View Full Version : Forge engine or not? Help me decide please.

Shorty
26-12-2006, 18:12
I have on offer now, Ross stock sized (86mm) forged pistons with piston rings and Eagle connecting rods to the amount of 878$ delived from US.

I just can`t decide, should i go for it. What are the advantages and disadvantages. Any views on this. Just sitting here looking at the price then nothing.

That money could be spent on seats, wheels etc instead but then again i could be going nitrous at one point then they are needed... HELP!!!:idea:

biteme
26-12-2006, 18:22
Not a bad price, but you'll need to factor in down time/labour and running in etc on the engine.

Forgies are not worth it on the 3sgte unless you're upping the boost and/or changing the turbo for a larger unit and getting it managed by either Piggyback (e.g. Unichip) or having a standalone ECU (e.g. Hydra, MoTeC or Link etc).

As I say, a good price though.

Shorty
26-12-2006, 18:29
Well, labour is all on me. If you see my build thread i have torn the engine apart for a rebuild with all new gaskets and lots of nice parts to be fitted after. I might go with higher boost and/nitrous. Just NOT going to bore it or hopefully not having to hone it with those pistons. Ah, decisions.....

biteme
26-12-2006, 18:45
If the engine is already split, I'd say do it. As it'll save an inevitable cost at a later date.

Go on ;)

**BETSY**
29-12-2006, 22:41
Hi, I run Eagle rods and Ross pistons in my gen2 3sgte.
little concerned however re the size of the pistons.
for 86mm you will be using a BRAND new block i would think?
if not you *May* get away with 86.2, or like me 86.5mm

also, don't expect it to be quiet or not use a little oil.