PDA

View Full Version : Performance...

Fizzy
02-12-2006, 23:55
Well, I finally got around to refitting the decat pipe on the car yesterday, and what a difference! Pulling a lot better again...

...although why is it that the car seems to go far better when the weather is far worse and more dangerous to use that power? Theres been a severe weather warning for Wales this weekend, and its cold, wet and very windy - and the car is flying! 8O Best its been soo far in fact. Did notice that the idle revs were high even after warming up, so I guess its to do with the cold weather?

Did notice an oddity today though. Going up a reasonable hill in 3rd at 40 mph, went into 4th, and the car pulled nice and steady at slight throttle, but when I accelerated it actually slowed down, and felt like the engine was struggling/choked? Is this "bogging down" - a term I have heard bantered around before? Just wondered why this is happening. Feels very odd when you open the throttle, no clutch slip but the engine looses revs... almost felt like I was starting to go backwards if you know what I mean...?

GaryA
03-12-2006, 00:19
The airs density is related to temp so the colder the air gets the more the engine can suck in so you get a very mild supercharge effect . Not sure about the second bit but maybe it detected knock and retarded the timing . Was it raining ? If you have a cone type filter it could of sucked in some water ? My tubby was a bugger for this i would often come to a up hill bit of road put me foot down and end going slower

superchargedsam
03-12-2006, 09:36
yup agree with the above ! all my vehciles, cars, n bikes a like always run better when its cool and slighlty damp ! the SC feels like another few BHPs worth easy in those conditions !

biteme
03-12-2006, 12:55
I like cold mornings for driving for precisely that reason... cars just seem to be more "alive" in those conditions :D

Shorty
03-12-2006, 17:21
When it`s winter time here my corolla g6r is flying. Much faster. Or a bit, but very noticable..