PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo, turbo upgrade

rattymr2
19-04-2007, 19:08
:driving: going like a true brutal i suffered a Baron! ie high revs run 1 second, no boost next second. i am assuming the turbo is fubared like Baron's so

i am not going to mess around looking for a 2nd hand unit. My turbo is off to Turbo Technics or ITS for a rebuild/upgrade. it is a CT26 off a rev 2. What sort of bits should i be going for. Thinking steel shaft, bearings etc. TT do a hybrid capable of running 380hp which seems fave choice at the moment.

knowing i am about to spend up to £1000 on it i want the best. Be nice to get an ecu upgrade at the same time but what else will need doing to run high 200s in terms of hp (hopefully wheel)

Anyone had experience of this one?

PS sorry i killed your car Ki.:hidesbehi

msherry21
19-04-2007, 19:15
check out tbdevelopments.com for a good choice of turbos and turbo kits, also GTSchris does great kits and turbos too and amazing service!

rattymr2
19-04-2007, 19:36
just been looking on fleabay and i have spotted the XSpower kit for the rev 2. looks loke a nice bit of kit. Someone is selling one at £250 at mo. is it literally bolt on and get plenty of horses or is there more work involved.

Dont know much about turbo cars other than the principle of it.

also there is a mines ecu. Any good or dont go there.

Cheap fix or expensive mistake.

help. too much choice now.

adamh
19-04-2007, 21:40
nowt wrong with a mines ecu, legendary tuning house. its a plug and play.

rattymr2
19-04-2007, 22:01
but is it literally a case of bolt on big turbo and Mines ecu and away we go or as i suspect is there more too it.

The xspower T3/T4 kit looks good in the pics and it gives me a s/s manifold and downpipe to sell after to help pay for it.

i suspect that getting a different ecu will mean setting up on a rolling road in which case the mine's probably isnt the best one.

increased boost and fuelling is one thing but having it fully optimised is another.

Same goes for a TT hybrid.

Charged
19-04-2007, 22:53
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180106220881&rd=1&rd=1

Paul Woods
20-04-2007, 07:31
ive seen the XS power T3/4 turbos in the flesh and they do indeed look like a nice bit of kit....cheap too.

rattymr2
20-04-2007, 08:20
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180106220881&rd=1&rd=1

thats one of the kits. xspower also list kits starting at £499 incl actuators etc.

Big HP here i come. i assume i will also need bigger injectors. One thing that is concerning me though is spool up time on the T4 kits.

Barronmr
20-04-2007, 11:00
Sorry to hear about your tubby ratty.

Indeed the T3/4 kit looks brilliant for the price, but as with most things in life it seems you get what you pay for.

The pro's are fairly obvious, the *possible* cons that I found are that:

People have had trouble fitting these kits, but I'm 99% sure this is solved now by using the supplied manifold rather than the adaptor kit that was previously sold with the kit. Also be aware that the manifolds have been known to crack, again may have been solved by recent improvements in the quality of the item.
The turbo itself an old garret design or uses old garret internals. Still does the job, without having to run high boost aswell. There was something mentioned about it being just oil cooled and therefore may need an extra oil cooler to be safe (unsure about this). Don't know about spool but website suggests its rather good.
The quality of the supplied oil pipes are suspect and its been recommended that you change but again its all IMOC hear say.

Thats all I can think of atm, but as for actual experiences the bad ones were regarding the fitting of the kit which has been addressed in the kits you now see on ebay. Apparently quite a few people have now been running these turbo kits successfully, just don't get much feedback from them.

Hope this helps.

Barronmr
20-04-2007, 11:10
As for power, 300fwhp has been suggested for low boost. With supporting mods lots higher.

And yes they do pretty much bolt on, minor brutalizing required. There's a couple of 2nd hand kits for sale on IMOC atm with pics of installation etc, starting at around £300.

rattymr2
20-04-2007, 11:29
thanks Luke.

one thing to consider is that 9 times out of ten feedback will be bad as people are always quick to criticise and slow to compliment.

am thinking about spending a couple of hundred more to buy new from xs. full guarantee etc

Barronmr
20-04-2007, 12:01
Indeed, looks like the best option.

I wasn't convinced at all by the bad vibes from IMOC.

I would have gone the t3/4 route had a CT20b not turned up.

Let me know how it goes :)

Mistertwokw
20-04-2007, 15:05
you killed it:eek2: , i cant believe it, i sell it to someone who assures me it bwill be in good hands and he kills it!!:rant: . Oh well it must mean that your driving it properly:jump: :driving: rotflmao
I take it the inspection went ok?

Ki

It was 50 degrees all day today

rattymr2
20-04-2007, 17:06
Sorrrrry.

inspection went ok. spoke to Lynn and think the car should be declared on a sorn from the 30th. shouldnt affect the transfer.

was driving along slipstreaming a 911 went it hit the speed limiter at 125mph. slowed for the roundabout, put my foot down and zero boost.

didnt check for pipes off as engine still hot when i got home. will check tonight but it looks like a turbo upgrade is on the way.

plan at the mo is xspower turbo kit, and an ecu. not too sure what one to go for. might go unichip, might go greddy emanage ultimate. There is a mines ecu on the bay at mo but not too sure on where to get it remapped.

Mistertwokw
20-04-2007, 18:37
mate i think i have the original ecu i got with it in my garage, it has a chip on it, i will ask lynn if she could find it if you want it.

ki