PDA

View Full Version : V6's and MOT emissions

Paul Woods
09-11-2006, 07:11
Seeing as this applies to both mk1 and mk2 v6's ive stuck it here...this question has been raised a lot lately so i thought id interogate our MOT tester and make him sift through the MOT bible regarding what we need for emissions.

He trawled the book for a good hour and came up with this definate answer....

All cars up to 95 will need to pass a cat test if fitted with the ORIGINAL engine that had a cat installed and there is emission data available for that vehicle.However cars up to 95 that have a transplanted engine will not have to pass a cat test simply because there is no emission data available for it.

All cars after 95 will need to pass a cat test wether they are fitted with the original engine,transplanted engine or regardless if there is emission data for it or not,this is called a default cat test.

Summing up.....if you have a pre 95 v6=no cat test,if you have a post 95 v6=cat test....as simple as welding the old 3s-ge cat into the system though.

Hope that clears up the recent confusion people.

Gary Symons
09-11-2006, 07:24
may be of use:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/specialnotice04-04inspectionmanualupdates.htm

biteme
09-11-2006, 10:09
That will be getting printed, I thank you :)

Fizzy
09-11-2006, 10:34
(loads of waffling removed as I was babbling ;) ).

As mine is a '95 car it looks like its going to have to pass the low omissions test.

I'll at least get some omissions readings today to see which level it would or would not pass.

Fizzy
09-11-2006, 12:40
Well, that visit to the garage was a complete waste of time. Guy wouldn't do an immisions test. As mine is a '95 car, he told me that part of the mot is a VISUAL check to see if a cat is installed, as its required? I tried saying that my understanding was that it was a imissions level test, but apparantly they check that the cat is there....

...which would explain why a lot of the decat pipes I have seen actually look like cats.

So - car just booked into a custom exhaust fabricator place in Cardiff for tuesday afternoon. I did explain to the guy what I wanted, but I guess its easier to show him when I'm there. :D

So basically - >94 cars are going to be a pain for imissions, cat, mot etc with the V6. Earlier cars should be ok.....

.. in hindsight if I had known about the visual check thing I wouldn't have re-used the mongoose exhaust. Ahh well. Anybody wanna swap? :P

Paff
09-11-2006, 13:23
Just spoke to my guy and the emmissions test does not matter what year of car you have got, its done on the engine, so if you turned up in a 2003 car with a 90 engine you would need to pass the emmissions for that engine.

There is no requirement to actually see a cat in place as long as the emmissions are in the correct specs for that engine it will pass.

He's the guy that has done all my familys mot's for years and also many friends mot's and had a laugh at Sam's MOT if anyone remembers Sams mistake :)

He will not pass the car if it is dangerous but will not screw you over every tiny details that may almost be out of spec.

Fizzy, I can let you know the details of the garage if you have ongoing problems with your lot.

Goldy
09-11-2006, 13:37
I've been told that it goes on whatever is earliest the engine or the car.

Paff
09-11-2006, 13:41
You maybe right but I've been told the same thing twice and as long as it means the cars will pass I don't care whats right :) .

MOT's can be too confusing innit

Fizzy
09-11-2006, 14:28
You maybe right but I've been told the same thing twice and as long as it means the cars will pass I don't care whats right :) .

MOT's can be too confusing innit

Damn right! I'm well confused... :(

Fizzy
09-11-2006, 14:30
Fizzy, I can let you know the details of the garage if you have ongoing problems with your lot.

Yes please - could you pm me the details? Thanks.

Paff
09-11-2006, 14:31
Fizzy if you want and you are about Saturday morning, how'd you fancy popping down and can actually have a word with my guy yourself and he can actually see the car to know exactly whats been done?

I trust what he's saying but am sure he'd be happy to explain to you if you needed

Fizzy
09-11-2006, 15:28
May be busy transporting furniture around saturday - although could try and get it done friday night... :D