PDA

View Full Version : rev 1 wiring up...

adamh
30-12-2006, 18:18
ive started wiring again :-) id forgoten the old wire up so i trashed it, installed a fresh engine loom, and away i go. i have a few bits im stuck on.. i have a rev 1. in the wiring .pdf to do with the cor wiring, it states pin 3 of the cor to ecu 'A11'. checking the pictured N1 plug in the pdf there is no A11 colour stated in the colour key diagram.. its blank. however.. in that position on my plug is a small blue/white stripe wire. ive connected to this small blue / white wire, is this correct?.

second thing is, i just cant get my head round that third ecu plug. its attatched to the other side of my loom which is torched. do we use just the ecu plug.. and chop all the wires down and leave 3-4 inches of each wire hanging off the plug.. and just use that?..

i just cant see where the rest of that side of the loom fits into the wire up!..

adamh
30-12-2006, 18:30
hmm.. ive just thought.. ive wired up the cor wiring to the N1 connector.. i.e; pins a12/a13 have been connected to the N1 pins 12/13.. and pin A11 has been connected to pin 11 on the N1.. thats wrong aint it?! ... therefore, i have answered my questions.. and fruther reading tells me i can ditch the entire other side of the loom, and just keep the 3rd ecu plug and small lengths of wire etc... now hopefully that 3rd plug which is in a black sack :whistle: ..isnt melted, and im alreet :) . you said the guide was fer idiots paul, ive f*cked up allready and not even got past the cor :freak3::hidesbehi

Paul Woods
30-12-2006, 19:00
lol ,adam chill out dude! yes you fecked up big style....

your COR has five wires...

W/B,earth....take this to earth
Red,starter input....take this to the black/white wire on the four pin plug in the boot,this wire runs from your starter solenoid energiser,also connect it to pin A11 (3rd ecu plug,red wire i thunk?)
Green/red,AFM holding wire...connect to either A14 or B17 (wherever the G/R is on your ecu
Blue,fuel pump feed,this goes to the N1 pin that has the blue wire for your pump,also take a feed to your engine bay and IC fan off this wire,uprate the EFI fuse to 20A while you're on.
Black/yellow....this goes to several places...to pins A12+A13 (3rd ecu plug) and the black/yellow wire on the mk2 fusebox white plug thats responsible for powering up the T-vsv,t-vis,ISC and also goes to the diagnostic connector.Connect all of these to the EFI output wire on the N1

thats your COR done.

You will be binning everything thats after the 3rd ecu plug,just cut it off with 6" of wire on the plug.

If in doubt about anything else matey just ask,for gods sake dont strain too hard,we dont want that stress fart turning into a full on follow through lol

adamh
30-12-2006, 19:08
:D no follow throughs planned as yet.

yip f'd up after bieng spoon fed .. nemind!, im confident now, somewhere along the line i wired them feeds to N1 instead of the 3rd ecu plug, that'l teach me for wiring in a storm :-)
should have it wired before i bugger off on the 4th, ta for help sire :praise2:

ive got two ic fans so maybe up that 20 to 25 eh, i'll have to meter the current from both when its on a direct feed, and adjust accordingly

Paul Woods
31-12-2006, 09:01
yeah measure the load,that efi fuse has a lot feeding from it,if you leave the 15A in place with the engine bay fan and IC fan it will blow,i learned that one the hard way (broke down on roadtest in ohms car!) so yeah maybe a 25A on a 3 fan set up.

adamh
31-12-2006, 12:35
so it runs the engine bay fan aswell... ah...

Paul Woods
31-12-2006, 13:21
yep you got it....or you can stick the engine bay fan on its own temp switch but ive found it pretty much needs to run all the time anyway.

adamh
31-12-2006, 13:49
ive got two turbo rad fans.. two ic fans, an engine bay fan and an engine lid fan.. if they all come on at once im stalling!.. one ic fan / the engine lid fan will be on all the time, the 4 others inc 2 front rad fans .. will be temp controlled.. how do you configure the frnt rad fans?.. to run off the thermostat?

Shorty
31-12-2006, 13:49
Good luck Adamh!:) How many fans are you running in total then?

EDIT. We posted the same time so you wrote that in the post above. Lot of fans you got. Going to stay nice and cool hopefully:)

Paul Woods
31-12-2006, 14:36
the front fans take care of themselves running off the rad switch and relays,its self contained so no need to worry about them front ones

podge
31-12-2006, 17:02
bloody hell ad you building a hovercraft down there or whatrotflmao
i run my fans through a 50amp relay cost about 3 quid from rs but that is for all the backend fans ooherr paul:gay::thumbsup:

adamh
31-12-2006, 17:34
bit of a brass neck eh podge ..'am i running a hovercraft' .. aint nothing compared to wind tunnels :D

noted the RS relays.. i thinks im going to use RS el cheapo bimetallic thermostats for the engine lid and 2nd IC fan, will use on their own if they are rated enough.. or use to switch a relay like that..

adamh
01-01-2007, 18:36
2nd bit of wiring done. i re-wired the cor to the 3rd ecu plug, terminals a12/13 etc etc, and not the N1 this time :whistle:. all other wiring was sorted on the cor side of things. I also re extended the 3 alternator wires from the large plug/small plug in the bay and plumbed into N1. Ive yet to extend the chunky part of the alternator loom onto the starter terminal and to connect up to the mk1's m2 black and white, will do that tommorow. reading through the rest of the wiring its only signals & ecu feeds left so i reckon i should be finished with that part of the wiring tommorow, which means i assume she would start if she was plumbed in! :mrgreen:.. but shes not so thats the next job.. fueling and coolant pipes and intercooling pipes / bov, vacuum plumbing.

one quesy.. i couldnt find a chart showing the location of pin b17 on ECU plug B? for one of my cor feeds which is a GR/RE wire.. so i located the larger of the two ecu plugs in the boot which i assumed to be plug B and found the GR/RE wire and tapped onto it. is this correct?.. here it is pictured,

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/greenredecub.jpg

Paul Woods
01-01-2007, 19:09
ad,if there is no G/R wire on the 3rd ecu plug then yes you have the correct wire there.

Sounds like its all coming together now wiring wise matey,if theres anything you are unsure of please ask,the guide can be a little confusing at first glance....once she runs you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

adamh
01-01-2007, 19:35
yup, asking now sir :).... re: that GR/RE wire.. it says in the write up to connect 'B17' to pin 4 of the cor...

exactly what i mean is.. in the write up.. there is no B plug chart. So i found the GR/RE of the B plug.. and tapped into it.

are you saying now if theres a GR/RE on the 3rd ecu plug 'A' i should use it and not plug B which is what the write up states.. use b :poke2:??

:praise2::kissass:

Paul Woods
02-01-2007, 07:15
no it'll be one or the other squire,if theres a G/R on the B plug use that,if theres one on the A plug use that,it wont be present on both.

You can test the G/R wire when you first crank if you like......wire everything as it should be but leave the G/R unconnected to pin 4 COR,then put a multimeter on the G/R wire at the ecu and check for continuity to earth,it should be open circuit before cranking and closed circuit to earth when cranked,that will confirm its the correct G/R wire if you happen to have more than one on the ECU plugs,but i doubt you will.

adamh
02-01-2007, 19:26
after checking,... there was only one GR/RE wire on my rev 1.. B ecu plug.. so is wired o.k. a note is 'here'! so if i have any problems a few weeks down the line i can refer back.

i worked through the alternator main cables onto starter post and M2 thick wires.. you were right about having to use a gas soldering iron thats fer sure!. i had a minor issue on my resistor pack wiring .. as when asked to find the four BK/RE wires on the small white plug in the engine bay.. my small white plug only had two!. this is a revisional difference between rev 1 and the other rev's. and basically, you use one of these wires and run a feed back off it back to the n1 12 (you must continuity check as per idiots guide). Ive now been on the phone to woody regarding wiring so am no longer a wiring virgin lol.. thanks for clearing that issue up paul

quick question about earths.. there appears to be one hanging off the head just above the bellhousing .. and one other on the gearbox that are not connected. so i guess these need centralising on the gearbox, and then running a chunky earth from the gearbox over to the engine bay wall somwhere.. what about the ecu..and is there aanything else that needs earthing while im at it?

ive just got to extend the thick wire that go's onto the alternator main post. sort some earths... will do that tommorow.. tidy up the wiring, and mount all the bits in the bay with clips and stuff. JOB DONE :)

Paul Woods
02-01-2007, 19:33
you can never have too many earths ad! main one from gearbox to chassis will be grand but add a few lighter ones to the manifold and head if you like...

Check the earth point on the underside of the inlet manifold is connected,we learnt this one at JAE eh ash? it houses the earths for the ecu among other things!

adamh
02-01-2007, 19:41
ah so thats where the ecu gets earthed.., yip, that ones bolted up :-) sanded the fixing too so the dodgy paint job dosent nullify it!.

mission earth tommorow ;)

adamh
03-01-2007, 18:33
fi have a few things left over, on the loom that extends over the cam cover and upto the alternator / sensor.... is it O2 or egt? i forget, there are about 3 extra plugs.. any ideas?.. i know ones the sensor plug,.. is one of these a fan feed :pray: ?... can i snip the others?

also.. next to the resistor pack.. theres a big square relay type thing what looks like it says fuel pump relay.. i'm guessing we dont need this as we are running fuel feed off the cor do we need this relay bit?..

lastly, i spent the day fixing bits back up in the bay and clamping the alternator cables/cable tying etc. didnt get round to doing the gearbox & head earth.. thats the last thing :jump: real close now :) lucky i had these 3 days clear to get that done and dusted...

Shorty
03-01-2007, 18:47
Sounds like your getting there Adamh. Getting exited now i can imagine:) Is there lots of mods or is this not that bad?

Good luck with the rest.

Paul Woods
03-01-2007, 19:10
have a few things left over, on the loom that extends over the cam cover and upto the alternator / sensor.... is it O2 or egt? i forget, there are about 3 extra plugs.. any ideas?.. i know ones the sensor plug,.. is one of these a fan feed :pray: ?... can i snip the others?

yep ones a fan feed,tother is cat temp probe,last one is O2.....snip them all bar the O2 one.

also.. next to the resistor pack.. theres a big square relay type thing what looks like it says fuel pump relay.. i'm guessing we dont need this as we are running fuel feed off the cor do we need this relay bit?..

yep unplug the relay and award yourself 2 points for a well aimed shot at the bin with it,indeed we run the pump from the COR which is the mk1s fuel pump relay <michael caine on> not a lot of people know that....

and when it does fire up for the first time.... "you WERE'NT supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" :)

adamh
03-01-2007, 19:19
i didnt read the disclaimer in the guide about blowing garage doors off? lol

hey matey... one thing i need to run by you before i turn the key.. i need to be confident about my fuel pump modification as i dont want to blow the car up. when i modded my st205 pump to fit.. i had to extend the wires as the pump is shorter. so i soldered the wires back on.. i then shrunk wrapped the wires.. but the shrink wrap was a tad too large, and its not dead tight although it wont move so fuel will get into the joins etc under the shrink... now im not totally 100% about electrics... but when i turn the key it aint gonna go bang is it? if i remember.. one wire is earthed on the carrier, the other is the live feed. both are inuslated, but not water tight.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/09/1.jpg

Paul Woods
03-01-2007, 19:35
not unless you apply 240v to the COR no lol

it'll be fine mate,the bare ring terminal ends on the pump itself get fully immersed in fuel,the only way you'd have an issue is if the positive wire started chaffing on the fuel pump carrier,that would not be good.....

adamh
03-01-2007, 19:54
Sounds like your getting there Adamh. Getting exited now i can imagine:) Is there lots of mods or is this not that bad?

Good luck with the rest.

with the guide shorty its relatively easy to accomplish, but dont take it for granted or it will grab you by the nuts!.. especially finding the right wires and buzzing them out etc.. the new guide is a god send .. you'll be ok matey

adamh
09-01-2007, 23:26
does anyone have any ideas what these are?..

this thing hangs off the rev 1 loom just above the gearbox.. weird thing.. numbers 250 and 47 *N* on the side.. and a bracket to fix it to something.. :hmm: its plugged into the loom in this shot

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/plug1.jpg

heres a plug quite near to the resistor pack split of the loom.. although my resistor pack.. coil & ignitor are all plugged in correctly, so this plug im not sure. its a two pin thanks paul btw for sorting that. all the thermostat and plugs under the inlet manifold are connected.

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/plug2.jpg

third plug.. four pin.. no idea again.

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/plug3.jpg

:eh:

Shorty
10-01-2007, 00:52
hey Adamh. I got an electrical guide that is very good. It has all the connectors it it and all plubs in the engine control etc. It should have a number on each plun if i`m not mistaken to identify them from eachother.

Send me a PM on an email you can recieve files on and i`ll send it too you:)

Shorty
10-01-2007, 01:10
Second one might be the nr.2 injector. Sits just behind the nr.2 sparkplug hole.

Third image might be the igniter which is somethere around the, eh, ignitor.

These are just guesses after a quick look at the guide on the amount of plugs and color of plug. It`s all in there and actually nicely layed out and easy to follow and read. Easier to do it yourself as you can see where the plug is, how many connectors and actual color etc.

Let me know and i`ll send it:)

Gary Symons
10-01-2007, 06:23
not sure what plug 1 is, I just left it connected. see pic below: (note I have since changed the layout of these components a bit to fit the expansion tank. As shorty said plug 3 looks like it goes to the igniter (black box with red ignition lead connected) the plug is on the underside.

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/30-2.jpg

Paul Woods
10-01-2007, 07:11
plug one with the grey oxo cube on it is a noise filter,just bolt it to the bulkhead.

plug two looks like the aircon idle up plug,but you dont have the AC idle up valve anymore so just leave it hanging,give me the wire colours in this plug and i'll confirm its the AC.

plug three looks like your distributor plug,cant think what else is that shape and number of pins,it plugs into the underside of yur dizzy,again send me the wire colours and i'll confirm.

you're welcome on the coilpack matey,if you'd bought one yourself off ebay it could have been the wrong one and "caviar emptor" would apply..... :woods:

see what i did there.

Paul Woods
10-01-2007, 07:13
have a look at garys pic,see the valve just under his engine lid catch with two rubber pipes coming from it and a little white circle on it? (adjusting screw) thats the AC idle up i refer to for plug 1

Shorty
10-01-2007, 11:13
I uploaded the electrics to a webspace i have so all who wants it. download. Or just read it online.

(right click and save. 62mb but should be fast)
MR2 Electrical Wiring Diagrams (www.alesundportalen.net/MR2_ElectricalWiringDiagrams.pdf)

Go to engine control, there`s all the plugs and stuff. Lot of other nice things too:)

adamh
10-01-2007, 20:49
excellent book shorty! :praise2: thanks guys

adamh
12-01-2007, 21:32
does anyone have any ideas what these are?..

heres a plug quite near to the resistor pack split of the loom.. although my resistor pack.. coil & ignitor are all plugged in correctly, so this plug im not sure. its a two pin thanks paul btw for sorting that. all the thermostat and plugs under the inlet manifold are connected.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/01/41.jpg

the wire colours were;
brown/black
and yellow/blue

third plug.. four pin.. no idea again.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/01/41.jpg

:eh:

the colours were ;

black
green
white
red

Shorty
12-01-2007, 22:07
So you got them sorted?

adamh
12-01-2007, 22:42
i just got the colours.. i did have a look at your electrical diagram.. but i could not really understand it, its written in german! :whistle:

Shorty
13-01-2007, 00:49
Just made a small guide to make it clearer. It might not but i had some spare time as i spent two hours searchin for the thing to change disc on my grinder:(
First, find out how many pins it has, then the color. I don`t think anyone of them should be same or if so not close together. I just assume this is how you use it so if anyone has any tips, let us know.
The pages don`t match in Adobe from the actual book as shown below. So follow when i say page from book and page from Adobe.

1.Book
2.Adobe
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/661/plugsfindplugxf3.jpg

1.Go here:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9559/plugs1findplugpd1.jpg

2.Go to page 63 on the Adobe under 3SGTE.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6280/plugs2findpluggd3.jpg
1. Description of plug. Number and color.
2. Number of pins
3. Sometimes there are more than one c11 ( C11 A, C11 B etc)

3.When you`ve found the right one, lets say A 4 black, look just above to page 62 and find the code:
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2730/plugs3findplugsy9.jpg

4.Now, on page in the book, it says page 21 3sgte, this is the page in the actual book, not the Adobe page number. Go there.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9232/plugs4findplugnb2.jpg

5.Now you`ve located it, so lets find out what it is. Look on the page above for the list:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8397/plugs5findplugon3.jpg

So, that one is the AFM.

How was that? Spoonfed you this guide.:woods: :beer:

adamh
13-01-2007, 08:31
cheers shorty.. I do like spoon-feeding !... sorry, I'm not 100% electrical. that guide is marvellous. will find pins later at home..

nik
13-01-2007, 08:43
I uploaded the electrics to a webspace i have so all who wants it. download. Or just read it online.

(right click and save. 62mb but should be fast)
MR2 Electrical Wiring Diagrams (www.alesundportalen.net/MR2_ElectricalWiringDiagrams.pdf)

Go to engine control, there`s all the plugs and stuff. Lot of other nice things too:)

any chance you could run it through the pdf optimizer mate...62mb is a monster document size for a pdf..
also could i stick it on the TB server..?

Shorty
13-01-2007, 13:30
It is big, but it`s has all electric and instructions. I will have a go at it but you want to be able to zoom in on some pics so quality should be good.

I`ll do what i can to lower the size to minimum. Yes, host it if you want:)

Shorty
13-01-2007, 17:07
Nik, i managed to strip it down to about 4mb. A bit smaller i would say:)

Link the same, go get it!

MR2 Electrical Wiring Diagrams (http://www.alesundportalen.net/MR2_ElectricalWiringDiagrams.pdf)

Host at will,,,,,

adamh
13-01-2007, 19:36
the four pin plug is for the TPS im sure!.. it has to be i cant recall plugging it in after sticking a new loom on.. doh!. the other small 2 pin plug still unsure of.

Shorty
13-01-2007, 19:44
the four pin plug is for the TPS im sure!.. it has to be i cant recall plugging it in after sticking a new loom on.. doh!. the other small 2 pin plug still unsure of.

Four pins which has the color? I can check it too.

adamh
13-01-2007, 19:54
here :mrgreen: as far as my eyes see!..

black
green
white
red

Paul Woods
13-01-2007, 20:00
they are dizzy colour codes ad....check you have a plug connected to the base of the distributor.

As for the two pin plug i think thats either the noise filter or AC idle up valve which isnt needed.

Shorty
13-01-2007, 20:07
here :mrgreen: as far as my eyes see!..

black
green
white
red

Is that the four pin you have? The plug should have one color.

adamh
13-01-2007, 21:34
take a bow :) when things are pointed out like this... you think 'yes.. loose plugs need plugging in' :thk:

lucky.. i probably would have brought another dizzy to plug onto it lol

i see right past things sometimes!.

as for the A/C plug, i'll snip and tie it off somewhere.

well, thats just about it for wiring the engine. i only have my fan circuits to wire later. im frightened to touch on the positive terminal to the battery just yet! at least until i've done the fuel pipes anyway.

Shorty
13-01-2007, 21:48
hehe. so you got it. Good job!!:) Hope you took pics so that i can just follow when i do mine;)

adamh
13-01-2007, 21:55
the wiring guide .pdf and some pointers here is all you need shorty.. it does look like a menace of a job when you first look at it.. but after finding out in time what bits do what.. and working through each and checking as you go, it becomes easier, like making a small jigsaw!

fingers crossed it will work and not blow up the garage :)