PDA

View Full Version : Got my camry. :)

Barronmr
10-10-2006, 18:03
As title says I've finally got a V6 camry with HG already changed and LPG fitted, all for ?600. :)

But I've run out of student grant funds :sad: for a few months anyways, so I've decided to use it as my daily driver.

Just a few quick questions regarding this engine, is there anything I can do modification wise while its still in the camry?

And how will the LPG affect my swap? I don't think its possible to keep the LPG with the engine, as the tank is rather large. And I would like to transfer it to another project if possible.

Also I would like to take a moment to say "I hate auto's"

Thanks Luke

Mistertwokw
10-10-2006, 18:10
well done on the camry mate!,bet your dying to get started

superchargedsam
10-10-2006, 18:19
should have called in to say hi to the south wales possy while down here fella !

congrats oon the purchase !

Paul Woods
10-10-2006, 19:09
well done on the camry luke,a fine weapon of choice....theres not a lot you can do until your project starts im afraid so enjoy cruising around like an old man for now :)

Barronmr
10-10-2006, 20:41
Sam, I would of enquired as where abouts you were exactly and dropped in but it was 7 and a half hour train ride followed by a 5 hour drive (dedication for ya). And I thought any detour would of made it a very long day indeed.

On another note, anyone have any knowledge of LPG? The car keeps stalling when coming to rest on downward slopes, I think I just need to alter the LPG's idle speed a little higher.

Garbe
10-10-2006, 21:26
I'm sure they drill holes in the intake, to mount the gas injectors, so you would probably need another one if you're not keeping the lpg. don't know what other mods are done to fit it.

Paul Woods
11-10-2006, 06:32
raises hand....qualified LPG installer at your service sah!

stalling on downward braking....can i see a pic of the regulator please,thats the big silver unit thats in the engine bay,about 8" diam round cylindrical type unit with lots of pipes coming off it,ta.

Barronmr
11-10-2006, 16:43
is this the unit you require a pic of?

If its too big I'll resize

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/10/41.jpg

Paul Woods
11-10-2006, 18:18
perfect pic,right where do i start....that kit has been fitted by an arsehole!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/10/42.jpg

Lets start with the valve in the Yellow circle...that should be plumbed in as close as possible to the gas mixer (green rectangle) ,at the moment the gas is doing a lap of honour of your engine bay before even making it to the mixer....this can cause stalling and very poor pick up on acceleration,just alter the pipes so that the valve is about 2" away from the mixer.

Next is the pipe at the red circle ,thats the standard air bypass pipe on the camry,now all it has to do normally is draw air around the throttle to keep the idle correct (it its controlled by the ISC stepper motor) but its plumbed in quite a distance from the gas mixer and may be struggling to get a supply of gas on the overrun....usually a special mixer will be used on cars that have idle speed control valves with bypass hoses so you can plumb the bypass hose straight into the mixer so its getting fuel more directly....if your mixer doesnt have a spare fitting for the bypass hose it may never work properly when the throttles snapped shut....different mixer or move it closer to the bypass hose will help.... if i saw that bay first hand id probably spot loads of other things not correct with the LPG kit,that looks like a very poor install.

Move the valve in the yellow circle right up to the mixer and report back.

Barronmr
12-10-2006, 19:53
Thanks for the info.
I'm gonna have a go at sorting those pipes tomorrow.

Is it safe to just take those pipes off chop em and refit as possible? I'm not technically gifted and don't know much about LPG.

Your right about the lack of expertise in the fitting of this kit. While filling I asked a local LPG fitter, he noticed that the kit was a bodged on, using different parts from different kits. :(