PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic handbrake on mk2

cantfindausername
21-02-2007, 15:25
Just been revisiting the possibility of upgrading my brakes one day.

Since doing my clutch system completely custom, I have had thoughts about doing the same with my brakes.

The main issue for me is the fact that the rear brakes run the same caliper/piston for the handbrake as they do the foot brake.

So a few options then came to mind.

1) Fitting a line lock to the rear brake line. How would this fair up on an MOT?
2) Converting to a hydraulic handbrake. Would the same brake lines be ok just tee'd off to both the HB and Foot master cylinders?

I'm really wanting to do something different.

I'm not overly convinced with off the shelf big brake kits as they dont appear to be thought out. They're simply bigger. I want to completely address the system from the Master Cylinder, lines, calipers, pads. The lot. A properly thought out upgraded system.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2 suggestions to the HB issue above?

Ta,
Ant

superchargedsam
21-02-2007, 15:29
just do what aston martin do and fit a second handbrake only caliper so you can run mofo hydrualic and have a legal HB system ! wilwood do small spot calipers that would work perfect !

cantfindausername
21-02-2007, 15:45
Yeah I've seen them on the Hux Racing kits. Not a huge fan of the twin caliper setup. Would prefer to run just a single caliper on each one. Its obviously a choice, but waiting to see what other options come up.

Cheers,
Ant

superchargedsam
21-02-2007, 15:48
if you wanted to keep it toyota you could see if the rear brake system from a GT4 could be mated up !

cantfindausername
21-02-2007, 15:56
They use a hub based handbrake dont they?

It could be cool to get some of them on the rear. I initially looked at getting the UK spec supra 4 pots on the front.

superchargedsam
21-02-2007, 16:07
yup thats how my ST205 works and have always wondered if it would be possible to swap this onto the MR2. Best of both worlds although your increasing unsprung weight on the driven wheels but nothing a decent set of light alloys wont help offset !

Garbe
21-02-2007, 16:08
I saw some of the supra calipers for sale and considered this, why did you drop the idea.
Also have you found any calipers that will bolt to the MK2 hub without modification or custom brackets?

superchargedsam
21-02-2007, 16:17
i also considered the idea for the MK1 as the UK spec calipers do come up quite often on supramkiv.net as they often upgrade them to mofo 6 or 12 pot kits !

Only trouble is UK spec calipers get snapped up by import owners as decent upgrade to thiers !

The supra is a classic example of toyota actually giving the UK a better car over its JDM equivalent, opposite of the MR2 !

cantfindausername
21-02-2007, 16:22
I looked into the supra brakes. I went as far as getting a spare set of MR2 hubs, and a set of supra discs and calipers.

The mounting points on the supra are completely different to the MR, so would defo need some work done for that. I think its possible, but as stated, the unsprung weight is alot different. The 4pot supra calipers are big! I've only got the 2 pot jap ones, but the mounting is the same, so would be good enough for doing it eventually.

I also had contact details of someone who was importing uk 4 pots from japan as it was cheaper :freak3:

Garbe
21-02-2007, 17:44
Is the mounting point the only issue, do the discs line up correctly?

As i know the PCD is the same,
but what about the bore on the back of the discs?

cantfindausername
21-02-2007, 18:14
I think the hole lot moves in some. Like a different offset or something. Could be sorted out with the mounting bracket though!