PDA

View Full Version : best way to drop the engine

wangan_x
02-11-2006, 05:55
i know it is best to lift the body off of the engine/tranny but how did everyone support the e/t where is the best place?

have to pull the 4ag this weekend...

help greatly appreciated... thanks

Mistertwokw
02-11-2006, 08:07
I just jacked th car up..placed a huge thick plank of would across the rear bulkhead and supported that with axle stands. Undid everything but the eninge mounts before doing this though.
Engine hoist was used to lower engine down. Hope this helps.
Ki

superchargedsam
02-11-2006, 10:04
more or less same as Ki !

firstmk1
02-11-2006, 20:19
I'm going to follow Paul's very helpful guide and just use jacks.

Sponge Bob
03-11-2006, 10:38
I squeezed a whole can of spinach out into the air, gulped it down, did a silly jingle and then just pulled the engine clear...

Hope this helps!! :mrgreen:

johnathan
03-11-2006, 15:08
did mine the same as pauls write up and it was cake
thank you paul

wangan_x
04-11-2006, 07:09
I squeezed a whole can of spinach out into the air, gulped it down, did a silly jingle and then just pulled the engine clear...

Hope this helps!! :mrgreen:

my uncle did something like that with a 305 out of an 84 monte carlo and proceeded to toss it a good ten foot behind him due to a couple of wires that would not come loose

Shorty
04-11-2006, 11:24
It`s actually not as heacy as you might think. If you don`t have anything to put it on (whatever you got with wheels, or one of Pauls trolleys) make sure you have something underneath with high friction from the ground. Meaning it will slide on the surface. Then just drop it on that and pull it out. Easy as that.:)

firstmk1
04-11-2006, 12:56
I'm removing my engine right now (had to stop for pie) and having removed all the dry connectors I'm coming up to the fluid lines. My question is what is the minimum fluid drain I can get away with? Do I have to fully drain everything as I'm rather not given that the same engine is going back in?

Cheers all
Ian

superchargedsam
04-11-2006, 13:03
drain it into clean tubs and save it then Ian !

firstmk1
04-11-2006, 13:18
Good plan Sam. My other concern is with the fuel lines. I'm not 100% on the safe way to remove then, any advice? Is it just a case of removing the fuel rail and raising the line to drain them to tank?

wangan_x
04-11-2006, 13:21
It`s actually not as heacy as you might think. If you don`t have anything to put it on (whatever you got with wheels, or one of Pauls trolleys) make sure you have something underneath with high friction from the ground. Meaning it will slide on the surface. Then just drop it on that and pull it out. Easy as that.:)

like a creeper per say?

Shorty
04-11-2006, 13:31
Creeper? I`m a norwegian dude and not only that i come from the west side so my respons is,,,, huh?;)

I just put a board of thin wood under the engine, dropped it on that, draged it out, done.

Shorty
04-11-2006, 13:33
Good plan Sam. My other concern is with the fuel lines. I'm not 100% on the safe way to remove then, any advice? Is it just a case of removing the fuel rail and raising the line to drain them to tank?

There shouldn`t be too much fuel in the fuel lines, and you won`t be able to get it back into the tank as it`s pushed into them through the pump. Your talking small amounts here. No worries. Keep a bucket underneath if needed. Some spills are unavoidable. (my 0.2? anyway)

superchargedsam
04-11-2006, 13:36
agree with shorty, wont be much in them and just let them drain out when removed as wont be much in there so not major safety issue just have some sand underneath to soak it up !

firstmk1
04-11-2006, 13:37
I'll see is I can just remove the fuel rail with the fuel lines still connected otherwise I'll stick a tub underneath.

Ta for the tips.

Ian

wangan_x
04-11-2006, 16:35
flat thingy you lay on to slide underneath the car has four wheels...

firstmk1
04-11-2006, 17:29
I've packed in for the day as it's dark and cold plus I've to get cleaned up for a party. Just a couple of hoses to remove along with oil lines, exhaust and drive shafts then it's ready to drop. Quite pleased with my progress as I've been on my own, having to keep referring to Paul's guide and trying not to get too much muck on the drive!

Top engine removal guide Paul :thumbsup:

Ian

superchargedsam
04-11-2006, 18:41
if undoing drive shaft nuts do it before taking engine out so you can put it in gear to help ! feckers that they are !

firstmk1
08-11-2006, 20:29
Right, got the long one off but I can't shift the short one. All the nuts are off but it won't come apart. Any tips?

Garbe
08-11-2006, 21:29
tap it with a rubber mallet, i had this on one of the camry driveshafts, once the bolts are removed it should come apart. but i suppose they stick after 10-20 years.

firstmk1
08-11-2006, 23:57
Tried that and a pry bar. Most of my car headaches are caused by things that should come apart once the bolts are removed.
I'm thinking I may have to move the engine to the side before dropping it to release the driveshaft.

firstmk1
12-11-2006, 11:47
:jump: got the engine out.

Now I can find out what's wrong with it and hopefully fix it. I'm planning to replace a number of service items that are much easier with the engine out to avoid having to take it out again. Also, to make the job worthwhile, I'll be fitting a lightweight flywheel and LSD :mrgreen:

Ian

Shorty
12-11-2006, 12:59
Congrats:) No swap but it`s fun anyway isn`t it? If i was taking out the 4age again it would take a few hours i think. After the first time you realize how much easier you could have done it. But now it`s out so get to it:)

Gary Symons
12-11-2006, 13:41
I found the engine removal easy, just dig a big hole in your garage floor :mrgreen:

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/52.jpg

firstmk1
12-11-2006, 23:14
Congrats:) No swap but it`s fun anyway isn`t it?

No swap but my engine is far from standard :twisted: