PDA

View Full Version : Rev 3, no boost.

Barronmr
01-04-2007, 22:14
Hi,

My rev3 tubby lost all boost tonight. Checked all the intercooler hoses replaced one that look possible reason but no joy, the others look ok/fine. However there was a little oil in all the boost pipes.

The car was boosting *ok* until it I was passing a car in 2nd and at about 6k lost boost, no metalic bang, smoke, made a slight pop. I say OK as the car seems to be sluggish to 6k then turbo kicked in, a friends evo 3 is alot more perky below 6k.

Another thing is that the exhaust leaks quite badly, could this be the cause? Seems to of only got a little worse since it was boosting.

Any ideas chaps? A list of things to look for would be helpful, as I have all week to look over it.

Thanks Luke

Goldy
02-04-2007, 11:21
might be worth taking the turbo off and having a look at it, sounds like it might have had it :(

Barronmr
02-04-2007, 13:47
might be worth taking the turbo off and having a look at it, sounds like it might have had it :(

Thats what I thought, after lots of IMOC searching I narrowed it down to:

Actuator.
Wastegate.
exhaust turbine falling off.

Less likely stuff:
Cat melted.
or still boost piping.

Gonna check the air turbine today and have a look. But might try checking error codes and resetting ecu.

Sponge Bob
02-04-2007, 17:04
Can you hear it spooling at all? Any venting sounds??

Barronmr
02-04-2007, 19:15
Can you hear it spooling at all? Any venting sounds??

No spooling/turbo sounds what so ever. I fear its the exhaust turbine thats snapped off, boost always felt a bit jerky until 6k. Is it a well known problem for ct20b's, as fensport mention it on the rebuilding description.

Also after driving hard then idling for awhile quite a bit of smoke came out of the exhaust when setting off again, which is suggested as been leaky seals so the turbo wasn't in best of health to begin with.

Its going to the local garage for a nosy tomorrow, they'll let me know wether its still got a spinner or not. :)

If its gone what are my options?

adamh
02-04-2007, 19:53
shorty just had his rev3 rebuilt perhaps he can tell you more, looks like a rebuild is on the cards

OlberJ
03-04-2007, 12:10
Or a bigger turbo :mrgreen:

Barronmr
03-04-2007, 13:16
Ok guys, 99% certain full blown turbo failure :(.

Garage didn't have time to look at the exhaust turbine but the intake one is fine and still moves. However there is quite a bit of oil in the exhaust which suggests to me, the exhaust turbine has snapped.

Would really like someone's opinion before I pay the garage to pull the cat off and have a look. If its certain that the happened could someone please advise me on a rebuild/buying another turbo. Thanks Luke

superchargedsam
03-04-2007, 13:43
Luke would highly recomend a rebuild as at least u will have a warranty with it then, if you buy another no matter what the seller says you willnever truley knows its history!

Barronmr
03-04-2007, 14:01
Could anyone point me the direction of a good place, as fensports £700+VAT+carriage to rebuild a turbo scares me :)

There is a kit on ebay for £100, then I suppose i would just have to replace the damaged parts and get the thing professionally balanced and that would be that.

Shugsta
03-04-2007, 18:36
ITS Turbos get a thumbs up.

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=736

Barronmr
03-04-2007, 19:57
Advice taken, Anyone have a £20 off voucher :). Gonna get my local garage to use them.

Thanks

Barronmr
04-04-2007, 14:05
Well folks,

I decide to pull the car to bits myself so I removed all the intake side and things don't look too bad (see pics), the intake turbine is still there but has a fair bit of play in it.

So is it ok to drive the car with all the intake stuff off, just need to get it on the ramps really? I gather it'll just suck air through the intake piping thats left and drive like a 2litre n/a, just want someone to confirm that I won't fubar anything else?

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/04/42.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/04/43.jpg

Will someone please buy my parents caravan so I can have my drive back (ok its their drive)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/04/44.jpg

OlberJ
04-04-2007, 16:20
Nice wheels on the mk1 Barron :thumbsup:

Barronmr
04-04-2007, 16:28
Unfortunately its a mish mash, thats the only 1 of that type of alloy, the other 3 are all different lol. But I do have full sets of 16's and 17's ready for the mk1 if I ever get round to finishing it.

adamh
04-04-2007, 22:03
dont see why you shouldnt be abled to get it up the ramps

Barronmr
05-04-2007, 16:03
Its on ramps, but the rear exhaust bolts are being a PITA, tried soaking them in WD40. But even then it just started to round them off when I applied hammer. :)

Any advice? I heard heating them up helps?

adamh
05-04-2007, 23:09
if you have access to some oxy acetylene use it to warm the bolts up quickly, the steel expands.. they should come undone easier. the other day on a stuck downpipe nut i used a gas soldering torch (little blow torch) as i didnt have access to oxy. a gas blow lamp would do even

OlberJ
06-04-2007, 10:54
Some heat and plenty leverage (sp?) should see it off.

Barronmr
12-04-2007, 12:51
Well, its been confirmed. There are bits of exhaust turbine in my cat :(. ITS quoted ballpark figures of £300 and £700. Depending on condition of the bellhousing.

Anyone got any idea if its likely to be fubar? Also what will the bellhousing look like if its broken?

Not all bad news, if its going to cost £700, chances are then that the V6 is going in instead. And I'll have a rev3 engine to sell :).

Thanks

MegatronUK
12-04-2007, 20:09
Another turbo is cheaper than that.... don't worry about it mate. I'm sure the ebay ferrets can find you a replacement :)

Barronmr
12-04-2007, 21:03
Aye hopefully the housing is ok and I'll get it rebuilt, maybe even with uprated parts.

I've also been trying to do my own bit of sourcing, I'm now a member of the GT4 owners club :). But no joy.

Would it be worth fitting a ct26? Or is that too much of a step backwards.

Barronmr
19-04-2007, 12:27
Well, today I got the news I'd been dreading....

The turbo is deffinately fubar, £700+ rebuild. No chance I'm paying that so.

My options are:

1) Buy ct26
2) Wait for a ct20b
3) Buy a T3/4 kit off IMOC or ebay.

I want peoples opinions please on the T3/4 kit, I know of XS reputation but what the deal with the T3/4 turbo, why is it so cheap???

I gather its old technology or something...

Any help appreciated, I think I'm going the T3/4 route atm, but may write off the tubby and V6 it.

superchargedsam
19-04-2007, 12:37
people always say the XS turbo are glued together in china but who knows! On whyMOC and the GT4oc there are good and bad stories of the kit with some ood power coming from them and some having them in daily drivers without issue. Just rekon do some research before parting with your hard earned.

Barronmr
19-04-2007, 13:00
Indeed, I've got multiple searches on-going as I type.

There are more bad opinions than good. But of the people who have fitted them roughly 50/50 experiences. But the problems fitting look to of been solved by shipping the item with a manifold rather than an adaptor kit.

I duno what to do... I might attempt the V6 conversion myself.

OlberJ
19-04-2007, 13:04
You've just answered your own question. Get the V6 done.

Barronmr
19-04-2007, 13:25
Lol, I knew that was coming.

But your also going to tell me to do it to the mk1 tintop SC I have sat in my garden.

superchargedsam
19-04-2007, 13:34
Luke why not V the MK2 and drop the rev3 in the mk1 best of both worlds then fella! MK2 as nice luxury cruiser and MK1 as proper drivers car for real fun!

GaryA
19-04-2007, 13:34
If it was me i would try and find a dirt cheap ct26 and put that on , i've had both on my rev2 and a ct26 wound up to 15psi of boost will still put a smile on your face

Barronmr
19-04-2007, 14:12
I did ask about that but got no response, I am seriously going to consider it and just keep looking for an alternative.

Barronmr
19-04-2007, 15:36
:jump:

Just got a pm on imoc and hopefully secured a Ct20b. :driving: