View Full Version : What's this bit called?

MegatronUK
11-09-2005, 10:53
MR2 mk2... the rear bar that is adjustable at each end (at the hub and at the subframe mounting point), it's not particulary very substantial. Is this the rear tie bar?

Paul Woods
11-09-2005, 16:01
well i call those the rear track control arms in that they control the rear tracking,but ive often heard people call the bottom arm (the one with the lower ball joint on it) a track control arm.....i think im right in calling the rear adjustable one a track control arm though.

Driftin_AW
12-09-2005, 02:09
i've also heard it called a toe control arm and a rear trailing rod (by a stupid mechanic)

I think I like toe control arm best, since it controls toe :) however I often revert to (it's like the steering arm is on the front, but it's fixed since the back doesn't steer)

David Sleith
12-09-2005, 03:04
Now there would be a mod.

Four wheel steer MK1!!! Just tell the missus you have crabs and see her face turn red

Driftin_AW
12-09-2005, 03:53
to be honest it probably wouldn't be too tricky, using the system from an st183 celica for instance....but would you want a 4ws mr2?

lodgeman
12-09-2005, 08:48
i had a 4ws early prelude and that cornered like it was on rails -dont know what it would be like with the engine over the rear steering rack- would probably be quite heavy and you would definately need pauls power steering mod :)

Paul Woods
12-09-2005, 17:19
funny i spotted one of those early preludes at the local salvage auction,noticed it had 4ws on the boot so i had a look under the rear...another rack!! yep you guessed it,i was instantly thinking,will that go on a mk1 :lol:

lodgeman
12-09-2005, 17:43
if you've never driven one you need to give it a go, watch cutting the corners though - there definately is an art :lol:

Paul Woods
12-09-2005, 17:49
i can only imagine mate! so did it only steer at low speed or could you get it to whip round at high speed too? sounds like fun!

lodgeman
12-09-2005, 19:17
i had the early one h reg 2.0i 16v 4ws- i think it was around 140bhp and from what i gather has speed related steering. at slow speeds it has around 20% rear steering input but not sure what it goes to at speed. electronically controlled with ecu. takes a while to get used to but brilliant around town at speed. not sure how it would work on a mk1 though. it has a reputation for being expensive for tracking- dont forget you would have to change the rear suspension setup to swivel hubs and shorter spring/damper set ups. would i have another one? yep sireeeeee :lol: :lol: had an excellent trip to le mans in one with my son and a mate overnight travel and if i said i boiled the brakes it will tell you how fast we were going-too many straights with roundabouts at the end, anyone that has been there will know what i mean :lol: car was never the same again, when we got back i sold it for?275 :cry:

Driftin_AW
13-09-2005, 08:02
on the st183 4ws celicas we have here, once speed gets over about 50km/h the back wheels then turn in the same direction as the front, the idea being to make the car sort of "crab" across for lane changes, whereas at lower speeds they turn in the same direction to make the turning circle tighter. You can chose different modes including turning it off completely