar.

The CT26A exhaust housing from the Supra is much better apparently - it's the one I'd be using, rather than the twin scroll housing of the MR2/GT4 CT26 design.

biteme
08-05-2007, 16:23
I agree with Ant on the GT28RS - a lovely turbo. Ideal for running off a single bank as well.

I'm just greedy though :)

cantfindausername
08-05-2007, 16:57
Hows about a GT42 running of both banks. Now that would push a bit in your back.

roseward
08-05-2007, 19:43
Do i really need an intercooler if i want a turbo but with only low boost ?

cantfindausername
08-05-2007, 19:53
personally I wouldn't run the risk. Hot air is never a good thing.

biteme
08-05-2007, 20:19
personally I wouldn't run the risk. Hot air is never a good thing.

And Owen knows all about that!!

Any turbo imho needs an intercooler. Just a small one though for low-blow...

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 07:51
Agreed there Johnny.

hmmmmm
09-05-2007, 21:56
definatley going for the ic, eventhough this is gonna be a project/weekend car, i do want it to run stable for at least a couple of years :driving:

But what about the bhp, how much can the 3VZ handle? And whats the max someone got out of it now without upgrading the internals?

roseward
14-05-2007, 22:09
Was thinking about one of these :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T3-Super-T-70-Turbo-84-AR-70_W0QQitemZ250112647618QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQ cmdZViewItem

hmmmmm
14-05-2007, 23:52
Was thinking about one of these :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T3-Super-T-70-Turbo-84-AR-70_W0QQitemZ250112647618QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQ cmdZViewItem

Sounds good.. but for some reason i just think that a T3 turbo that will deliver up to 650bhp for less then 200 pounds brand new is to good to be thrue....got any reviews of this thing, or builds around this tt ??

Does anyone know how far you can go with a 3VZ? what the max bhp that it can handle without internal mods?

AlunJ
15-05-2007, 00:30
You've got to hold in mind XS power ship their turbos from the US (via ssautochrome IIRC, will have to dig out my invoice), the prices on turbos etc are much lower there than they are in the UK.

Hopefully they perform as well as advertised, I've got one of their T3/T4 turbos for project part two and want to get about 300bhp out of it (not on the v6 though). All being well, it'll do it easily with plenty of headway for more once the engine can take it.

roseward
15-05-2007, 13:45
But would it suit the 3VZ-Fe ?

biteme
15-05-2007, 13:54
Suit the engine? depends on what you think you want from teh engine?

Do you want low-blow, seamless power? or do you want balls out, kick in the back uber boost?

roseward
15-05-2007, 13:57
Just a mild boost capability, that's all !

biteme
15-05-2007, 14:26
Mild boost? I'd personally go for something like a GT28RS - but not in a turbo application, running around 10-12psi.

Another alternative, is the Greddy TD06 which spools like a CT20b but keeps going.

I'm sure a 10-12psi TD06 with external wastegate and proper management would see you running around 400 horses - possibly 375 :)

superchargedsam
15-05-2007, 14:40
i have it on good authority that one of the MR2 tuners is as we speak building a twin charged V6 so hope someone on here beats them to it and oes a better job of it as well!