PDA

View Full Version : help me motivate me

wangan_x
05-01-2007, 06:19
breakdown...

1 Aw11a on blocks awaiting transfusion... problems cold, actually working, utter laziness, school, $$$, and supplies

2 buddies FC up on blocks awaiting rebuild... problems basically the same

I have all the parts to finish both builds, but, not to finish where i want to be... since i am so lazy, repeat lazy, i have just kinda been ignoring them, another reason i am in limbo is i have another car as does my friend...

so... seriously, i need motivation, right now everything is slipping, and the longer i wait the worse i feel about doing it... what do you do to motivate you... also i work graveyard shifts which limits me doing work on the car since i sleep when i get home... and lately i have been unable to rest well enough so i have been sleeping more.

Marksman
05-01-2007, 07:10
Similar feelings here sometimes. No fun lying under a car in the freezing rain with a seemingly never ending list of jobs to complete...

Motivation:-

(1) Passenger ride in a completed one.
(2) Turn up to car show in your daily driver because yours isn't done yet.
(3) Pick a simple-ish job on the build and do a good job on it. Next bit then looks easier / more rewarding.
(4) Post on TB requesting motivation :blush:
(5) Go look at a pic of the project before work started and realise that you've got more done already than you think.

Good luck mate.

Owen.

Murf
05-01-2007, 07:23
Pick an easy job to start off with a do a first class job of it, get excited at the thought of finally driving it, then get stuck into the rest!!

Its freezing over here at the mo but i want mine finished for the summer so i can drive in the sun with the t-bars off rather than have to work on it :)

Sponge Bob
05-01-2007, 11:22
Think forward to summer...

do you want to be under the car in the blistering heat, pissing around with oil dripping on you etc etc - or do you want to be cruising... nay flying it??

The last thing you want to do is get it done in time for about a week of good weather!!

wangan_x
05-01-2007, 12:45
there really isn't horrible weather here, i just can't seem to budget all my time to slide in working on the cars...

OlberJ
05-01-2007, 14:16
Take 5 million pro-plus at once, stay up for 2 weeks, get nothing done, then crash and burn and use the 6 months off on the sick to finish the cars and get other projects done.

being serious, get your sleeping patterns sorted mate, without that everything else seems so much harder than it is.

It's great when you actually get through the day without the constant sleep migrane. I had it for 2 years while i worked crap shifts, got onto a decent houred job and my whole life changed.

Seriously, proper sleep rocks. :mrgreen:

Shorty
05-01-2007, 19:41
Do what they say but please, don`t sell all of it because you`ll end up regreting it later on. I have sleeping problems myself which holds me back from going out working on it half the days in a week. Tired all the time and just the thought of doing anything gets me more tired. So i go at it the days i want as nobody expects me to finish anything in time for anything. Actually nobody think i`ll be able to finish ever;) I`ll show them, in time:)

Just don`t sell it!!

podge
05-01-2007, 19:43
you shouldnt need motorvation its an honor to work on these cars now get off your ring and do it ;)

wangan_x
06-01-2007, 06:15
Do what they say but please, don`t sell all of it because you`ll end up regreting it later on. I have sleeping problems myself which holds me back from going out working on it half the days in a week. Tired all the time and just the thought of doing anything gets me more tired. So i go at it the days i want as nobody expects me to finish anything in time for anything. Actually nobody think i`ll be able to finish ever;) I`ll show them, in time:)

Just don`t sell it!!

never crossed my mind...

your right podge, i am just... well i really don't feel like doing anything... i have to just do it, but, it isn't that simple unfortunately

OlberJ
06-01-2007, 15:55
Is this where you tell us you're 16? lol

mart1975
06-01-2007, 16:49
lol another me! i get like that a lot, sometimes i cant even get up to eat im so lazy anyways itll end up like mine if you dont do it now!

adamh
08-01-2007, 21:36
since bieng a passenger in a standard 1.5 (podges) .. there is nothing mentally that can stop me achieving its finish! its a fantastic machine matey. ive had some major obstacles to overcome with the car aswell. completely rotten and seized front to back for starters, and thats no understatement lol

what worked for me... I set myself a routine of spending 45 minutes to an hour 2-3 evenings a week just plugging away at the car.. and saturday afternoons with help from the legendary lodgeman. its helping me yards to do little bits often and not to worry if i didnt get to spend a whole day on it etc. just a few nights a week.. bare hour or so.. job is nearly done before you realise it

Terec
09-01-2007, 05:52
i'm in the same boat, bad sleeping patterns, lead me to not want to go into work in the mornings, which is also where my car is at. So going in to work, and then working on my car for a bit gets tiring, add in night school and homework, and motivation is definatly needed

wangan_x
09-01-2007, 09:15
good to know i am not alone... i think that is my biggest obstacle adam is i have no one aside from myself that has ever built one around here, the last one i built i had plenty of help, yet, this one seems to have different problems. While i fancy myself a handiman, i just can't motivate myself to put down the video games/remote and jump outside to work on it... my second biggest obstacle is cash flow which seems to be quite smooth going both in and out of my household to smooth so smooth that i hardly see any gain in my accounts each month...

what makes it worse is i make fair good money for my work, I average 60K a yr. yet somehow everytime i sat aside money for a certain project it ends up going somewhere that is absolutely needed, which is why i find myself spending less on the car since everytime i turn around something new comes up.

i am hardly 16, hell i wish i was then my only expenses would be car related like they were when i was younger.

adamh
09-01-2007, 10:20
alan helped with the rotten bodywork and that was the major drawback of my car.. the rest of the help came from the forum and the kind lads/ladies here.. I've not done a swap before either like 99% of the rest of us!. something else worth mentioning.. halfway through I purchased gran turisimo game for the ps2.. within a few nights I had a 1000hp supra which was just a fantasy really.. but it didn't get me any work done on the motor!. why don't you set aside just an hour or two each week.. it'l soon be done.. the video games will always be there if you feel the need to play. I can't go near a video game now just seems like I'm kidding myself!. it would be good to see a thread soon of your progress no matter how small

wangan_x
09-01-2007, 10:22
i will see what i can do...

wangan_x
10-01-2007, 06:09
i actually got under my car today but it was rather chilly out, tried talking me wife into a space heater... it may help me more...

adamh
11-01-2007, 00:06
go fer it :thumbsup: its frikin cold at my garage too, and dark.. with no immidiate electric!.. i got a 650w (wimpy!) jenny to provide light in the winter months & evenings. i usually wear jumper / thick old jacket / overalls and a hat ..toastie :)
well done for creeping under it.. what are you looking at right now?