PDA

View Full Version : 1MZ-FE vs 3VZ-FE

Fridrik
09-02-2007, 22:09
Hi there, first post here on this great great site. Just to thank you for that.

Anyway... I live in Iceland and I am a proud owner of the only road going MR2 mk1.5 here. Lately I have been thinking much about a V6 conversion and I have tried to do as much of independent studying as I can, mostly here on the forums. Trying to locate a Camry V6, specifically 3VZ-FE, has been a pain and nothing worth mentioning. But today a stroke of luck: While surfing local car breakers, spare parts, the owner of one shop had a 1MZ-FE hidden waaaaay back in his shop, from a Camry. Not old, excellent condition, ECU and all harnesses and shit. Question is this: what is the main difference between the 1MZ and the 3VZ (except for the aluminum bit :eh: ). I noticed most of you (all of you?) use the 3VZ-FE so there must be a crucial difference between the two? Or is it just harder to locate a 1MZ-FE over there?

Soooo... what should I do? I would love to get the first Mk1.5 V6 project going here on the ice. Is it go or no?

ps. The price he offered was quite good at least by our standards

biteme
09-02-2007, 22:14
1MZ-FE is a lighter engine, and the choice to go for if you don't plan on putting (much) boost through it. It's harder to wire, due to being ODBC, but that's it.

3VZ-FE is heavier, by 20kg, but is a much stronger block and much more suited to taking boost. It's OBD1 and the wiring is easier.

There's lots of information on here, just search the v6 subforum :)

Jiff Lemon
09-02-2007, 22:45
Welcome to the site! :welcome: Had an amazing holiday in Reykjavik last January ! Keep meaning to return to see how the place compares in the sunshine rather than 3 feet of snow!

The other main reason we use the 3vz-fe is that over here they're fairly cheap to get hold hold of.

Shorty
09-02-2007, 22:51
In Iceland you should get good cooling i would think. Now turn up that boost:)

Welcome:)

Paul Woods
10-02-2007, 06:46
welcome to TB fridrik!

right the differences are...

1mz pros
lighter,slightly more powerful in stock form,usually lower mileage engines

1mz cons
OBD2 ECU,a bitch to wire up and keep happy,wasted spark dizzyless ignition so you cant fiddle with the timing,weak rods

3vz pros
OBD1 ECU,20 wires gets it running with everything working,dizzy lets you adjust timing,very strong con rods/crank,much lower CR than 1mz (9.6:1) so takes boost better,cheap supply of donors (yeah right! :) )

3vz cons
heavier than 1mz,tend to be higher mileage.

Fridrik
13-02-2007, 20:01
In Iceland you should get good cooling i would think. Now turn up that boost:)

Welcome:)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/02/79.jpg

You are damn right :)

biteme
13-02-2007, 20:13
now thats a great picture!

Garbe
14-02-2007, 09:52
gotta love it, definatley T-Bar out weather lol

Also what the hell is that wheel doing in the background, i thought it was from the car, first MK1 panels falling off, now the wheels rotflmao

biteme
14-02-2007, 10:04
haha! If you can make out that the wheel is a 4 stud then your eyesight is better than mine! :)

Sponge Bob
14-02-2007, 12:40
Got to chip in - that is one sweet ass picture!!! There's lots of white chunks in your exhaust fumes though - looks like a bad cough... ;)

superchargedsam
15-02-2007, 16:42
awesome work fella !