PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte alternator

Gary Symons
21-10-2006, 16:19
Think my alternator has died, how much should I expect to pay for a new one? I rang one motorfactors and they wanted ?230+vat! for a blueprint alt. was expecting about ?100.

Also is the same alt used elsewhere? I guess it is just the gt4?

Ta

Gary

superchargedsam
21-10-2006, 16:27
Gary have you spoken to any auto electricians about getting it refurbed ifs its defiantly dead as might be a cheaper option ! not saying it is as I have never had it done but remember speaking to one about getting one upgraded for my mini pick up so I could run a stereo and spotlights at the same time and wasnt as expensive as I imagined it would have been ! Just an idea maybe !

Paul Woods
21-10-2006, 16:34
i agree with sambo,under ?100 should get it fixed liked new.

Paff
21-10-2006, 16:35
what the hell are psotlights :)

I'd agree have a word with an autoelectrician, may find its an easy refurb.

superchargedsam
21-10-2006, 16:41
Paff what you on about fella ???

:whistle:

Rowdan
21-10-2006, 16:42
what the hell are psotlights

I think they are similar to ofglights...well on Sams' PC anyway.;)

Paff
21-10-2006, 16:50
:) don't think I can't see the edit bit Sam.

Oh and for anyone else who didn't read Sams comment apparently Spotlights have now been renamed psotlights :)

I havn't got any ofglights :( spose I ought to sort that out sometime :)

superchargedsam
21-10-2006, 16:54
yeah and mine paff ! ;)

Paff
21-10-2006, 17:03
Well I know what has to be done. wont be too hard now I know, might have to steal something from the original lights to get it to work but seen as they are worth nothing these days it won't be a prob I spose.

Actually will be taking a look at it tomorrow if I get a chance, I have all the parts I think I need so may have the solution ready soon :)

superchargedsam
21-10-2006, 22:12
reysult and gary sorry for the :hijack:

Garbe
22-10-2006, 11:11
Gary,
I saw the other thread about the alternator,
i bought one with the oval connector, i changed over my round connector and it worked perfectly, however the one i got was brand new, so did'nt mine taking a chance only ?28 delivered.

I had it reconditioned previously for about ?60.

If you take it off, take the top cover off and check the bushes, as this is what went on mine. you can also check the other components, i still have my old one, so if you need any parts from it, or the whole thing let me have you address and i'll pop it in the post for ya.

Gary Symons
22-10-2006, 12:21
Gary,
I saw the other thread about the alternator,
i bought one with the oval connector, i changed over my round connector and it worked perfectly, however the one i got was brand new, so did'nt mine taking a chance only ?28 delivered.

I had it reconditioned previously for about ?60.

If you take it off, take the top cover off and check the bushes, as this is what went on mine. you can also check the other components, i still have my old one, so if you need any parts from it, or the whole thing let me have you address and i'll pop it in the post for ya.

Thanks for the offer, I will whip the covers off next weekend and give it the once over. :thumbsup:

Gary Symons
29-10-2006, 08:50
Had the cover off the alt and did a few continuity tests and on the surface all appears ok (but then what do I know :shrug: ). I guess if the alt is at fault it will most likely be the regulator (the bit with the round plug on it)

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/files/altenator.jpg

I have done a little digging and found that this alt is apparently also used on the mk2 na (but only the models with air con) Was aircon ever an option on UK cars?

For info this alt is: 12V 100A
Toyota part number 27060-74180
Denso part number 100211-61100

Also found this list of toyota alts.
http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/files/REMAN_Alternators.pdf

Going to check the car wiring out now, I guess it could also be a bad earth on the engine?

Paul Woods
29-10-2006, 09:00
no it wont be an earthing fault gary,if the engine cranks then its getting all the earthing it needs as the starter will pull more load than any other component attached to the engine block.

There are two different plug types on turbo alts,round and oval,which is the only thing to watch for if buying a replacement.

Gary Symons
29-10-2006, 09:02
no it wont be an earthing fault gary,if the engine cranks then its getting all the earthing it needs as the starter will pull more load than any other component attached to the engine block.

There are two different plug types on turbo alts,round and oval,which is the only thing to watch for if buying a replacement.

Good point, didnt think about the starter.

Garbe
31-10-2006, 21:06
Just seen this, a guy selling bits from rev2 turbo, alternator ?10
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51654

robwsurf
01-11-2006, 16:54
Had mine reconed a few weeks ago was ?108 they replaced all the internal s