PDA

View Full Version : Another Update

Gary Symons
14-10-2006, 18:12
Hi All,

Right, I finally think I may be getting somewhere with my car problems. I fitted the new 12psi forge actuator and guess what fuel cut! I have for now decided not to fit the boost controller so I could fault find better.

The gauge was still hitting about 14psi, I now suspect that the gauge is reading a little high, and that combined with the FCD set too low was causing the fuel cut. Could the FCD artificially lower the fuel cut pressure below standard if it is set too low?

After tweaking the FCD a tiny bit higher the boost gauge sits quite happily at 14 psi without any noticable increases or peaks. No more fuel cut!

It is possible that I didnt need to fit the new actuator but I am glad I did the boost response is much improved.

I will be starting the shakedown proper tomorrow, and will also be dropping another boost gauge on the car just to check the actual pressure. (assuming the new gauge is more accurate of course.)

Much happier today!

Gary

adamh
14-10-2006, 18:39
great news gary. you say about a much improved response from the forge actuator.. what exactly do you mean in improved.. better coming on or off or more regulated throughout the range?...

Gary Symons
14-10-2006, 18:46
great news gary. you say about a much improved response from the forge actuator.. what exactly do you mean in improved.. better coming on or off or more regulated throughout the range?...

Appears to come on boost quicker. hard to explain but the car drives much better.

nik
14-10-2006, 18:51
youve hit on a bit of advice i have been meaning to give and also an idea..
i think it is paramount to test recent turbo builds with more than one gauge..
maybe we should have a TB gauge that like the jig can be posted to anyone nearing the shakedown stage of a build..i guess its an engineers way of thinking, dont trust an instrument unless you know its calibrated regularly or youve got another one to check it with..
so anyone got a spare good guage that could become the TWOBRUTAL BOOSTOMETER.? (okay, who remembers that.?)

adamh
14-10-2006, 18:52
well i just read up on the site you got that from it has some info. i like the sound of them actuators very much gary and will be purchasing one. they reckon the standard old actuators start to move WG at 3psi which might explain why your boost comes on quicker.. youve got a shiny new spring holding wg firm closed and it also uprated. excellent part

i havent got any spare gauges nik, but will check at work

Gary Symons
14-10-2006, 18:58
youve hit on a bit of advice i have been meaning to give and also an idea..
i think it is paramount to test recent turbo builds with more than one gauge..
maybe we should have a TB gauge that like the jig can be posted to anyone nearing the shakedown stage of a build..i guess its an engineers way of thinking, dont trust an instrument unless you know its calibrated regularly or youve got another one to check it with..
so anyone got a spare good guage that could become the TWOBRUTAL BOOSTOMETER.? (okay, who remembers that.?)

So I have finally said something useful on here? :boogie: :hehe: rotflmao

Had to happen sooner or later i guess.

nik
14-10-2006, 19:08
lmao...congrats...and only post 709..:thumbsup:

Gary Symons
15-10-2006, 16:32
Well I hope I am not getting ahead of myself but I have changed my profile to 'swap complete' :hehe: . Still have some vents to add for the bootmounted intercooler, but apart from that I am on the road.

To celebrate I have given the car a little bit of tlc.

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/PIC2.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/PIC5.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/PIC7.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/PIC9.jpg

Shorty
15-10-2006, 16:38
Sweet lookin' ride indeed. Nice wheels too. How does she run now?

Paul Woods
15-10-2006, 18:25
oh man ! gary that 1.5 is looking mint! outstanding job,that cars a credit to you mate.

Gary Symons
15-10-2006, 18:29
cheers guys,

Shorty, the car is running great, fingers crossed all the gremlins have been removed. Its got a 60 mile drive to work to cope with tomorrow so that should show up any remaining issues.

Murf
15-10-2006, 18:29
Nice!
Are they ST205 brakes? They are fookin huge!

Gary Symons
15-10-2006, 18:43
Nice!
Are they ST205 brakes? They are fookin huge!

Sure are. Do a great job stopping the car. Squeal like hell though at low speeds.

jasper
15-10-2006, 19:44
Squeal like hell though at low speeds.
Drive faster then lol

Marksman
15-10-2006, 22:51
Drive faster then lol

Ahhh, now that's twobrutal logic for you. :thumbsup:

O.S.

adamh
15-10-2006, 23:38
wow.. that looks absoloutely beautiful :mrgreen: . misty ! .. outstanding achievement mate, been watching for a loooong time! i bet it handles fantastic with all the new running gear on :praise2: how have you set up camber on front on rear?.. :drool:

Gary Symons
16-10-2006, 07:40
wow.. that looks absoloutely beautiful :mrgreen: . misty ! .. outstanding achievement mate, been watching for a loooong time! i bet it handles fantastic with all the new running gear on :praise2: how have you set up camber on front on rear?.. :drool:

been building for a loooong time!

Havent really tested the handling yet, still need to get the alignment done professionally. To do the camber I used a spirit level, a steel rule and a little trigonometry (Very basic I know!). Cant remember what I set them to though.

It survived the drive to work without any real issues, its pretty loud on the motorway at 70 though.
Was only a 60 mile drive and I am knackered from the drive.

superchargedsam
16-10-2006, 17:09
gary that car is fecking stunning and hope mine is quarter as nice as that ! podges 205s sqeeled like a beatch so we tok pads out put copper slip on the back put them in no more squal ! just an idea !

MegatronUK
19-10-2006, 20:45
Gary well done. That looks like a seriously good example, and well worth the amount of effort you've put in.

Hope you can now startt to enjoy it a bit! :)

GaryA
19-10-2006, 21:05
A job very well done :thumbsup:

Shugsta
20-10-2006, 01:00
Inspirational stuff Gary, an absolutely stunning car. :drool: :drool: :drool: