PDA

View Full Version : and the project begins...

DVSMR2
10-02-2007, 12:20
well iv made a decent start on the SW, removed both front and rear bumpers on thursday after work then spent a few hours on friday night casually spannering and finished off this afternoon what i didnt get done last nite and as of 6pm this evening the 3sge now rests on the garage floor

while the 3VZFE rests on a pallet in front of the MR2 awaiting its turn...

Marksman
10-02-2007, 12:23
Good man :thumbsup:

Owen.

DVSMR2
10-02-2007, 12:31
yep, i decided not to wait around with my finger up my nose (or anywhere else for that matter lol)
an got moving on it, so im now living amongst MR2 parts (the bumpers inhabit some of the floor in my room)
of course theres still a very long way to go before the key gets turned but progress is progress and at least shes no longer powered by a crappy 3S!

DVSMR2
10-02-2007, 12:54
oh yes! most definatly!! thats the part im looking forward to of course :thumbsup: although i really do enjoy doing all the work along the way, its not just about the end result

i was visited by one curious neighbor today while working on it...
he thinks im a little crazy, i dissagree, i KNOW im PAST crazy!!! lol

Garbe
10-02-2007, 12:57
Not crazy but 'BRUTAL'

good luck with the swap

ohh and some pics we love pics

DVSMR2
12-02-2007, 06:47
yesturday i got motivated again and hauled the lump out from under the car and set about removing the gearbox from it and while i was at it decided i may as well get the clutch and flywheel off so i cud remove the spacer plate for the gearbox from it too

but heres the engine bay on friday
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/misc_104.jpg

and here it is tonight (when i finally got round to taking some snaps)
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_004.jpg

and heres the 3s looking rather sorry for itself out the back
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_008.jpg

and of course the 3vzfe in the garage
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/3vzfe_005.jpg

Jaemus
12-02-2007, 11:26
nice work, you and i are doing similar work atm, but youre just ahead of me! i got held up last night looking for a flare nut spanner.

will be fun cranking it over with no exhaust attached :)

Garbe
12-02-2007, 13:53
Nice vacant space. i hope to be dropping my engine soon.

DVSMR2
12-02-2007, 17:21
cheers guys!

Jaemus, ill probably fall behind you in terms of progress while i wait for my flywheel, i find out tonight if the wreckers can source me a 1MZ stock flywheel or not, if not ill be ordering the 1MZ fidanza which is pretty nicely priced at $700NZD well worth it i feel, but takes 4 months to arrive from the USA :(
but i guess that gives me plenty of time to sort out other bits n pieces an buy up stuff ready for when it arrives

hell yes crankin it over with no exhaust should be fun! and starting it with the exhaust thats planned out for it should be rather interesting too (myself and a freind are going to be fabricating that and have worked out something that might just work very well) the y pipe always seems to be restrictive, so how bout not having a y pipe? just run 2 exhaust pipes back, 1 from each manifold and have a single muffler on each, i dont see why it wouldnt work!

Marksman
12-02-2007, 17:48
Have a look at Johnny's swap for just such an exhaust... Sounds rather nice too from the clips.

All the best,

Owen.

DVSMR2
24-02-2007, 07:31
UPDATE:

my FourVeeSix engine mount arrived early this week :D
really impressed with this and have dummyd it up to the engine already to see how it all goes together and looks on there.

todays been a rather productive day here, swapped out the N/A fuel pump for a Turbo MR2 pump as i feel better having something with a little more grunt to it than is required just to be safe. removed the heater lines from above the fuel tank while i had it out so i can later on remove the entire heater system (part of my weight reduction program the car is on) got the tank back in there and had a bit of a play with my multimeter an sussed out most of the wiring and labelled them as i went, altho i found one interesting thing, iv been going from Pauls wiring guide and the black orange wire on the V6 harness, well iv got 3 of them, according to PW's guide there should be one, is this normal? do they all connect to the same thing? or does each one connect to 1 of the 3 black orange wires on the 4th ecu plug? if so which connects to which? and what are the black/orange wires actually for? that might help in finding the answers to the previous questions..

anyways time for a photo...
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_012.jpg

Marksman
24-02-2007, 10:26
Looking good :popcorn:

Owen.

Jaemus
25-02-2007, 08:12
very good! my engine is out now, and ill be having my NA fly modded, so hopefully i wont get held up! :mrgreen:

Jaemus
02-03-2007, 07:35
my flywheel is done now! im about to bolt it on...

did you say 4 MONTHS for a fidanza? thats f'ing stupid!

DVSMR2
02-03-2007, 08:14
yea 4 months is what it would take to get it from repco here, but i found a supplier in the USA and have gone direct, its on its way airmail, dont have an exact ETA but shud only be a week - 2 weeks roughly id say from experience.

sussed out ALL remaining wires tonight so thats all sorted, just needs to be connected once the engines in there :D
theres still a few more bits i can muck round with while im waiting for my flywheel to arrive.
then its time to get that thing in there!

OlberJ
02-03-2007, 12:40
Alright mate, have you got details on where you ordered the Flywheel from?

Gonna get one ordered 2moro hopefully.

Jaemus
02-03-2007, 22:58
thats great news mate! youll have it alive and kicking in no time :)

DVSMR2
03-03-2007, 19:46
details of the company supplying my flywheel:

UltraRev Inc
100 19TH Street
Brooklyn, NY 11232
United States
(718) 499-5626Ext.10
email: ray@ultrarev.com
www.ultrarev.com

cost me $405 USD including shipping.

yep shouldnt be too long now... lots of work to do but also lots is already done, mainly the wiring which was the one thing i was slightly worried about, but hey thats now mapped out so problem solved there :D
big thanks to PW for the idiots guide, it helped heaps! and yes i did double check every single wire to make sure!

DVSMR2
05-03-2007, 07:26
well, i got home from work today and found a package had arrived... my Fidanza flywheel!!!!!
and iv arranged the clutch and will get that later in the week so theres no real holdup now!!

Paul Woods
05-03-2007, 07:33
re the wiring thing,most v6 ecus have 3 B/O wires on the 4th plug,on pins 1,12 and 13....but i have seen a few that have just got 2 wires on pins 12 and 13,dont ask me whats going on there! :) All of these B/O wires join together and go to the same place (EFI relay output pin 4,usually B/Y)

nik
05-03-2007, 07:33
superb news..time to get cracking..:thumbsup:

DVSMR2
05-03-2007, 07:51
superb news..time to get cracking..:thumbsup:

or should that be spannering?!?! rotflmao

ill try and remember to take some pics too as i go

re the wiring thing,most v6 ecus have 3 B/O wires on the 4th plug,on pins 1,12 and 13....but i have seen a few that have just got 2 wires on pins 12 and 13,dont ask me whats going on there! :) All of these B/O wires join together and go to the same place (EFI relay output pin 4,usually B/Y)
cheers for that PW! but got it sorted over the weekend (didnt actually have the 22p plug from the ecu so iv used the 22p plug from the mr2 since it fits, sussed out the pins with diagrams and some guidance from your guide! so its all correct just the wires are different colours lol, but thats ok as i know whats what on there and everythings labelled so i cant confuse myself!

DVSMR2
11-03-2007, 02:21
alright, now iv hit another snag with parts supply, flywheel bolts!! the stupidest little thing... Toyota NZ can get them, but.. theres only 1 in NZ! and itll take 3 weeks to get more!!! frustrating!

but anyways, i got cracking and did a few things this weekend, started with the cambelt, waterpump an thermostat on friday night, got the waterpump an thermo done pretty easily, now id never done a cambelt before and fortunately i had a workshop manual for the 3vzfe handy (bought one of these when i got the engine)
first attempt was good, everything was right EXCEPT it was on the wrong way!! anticlockwise not clockwise! lol smacked self in the head and tried again,
and in my tiredness i managed to mess up the timing marks and it was 180 out when i put it back together and checked :(
decided at that point to call it a night and in the morning went back into the garage and looked over it all and saw what id done wrong immediatly! so i had a third go at it, this time bang on, checked it over multiple times and still right :D sucess, finally got the cambelt right! so thats something new iv learned already!

also had a bit of a tidy up in the garage and moved some stuff around to make life easier for myself, and found a spare few mins to rewire the sidevent fan so its on all the time that ign is on, but has an override switch to shut it off anytime i want to, i plan on having a play with that to figure out whens the best time for it to run/not run more as a matter of interest really, it may not make stuff all difference, but ill do it anyways, curiosity killed the cat n stuff lol

OlberJ
11-03-2007, 13:19
It's the mk1 flywheel bolts you're askjing for, right?

(Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if it's been mentioned)

DVSMR2
11-03-2007, 17:07
no, 3vzfe flywheel bolts! im using the 1mz fidanza flywheel, and of course 3vzfe bolts would be a perfect fit, does any other toyota engine have the same flywheel bolts as a 3vzfe?

Paul Woods
11-03-2007, 17:12
3vz-fe auto bolts are too short,so as olie says you need to use mk1 4a-ge bolts,part number 90105-10076 ,you need 8 of those and also fit the v6 spacer plate from behind the auto flexplate,otherwise the bolts will be 2mm too long....or chop the bolts down a smidge.

DVSMR2
11-03-2007, 17:19
3vz-fe auto bolts are too short,so as olie says you need to use mk1 4a-ge bolts,part number 90105-10076 ,you need 8 of those and also fit the v6 spacer plate from behind the auto flexplate,otherwise the bolts will be 2mm too long....or chop the bolts down a smidge.

yea auto bolts dont fit i know that much, i presume the manual 3vzfe bolts would fit tho, but the mk1 bolts are def an option that i may well go with as they should be in stock here, or at worst overnight from TNZ (their national distribution centre happens to be right behind my house lol)

so chop 2mm off the mk1 bolts and theyre mint?

Paul Woods
11-03-2007, 17:26
well if you can get manual 3vz-fe bolts then they will be the boys,failing that then yes chop 2 or 3mm off mk1 bolts and they will be perfect....just check the depth of the crank holes....but if you use the v6 flexplate spacer it makes the mk1 bolts perfecto.

DVSMR2
11-03-2007, 17:31
i can get the 3vzfe manual bolts, just itd take 3 weeks from japan for them, i think ill head back to toyota today and get some mk1 bolts tho, no difference between redtop and bluetop 4age bolts? just to make sure i end up with the right ones

Shorty
11-03-2007, 20:31
Parts coming together nicely now. Seems you have the same problems as me. Everything need to come from all over. Shipping delays and stuff. Got the flywheel fast as hell though!!:)

DVSMR2
12-03-2007, 17:05
yep, i think it was 5 days from NYC for my flywheel, amazing speed really

pain in the butt when parts have to come from here there n everywhere really innit
spose thats the downside of living down here in nz

anyways sorted the flywheel bolts side of things, they had mk1 bolts in stock so grabbed em, an sat out in the garage last night working out exactly how much shorter they needed to be, came out at 2mm that needs taking off them, so away i went carefully cutting em down, got 2 done so far (blade went blunt so gotta get more blades today)

Driftin_AW
13-03-2007, 11:10
blade went blunt? you should be using an angle grinder, this is twobrutal, not mr2oc nz :P

DVSMR2
13-03-2007, 17:08
blade went blunt? you should be using an angle grinder, this is twobrutal, not mr2oc nz :P

haha yea, i did the first 2 with a small hacksaw but decided last nite to use the grinder to do the rest of em, so carefully angle grinded off 2mm on each bolt so now they fit.
much easier grindin em i gotta say, an they look tidier (not that theyre gonna be seen anyways)

DVSMR2
16-03-2007, 12:56
the last couple of days have been interesting, but heaps of progress has been made, mostly tonight.

flywheel went on wed night along with the clutch
attempted the gearbox but it just didnt agree, spent some time thurs night workin on that also an then tonight discovered the reason... dowels..
the 3vz dowels in the block are 0.5mm larger than the holes in the 3sge gearbox, so drilled those out a little to allow them to fit in there as they should. so now gearbox is on and bolted up, got all bolts in apart from 1 which there simply isnt a position in the block for this but thats ok, all the others are in there.
also put the starter in as well (figured i may as well while its out since its far easier)

will take a coupla pics in the morning when theres more light out there lol

Paul Woods
16-03-2007, 17:43
the 3vz dowels in the block are 0.5mm larger than the holes in the 3sge gearbox, so drilled those out a little to allow them to fit in there

eeek! i wouldnt have done that! the NA box fits on those dowels fine,drilling the holes out might put the box slightly off centre,naughty naughty!

DVSMR2
17-03-2007, 22:02
eeek! i wouldnt have done that! the NA box fits on those dowels fine,drilling the holes out might put the box slightly off centre,naughty naughty!

i would have thought it would fit on fine, but according to the vernia guage theyre def 0.5mm too large for the hole, which explains why it argued and just wudnt go on there, theyre a nice tight fit now though
so it should still be centre, and i had no trouble getting the bolts in there so again that would tell me its still in the right position, i could be wrong in saying that i mean im not an expert...

anyways.. pics...

nice shiny fidanza flywheel before putting it on...
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_019.jpg

and the engine with gearbox on...
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_021.jpg

Jaemus
18-03-2007, 05:18
interesting. i has no such issue with my 3S-GE box... where is your car sourced from? JDM?

DVSMR2
18-03-2007, 18:46
yea i thought it was strange, yep shes JDM
and the 3vz is JDM as well

nzfwdv6
25-03-2007, 07:20
maaan, i wanna start my conversion.

DVSMR2
25-03-2007, 09:43
well, major update here, engine went in yesturday! :D
im so stoked
still more stuff to be done but shes in, wired up, fuel lines connected, partially sussed out the cooling lines just need to do some more on those

will post pics and more info soon....

Paul Woods
25-03-2007, 09:50
im sure the dowels will be fine brett,ive seen this 0.5 difference myself but they still fit without drilling,it will be ok i think.

lets get some pics!!

DVSMR2
25-03-2007, 19:30
anyways, heres some pics as promised...

the massive engine crane that a good freind of mine arranged to use for the weekend (its taller than i am!!!)
http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/52.jpg

see it has no problems lifting the ass end of the mr2 up to clear enough space to get the engine under there
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_027.jpg

the engine under and in position ready to be swallowed up!
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_028.jpg

and here it is in the engine bay and on the mounts... looks right at home and as though it belongs there :D in fact the brake booster line from the mr2 just hooked right up to the v6 perfectly :D
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_029.jpg

there was a fair bit more progress over the weekend than the pics show but ill def get some more pics of things during the next few days

full credit to Tony for the engine mount, works perfect and looks damn good in there im really really stoked with it!!

Marksman
25-03-2007, 22:23
Stonking! :thumbsup:

I gotta get me one of those!

Owen.

adamh
26-03-2007, 22:02
me too, although id need another garage to store it!.. good progress matey

DVSMR2
27-03-2007, 10:15
yea id love to own one of them lifters myself, made life so easy,
shame i just dont have the space at the moment to store one.... need bigger garage lol

DVSMR2
08-04-2007, 08:20
anyways, iv been so busy i havent had time to post the last few days, and thats when the real progress has been made, got the exhaust all done, cooling system finished off, wiring tidied up so thats all nice n tidy looking now, positioned various bits n pieces in there properly, modified throttle cable bracket, bled clutch, did some other bits n pieces on the car, and then late last night, drove her out of the garage at my freinds house where we had been fabricating the exhaust, and off accross town to my house (doing a few laps of the block first taking each of the 3 guys that had helped me with the conversion before heading home)

i cant say how amazing this thing sounds! its incredible!
and how awesome it feels, just the way it picks up from idle with no difficulty at all!! i love it!!! *jumps around happily an all excited n stuff*

so at this stage i have a driving V6 MR2, all be it not road legal yet, but getting there...
shes driveable and runs very happily, no issues as of yet...

so a big thank you goes to everyone on the forums here thats contributed in any way whatsoever, whether it be providing info, parts (Tony's engine mount), help when required along the way with problems, its been invaluable!!
cant thank you all enough!!

will be taking lots of photos tomorow and organising myself and uploading everything iv got onto the comp and posting some up tomorow night hopefully, along with some more info and specs on things...

Paul Woods
08-04-2007, 09:14
another TB success story,good on ya mate.

Garbe
08-04-2007, 09:25
Congrats and well done and pat yourself on the back :thumbsup:

DVSMR2
09-04-2007, 20:34
and heres a pic of the exhaust with it on the ground after we gave it a quick paint and heatwrapped part of the front downpipe to keep the shift cable from melting....

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_042.jpg

no thats not me holding it, thats sam, the man behind the fab of the exhaust system...

anyways as you can see the rear bank system is shorter than the front bank system but theres also a resonator in the rear bank system (we did plan a reso in each one but couldnt quite get one to fit in the front bank piping)
now we could be wrong, but from talking to different people the general opinion seems that the pipes being of different lengths like they are shouldnt affect anything performance wise, what do you guys reckon? what have you found from doing this stuff before?

it still needs to have the tips put on as well (4x 2.5" chrome tips, 2 each side)
which i feel suits the car perfectly!

more pics coming soon....

Garbe
09-04-2007, 20:38
Have you done a separate exhaust for each bank of cylinders?
If so then it should'nt matter if they are different lengths.
Equal lengths only comes into play when they are on the same system, it's to do with back pressure.

DVSMR2
09-04-2007, 20:42
correct, two completely separate systems as the pic above shows, 1 for the front bank, and one for the rear bank :D

rear bank on the left, front bank on the right (obvious enough though)

Garbe
09-04-2007, 20:45
That should sound awesome, you'll get that burbble.

DVSMR2
09-04-2007, 20:49
yea, the sound is to die for!! it sends chills down my spine and puts a grin on my face every time! i bet im gonna get some really strange looks driving it around now! lol certainly dont sound like any other mr2 over here in NZ...

Garbe
09-04-2007, 21:00
Enjoy the fruits of your labour :thumbsup:

DVSMR2
10-04-2007, 10:00
oh i fully intend to! ;)
just doing some minor tweaking of bits n pieces at the moment and putting the car back together as well before doing the getting it legal thing, then its all go to drive anywhere an everywhere! :D
wont be long now!

DVSMR2
14-04-2007, 01:04
heres a few pics of things looking nice and tidy (finally got round to gettin the cam out just before...)

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_045.jpg
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_046.jpg
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_047.jpg
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_049.jpg
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_050.jpg

still workin on gettin a cam for the video footage (mine does really really shit video) but hopefully ill get something sorted out as far as that goes in the near future, and still have a few minor things to finish off on the mr2 as well before i can call this stage of things complete... but its nearly there... :D

Jaemus
14-04-2007, 07:55
looking good dude!

DVSMR2
17-04-2007, 19:10
well im now rid of the stock rubber torque mounts (i found they just werent ever going to hold the v6 still and it was twisting all over the place under load) so i installed my urethane ones last night!!
the whole mount is just a block of urethane, no gaps whatsoever apart from where the bolt goes through of course ;)

yet again very impressed with another US company for service (less than a week from order to when i received them)
theyre the speedsource items, will post up my verdict on them after doing some driving

those should hold her still i feel, didnt get any pics last night tho, i completely forgot lol, will have to try an get a shot of the mounts now theyre in tho, along with a few other things under there of course...

still workin on video footage, have a cam lined up just need to make time to do it now....

superchargedsam
18-04-2007, 14:53
very impressive work there indeedy!

DVSMR2
18-04-2007, 19:37
ok its now throwing a speed sensor code and i cant understand why, CEL comes on sometimes after accelerating hard, and when i check it throws code 42, Spd sensor. D9 is the SP1 wire correct? thats being fed the 5V signal as per PWs wiring guide.

Paul Woods
18-04-2007, 19:41
it will always throw a code 42,that's cos we have messed with the signal ,just ignore the code,the main thing is it runs without the hesitation they used to get without the 5v feed to sp1

DVSMR2
18-04-2007, 19:47
ahh ok, no major then, i thought that may have been the case but thought id check with those in the know.
nah theres no hesitation at all with it, and it def goes well!! got the thumbs up from all the local Toyspeed members at the meet last night :D

Garbe
18-04-2007, 21:22
Talking of torque (engine) mounts. I am worried about the front one. Is it supposted to be loose. It just drops out when the bolt is removed. I want to make sure i haven't lost a bit of it.

Paul Woods
19-04-2007, 06:47
garbe you cant use the NA front torque mount with the V6 mate,its not strong enough,you have two options.....

1/ fill your NA mount with polyurethane
2/ fit a turbo mount

DVSMR2
19-04-2007, 08:44
or the 3rd option of get urethane mount inserts from speedsource ;)
they replace the rubber centre of the mount and are solid as!

btw garbe, no that mount is not supposed to fall out like that, the rubber must have broken (very common, mine did the same) but as paul says it wont be strong enough anyways, urethane FTW!!

Garbe
19-04-2007, 09:33
Cheers chaps, looked flimsey as hell.

Any of you guys that have fitted the speedsorce ones found any probs? vibration etc.

What about the fill stuff, any probs with that?

DVSMR2
19-04-2007, 09:50
iv got the speedsource ones, and im thoughly stoked with them, the engine is held still very nicely, very little movement which is great, and absolutely no out of the ordinary noises and or vibrations etc can be noticed from the cabin, it feels pretty well normal as far as normal goes with a v6 mr2 lol

Jaemus
20-04-2007, 05:23
it will always throw a code 42,that's cos we have messed with the signal ,just ignore the code,the main thing is it runs without the hesitation they used to get without the 5v feed to sp1

okay cool. mine did this too. is there any way to stop it throwing a CEL tho?

Paul Woods
20-04-2007, 06:45
what? its actually putting the light on? shouldnt be doing that! the code 42 just gets recorded,we've never had a CEL come on because of it.....if theres no other codes stored then thats very odd indeed,probably an ECU revision/difference.

The mr2 speedo signal is 7.5v in strength,the camry is 5.5v.... when we hook the Sp1 to the mr2 speedo it hesitates...now obviously the signal isnt just 7.5v,its got to be a wave of some sort,but if we could crank the strength of it down to 5.5v then we could use the mr2 speed signal and it "should" work properly with no code 42.... i just dont know how to bring the 7.5v signal down to 5.5v....anyone?

jimi
20-04-2007, 09:08
The mr2 speedo signal is 7.5v in strength,the camry is 5.5v.... when we hook the Sp1 to the mr2 speedo it hesitates...now obviously the signal isnt just 7.5v,its got to be a wave of some sort,but if we could crank the strength of it down to 5.5v then we could use the mr2 speed signal and it "should" work properly with no code 42.... i just dont know how to bring the 7.5v signal down to 5.5v....anyone?
Why not contact Stef on mr2oc.co.uk he knows a lot about the speed signal ( he designed and built a delimiter ) he might be willing to help or at least suggest how to do it.

Rowdan
20-04-2007, 13:23
Why not contact Stef on mr2oc.co.uk he knows a lot about the speed signal ( he designed and built a delimiter ) he might be willing to help or at least suggest how to do it.

Fitted one of these delimiter/kph-mph convertors last week, top piece of kit:thumbsup: . Is featured in this issue of Mr2only as well.

DVSMR2
20-04-2007, 19:06
yep im getting the light coming on and staying on after a run of hard acceleration, is only throwing code 42 everytime though. but if its normal for it to throw the code then its really only PITA factor, which im not worried about really as i plan on getting a Link ECU before long anyways which would eliminate the issue altogether

Paul Woods
20-04-2007, 19:26
you know thats really bizarre! you shouldnt get the CEL coming on with a code 42,def an ecu revision going on there! not a problem if you're going link anyway :thumbsup:

Paul Woods
20-04-2007, 19:27
oh by the way does the link have programmable outputs so you can control your ACIS?

DVSMR2
20-04-2007, 19:48
yea i thought it was an odd thing to PW, must be revision or version or something strange, oh well no major, ill just pretend i cant see the CEL lol
although my steering wheel half covers it so as long as i dont look i wont see it ;)

i beleive so, it has almost everything you can think of. really good ecu for the price, and some quality to it as well as the convenience that its made in NZ and can be easily fixed locally if anything does go wrong with it :)
www.linkecu.com
heap of info right there to answer any questions as im not up on the specifics of the latest version.

btw sidenote, i dont know if anyones weighed their v6 mr2s, but i weighed mine yesturday as a point of interest since iv done weight reduction on the car in the past and will be doing some more i wanted to see where it was at weight wise. now previously it weighed in at 1160kg with full tank of gas and no driver, now with a full tank of gas and a 60kg driver (myself) it weighed in at 1250kg yesturday so 1190kg without me, only 30kg heavier than before!! hows that for sweet FA difference!!

Marksman
20-04-2007, 19:52
That's the kind of definitive / quantitative answer to the weight issue we'd just love to jam up the doubting Tom's posteriors, so thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Owen.

DVSMR2
20-04-2007, 19:58
no probs owen ;)
thats part of the reason i wanted to weigh it, to have a figure to throw down to show if and how much its affected the weight by when questioned as thats one thing that comes up often and most people "claim" itd be heaps heavier, well looks like theyre wrong! lol
funny part is mines still lighter than a stock T top N/A with full options (when it was stock basically) it weighed 1260kg fully stock (removed aircon, some intererior stuff, carpets, boot carpet, spare wheel etc. just basic stuff to get it lighter since then and managed to get down to 1160kg while still 3s powered, still some more id like to remove (power steer, abs, the rest of the heater, electric door locks etc etc, luxury crap that isnt needed in a sports car :)

Paul Woods
21-04-2007, 07:31
great info mate,the V6 is no lightweight but it looks loads heavier with that big plenum etc

DVSMR2
26-04-2007, 08:50
and some updated shots i got round to taking last weekend...

this is my solution to the throttle cable, a modified bracket :)
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_059.jpg

and some shots of the cooling lines, the solid sections of pipe came from my old aw11s hardlines as i still had them lying around the place, and the hoses used were also lying around and came from the aw11 as well, it worked out a pretty good solution in terms of routing of the lines tidily and easily
getting past the mount wasnt too difficult at all, since i was missing the part of the undertray (which that section is pretty small and doesnt appear to do a lot) that attaches to the bar on the mount that causes the problem with the cooling line, i just bent that bar up out of the way so the line could be run accross with no issues
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_063.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_064.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_071.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_072.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//3/2/9447//.large/v6_conversion_074.jpg

Garbe
27-04-2007, 13:21
Nice tidy pipe work, how did you modify the cable bracket?

Garbe
27-04-2007, 16:45
Thanks Tony, however it involves welding and i can't, so i will have to go with Oohmatorns solution of using a bolted on spacer.

Jaemus
28-04-2007, 07:19
i ended up buying a new cable, but i had to re-use one of the crimped ends from the old one and silver-solder a new lug onto the end. no big deal, once you get to it. this was to use with factory cruise also. btw, i havent tested the cruise yet

DVSMR2
28-04-2007, 08:40
cruise could actually be handy to be honest, i went for a drive up to taupo this morning (normally about 3 hours drive each way) had to take a freind up to pick up his ST205 he just bought, was a good chance to have a play with the mr2 and see how it goes, and well, lets just say im very impressed with the package all round at this point, uphill acceleration is mental, it cruises along so happily except the fact i found myself doing 120 or so every so often and having to slow back down to 100 again, but thats a matter of getting used to the bucketloads of low down torque :D
so easy to pass people too... just put right foot down and it jus goes! no need to change down a gear or anything... i love it!!! :D :D
and the thing that really made me smile, a lightly modified (exhaust, intake, bov) turbo silvia tried it on from a standing start up to 100, and i sat side by side with him quite happily the whole time, i tell ya, he looked a confused man with the lack of bov or turbo noise coming from the mr2... muhahahahaha