View Full Version : How to remove the outer joints?

Shorty
25-11-2006, 13:59
I`m positioning my engine and thought i`d fit the joints and the shafts to align. However i can`t get the joint off the shaft. Took off the two clamps and the rubber thingy. Now i thought i should be able to just slide it out. is there some pin holding this to the shaft?

Gary Symons
25-11-2006, 14:11
Cant help direct as I used different driveshafts, but this may be of use. Taken from a US? 1991 mr2 repair manual.

Right click and save target:
http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/files/rear_drive_shaft.pdf

Sponge Bob
25-11-2006, 14:41
If you're referring to removing the outer CV joints to change for the correct ones to work with the swap - then you need a massive hammer and some arm power... just got to smack the outer cv until the washer inside shears and breaks

Shorty
25-11-2006, 16:05
Worked:) Backside of an axe did the trick. New ones on with new rubber thingys. Struggeling to get the correct angle on the engine though. The oilpan is tilting forward a bit. Getting there i`m happy to say. Will continue tomorrow:) Beers now

Thx!!

tyler h
24-02-2008, 00:01
If you're referring to removing the outer CV joints to change for the correct ones to work with the swap - then you need a massive hammer and some arm power... just got to smack the outer cv until the washer inside shears and breaks

How do you do this without destroying the CV? I whacked the SW20 outer CV until the ballrace deformed and it still won't pop off.

snowtigger
24-02-2008, 01:33
is there a blind circlip on the other end clean the inside of the cv of all the grease or have a look at the splines must be some thing stopping it just poping off.

had a look at a couple of sites and they say do not remove outer cv joint hmmm bolloxed i think.

tyler h
24-02-2008, 02:12
Well, everybody around here seems fond of smacking an ST165 outer joint on an SW20 axle as a solution for a Mk1.5 axle set. Sounds easy enough, right? :liar:

http://www.raxles.com/ContentManagedImages/outjoint.gif

From what I gather, there's a blind snap ring in the axle shaft that holds the outer CV to the halfshaft. You can see the groove for it in this cross section.

I need to figure out a way to convince it to shear off.

snowtigger
24-02-2008, 11:52
okay then brutal time large sledge hammer and a vice put some nuts on the end to protect the threads as well bash it one way then the other should fatigue it enough to break use a block of wood on the threaded ends as well.

like they used to do at carnivals test your strength machines.

biteme
24-02-2008, 12:47
I spied a full-stop or two, in that one, folks!

Marksman
24-02-2008, 13:50
Next week it'll be capital letters too...

:hidesbehi

Owen.

Paul Woods
24-02-2008, 16:24
yep u basically smack the back of the CV joint with a lump hammer and block of wood,the snap ring will compress into its groove or break.

tyler h
25-02-2008, 00:27
Got it done. In the end, the hammer wasn't the right tool for the job, at least not for me.

I used a big piece of pipe, stripped the axle down to the halfshaft and offending outer joint. Then I put the whole axle into the pipe and let the ballrace square up on the top of the pipe (held vertically.) Drop the pipe from about 6 feet in the air and it lopped the joint right off.

Marksman
25-02-2008, 01:27
I'm liking that method a lot, good even force :thumbsup:

Owen.

Sponge Bob
25-02-2008, 08:27
Job's a good'n... :thumbsup: