PDA

View Full Version : Tectyl remover? Acid or wirebrush?

Shorty
17-04-2007, 19:20
Well, under most bodypanels are covered in some type of tectyl or similar. How do i remove that or what kind of fluids will desolve it?

Might go sanding it all of straight into the steel of the body but then i would have to prime it up straight away or the rust gets it.
Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Shortstuff

Oh, and if tectyl is not the right word for you fellas, it is that tar thingy:)

adamh
17-04-2007, 20:03
we call it underseal odd.. id go with sanding it off followed by zinc primer straight onto the bare metal.. zinc primer for rust prevention ;-) and then re-tectyl it ?

is it bad?..where is it?

Shorty
17-04-2007, 21:35
Its basically under all main body panels. Not in the frunk itself but ex where front wings are mounted and around doorhinges etc. Under side engine lid panels and such places. I want to paint it all up nice and good but it seems like one hell of a job:(

Will have a go and see how bad it sticks:)

Will get some zinc primer though:) Thx!

Jiff Lemon
17-04-2007, 22:53
Hmmm Actually adam, Im wondering wether Tectyl is the waxy tip stuff they spray on at the factory; Little bit like waxoyl but slightly more orangey. Never seen mr t Spray underseal on under the engine lid panels!

As ever shorty, Pictures speak louder than words! :)

adamh
18-04-2007, 23:04
yup a photo would be good, im thinking he means seam sealer now.. confused!.

Shorty
19-04-2007, 14:24
Its so bad wheather outside i really don`t want to go out to take one:(

Its the thing that feels like tar which is used to cover the underbody of cars to stop rusting. I`ll try all my chemicals out and report back:)