PDA

View Full Version : exhaust concern

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 17:09
Ok guys, Me and Nina are going to be tearing the camry apart next weekend, and I was thinking yesterday about the exhaust.

Nina currently has a mongoose (n/a) exhaust on her mk2, and wants to keep it. Then it dawned on me that we don't yet know what we need to do to mate it to the camry engine.

Do we need a custom made part to enable fitting it? Does it mate straight up? Has anyone done a swap with a mongoose on their car?

Advice always welcomed,

Cheers,
Ant :freak3:

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 17:34
think this might be in the wrong section.

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 17:35
Ok guys, Me and Nina are going to be tearing the camry apart next weekend, and I was thinking yesterday about the exhaust.

Nina currently has a mongoose (n/a) exhaust on her mk2, and wants to keep it. Then it dawned on me that we don't yet know what we need to do to mate it to the camry engine.

Do we need a custom made part to enable fitting it? Does it mate straight up? Has anyone done a swap with a mongoose on their car?

Advice always welcomed,

Cheers,

Garbe
29-04-2007, 18:27
It does'nt matter which exhuast you have already, you will still have to mate up the down pipes to the back box.
What you will need to do is mate the camry down pipe and the NA mid pipe.
Both will need cutting and a flexi on the down pipes just before it joins the na mid pipe.
or you could have the Y pipe mod done.

edit, as hers is an NA, you will have to upgrade the front/rear engine mounts, Having spoken to Paul the choice is either upgrade to turbo mounts or buy some poly ones or get the liquid stuff and fill the existing mounts.
I have just found a site that sell the poly ones for £44

OlberJ
29-04-2007, 18:30
Defo get a better y pipe on there. Any semi decent exhaust shop will knock you one up and join it to the n/a backbox.

lodgeman
29-04-2007, 18:32
all you need to keep is the downpipes up to the flange. then just fabricate the two together when the engine is fitted. if you want a little more power you can alter the merge in the downpipes to make it flow better, add a new flexijoint and then just weld a flange to the the two ends :thumbsup: jobs a goodunlol

Garbe
29-04-2007, 18:32
Gotta find a exhaust place that will do it for a reasonable price, oohmatron had a custom pipe made to mate the down pipes to the na box and i think that alone cost something like £200.

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 20:51
lol you make that sound sooooo simple! lol

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 20:55
What I'd like to do is get some nice custom manifolds made up at a place I know, but its quite a few miles away. THere is no one round here that I know of that could do something like this, so I'm looking for an easy interim solution.

How comes the engine mounts need to be chaged over?

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 20:57
I'd actually really like to see some pictures of the solutions that have already been done on others swaps.

lodgeman
29-04-2007, 22:30
it is lol i bought all the parts, cut them all up , gave them to paul and said make me an exhaust!!:rofl: took him a day and a half;) but i think most of that was drinking tea and eating hobnobs lol

Garbe
29-04-2007, 23:15
check out fizzy's swap thread, about page 23 ish
for pics

NA mounts are too weak and the engine will rock back and forth. I don't kow if you can get away with swapping just the one as 1 only cost £22 or £44 for both. Mine fell apart when I took it off, I was going to fill my old ones but then found them cheapish.

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 23:16
Well fingers crossed we'll be able to get something sorted. My initial thoughts are to get the parts in mild steel first of all and then I can weld them up to keep down the start costs. Then later on get some decent stainless ones sorted.

cantfindausername
29-04-2007, 23:18
I can only see the front one being an issue as its not as "solid" as a turbo one. The centre piece is seperate from the outer part whereas on the turbo its connected. I'll check out the back one to see what similarities there are.

Will have a look at fizzys thread too.

Paul Woods
30-04-2007, 07:27
both threads merged into one ant :thumbsup:

cantfindausername
30-04-2007, 09:22
Thanks Paul.

I was thinking about this last night, and would like to get as much info as soon as possible. (I'm bored without my own car so need to keep my mind on something)

What size pipe work do we need for making the exhaust to mate up with the camry pipes? It looks pretty small.

Thanks,

Paul Woods
30-04-2007, 19:34
well the camry pipe is 2",but ive managed to step that up to fit 3" exhaust systems before,you just needs to be clever with flaring the pipe a bit or using step up reducer sections.

OlberJ
30-04-2007, 19:49
Step it up when you merge the Y-pipe maybe?

Or does there need to be a new flexi in there?

Paul Woods
30-04-2007, 19:56
theres got to be a new flexi after the Y

cantfindausername
30-04-2007, 20:20
The N/A exhaust is 2.5", so I'll be looking to get a y pipe with 2x 2" inlets and a 2.5" outlet to mate up to the rest of the exhaust.

I'm considering getting myself a mig welder to do this stuff myself. I'm just a littel stuck as to where to get the exhaust bits from.

OlberJ
30-04-2007, 20:56
www.jetex.co.uk

Should sort you out :thumbsup:

cantfindausername
01-05-2007, 08:35
Cheers mate. I've seen some of the stuff they do via demon tweeks catalogue, wondered if there were any others.

What have people used in the past? As I'm hoping to mig weld this stuff, it would be the Aluminised stuff I'm after right?

lodgeman
01-05-2007, 08:42
yeah i bought direct from jetex, the aluminuimised stuff. they have a good range of sizes. dont forget to but a size adapter if you are going to a bigger size, they are stepped if i remember corectly.

cantfindausername
01-05-2007, 09:23
I'm going to use a 2x2" into 1x2.5" y pipe - thats the plan anyway. I'd really like to have a go at making some custom exhaust stuff. Been thinking up all kinds of ideas. I know it won't be stainless, but some nice coatings will make it look alright, and the sort of use these cars will get should mean they last plenty long enough. Probaly get bored of it before it rusts through.

OlberJ
01-05-2007, 09:39
The exhaust or the car? lol

lodgeman
01-05-2007, 11:15
this is the way paul sorted it! obviously this is for a mk1 and the back box is an audi tt but the down pipes are the same:thumbsup:

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=3394&page=10

cantfindausername
01-05-2007, 11:22
Thats cool. I'm wanting to get as many ideas as possible really.

Round some nice places in the states that do mandrel bends and aluminised pipes for cheap. Might look at importing the parts rather than buying them here. Depends on delivery costs though at the mo.

Flanges seem to be the most expensive part. Need to find a good source for them.

OohMatron
01-05-2007, 11:24
And this is what I had done for mine -

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=5685&page=5

I've left the Camry Y-Piece in place for now and it's bolting up to my original SW20 N/A backbox which is nice and quite for pottering around and roars on full chat.

Will be sticking a Mongoose on there in a couple of weeks :thumbsup:

These are the people that did my work -

http://www.custom-chrome.co.uk/

They did a neat job on the bending and welding and they supply parts too lol

cantfindausername
01-05-2007, 12:38
Are your exhaust pics on page 5?? I couldn't see any on there.

OohMatron
01-05-2007, 13:31
Are your exhaust pics on page 5?? I couldn't see any on there.

They're on my Page 5 -

I have my posts per page set to 40 under User CP & Edit Options, saves me having to flick through loads of pages and lets me just scroll..!! :freak3:

If you've got posts per page set to 20 it'll probably be on page 10..!!

cantfindausername
01-05-2007, 14:09
That might explain it :D

cantfindausername
02-05-2007, 16:11
Ok I'm planning out the exhaust additions that need to be made to Ninas v6 install. So I'm gathering that the aluminised jetex pipes are a good source to use for bends and so on.

Their flanges seem expensive, so I'm looking at other sources for those.

So that mainly leaves the flexi sections. I assume that its best to have one on both of the pipes from the manifolds somewhere before they join the single pipe for the rest of the exhaust.

So, to save a bit of cost, would this be a good alternative for welding into some 2" pipe?? :hidesbehi

http://www.4wheelplay.co.uk/bosal-mild-steel-exhaust-flex-pipe-51mm-p-25002299.html

I'm also getting a groovey little clarke 160TE mig welder for my birthday so I can do this stuff myself and then play around with exhaust configs on my turbo. Really looking forward to it!!

Any comments or tips on the above appreciated as always!