PDA

View Full Version : V6 exhaust cam backlash gear

Paul Woods
24-09-2006, 19:04
I wasnt even aware of this one myself up until last week when tony (fourveesix) told me about it,so many thanks to him for this priceless info.

During a recent V6 engine head rebuild i noticed the exhaust cams gears that interlock with the inlet cam gear are split into two sections,id never noticed this before or never paid enough attention one of the two!

So on further inspection i noticed one half of the exhaust cam gear could be moved and was in fact spring loaded! So i dropped our tone a quick pm to ask if he knew wtf this spring loaded gear was for.And by jove he knew! (hes a good lad y'know!) Apparently this spring loaded half of the exhaust cam gear is a backlash device,or anti backlash device i should say,it makes sure that both edges of the inlet cam gear are in constant mesh with the exhaust cam gear and its there just to reduce the noise of the gears coming into mesh,simple as that....

However! if someone takes the cams out of the heads the backlash gear springs back and out of tension...and to the unknowledgable you would easily rebuild the cams without even knowing there was anything wrong.

Ive no pics at the moment cos my camera is crap at detail,perhaps lodge or someone with exhaust cams at hand could help me here! On one side of the exhaust cam gear you will notice three holes,one of these holes lines up with a threaded hole in the other half of the exhaust cam gear.When you twist the backlash gear into tension you can stick an m6 bolt through this hole and lock the gear under tension.Then when you refit the exhaust cam you take the bolt out and thats the gear fitted and under tension.If you dont do this it will flap about and it will be noisier than normal.

(lodge i think this was half the battle getting your old engine to quieten down in the early days,well that and shims out of tolerance but it certainly didnt help mate!)

So i thought the rest of you v6 builders best know about these backlash gears that must be tensioned during refit.The easiest way is to lock them in place before removal to make it easier.

If nobody else can supply some detailed pics of what im bangin on about i will try to get some uploaded shortly.

Sincere thanks to fourveesix for shedding light on what this does :thumbsup: learning as we go fellas.

Jiff Lemon
24-09-2006, 19:45
oooooooo bugger

Paff
24-09-2006, 20:09
nice comment Jiff. I'm glad my engines not in pieces, or I may have made the same mistake

Jiff Lemon
24-09-2006, 20:21
Shall just keep me fingers crossed for now!

Garbe
24-09-2006, 20:52
There is a pic in the haynes.

Garbe
24-09-2006, 20:59
I now what you mean tony, i must have read it over about 20 odd times before i even took the covers off.

GaryA
24-09-2006, 22:26
Nice bit of info guys was looking at that when the cams just kinda jumped out :shifty: , can i just add that the cam caps must be torqued down to the correct setting or you can crack the head around the cap bolt holes and also damage the cams . Will try to post some pics of what my engine looks like after some animal did the head gaskets ! Oh and he got them on the wrong banks. :doh:

Peebs
24-09-2006, 22:30
Is that my engine tone, looks like it (before clean/paint) ? Wow, you're like a ninja or summat, I don't remember you making seeing you do this on Fizzy's then again, it was sort of "split shifts" at times, hehe. I know you did it, but just don't remember seeing that tool :)

Jiff Lemon
24-09-2006, 23:31
So I'm guessing if you remove the cam cover and can insert a bolt straight away, you can breathe a sigh of relief and do a little victory dance?

Sponge Bob
25-09-2006, 00:41
Irrelevant to me, but fantastic information - gems like this sum up just what this site's all about!!

Paul Woods
25-09-2006, 06:58
So I'm guessing if you remove the cam cover and can insert a bolt straight away, you can breathe a sigh of relief and do a little victory dance?

provided you or anyone else has never had the cams off the engine and refitted them without knowing about the backlash gear.If its been untouched from the factory (or a previous mechanic tensioned the gear properly when it was apart) then yes simply sticking the service bolt in will do.

Nice "reminder" tool by the way tone! :)

Garbe
25-09-2006, 11:06
This got me thinking about the cam alignment, There are 2 holes/marks that need to align when the cams go back in, now on the opposite side there is also a mark/hole, last night i could'nt remember whether it was the 2 or single marks that needed aligning, talk about sleepless, checked this morning and its the 2 holes that need to align, huge sigh of relief.

Paul Woods
25-09-2006, 17:55
class diagram tone :thumbsup:

Garbe
25-09-2006, 19:00
I set both banks using the 2 dots facing inwards,
However, when the pulleys are put on they can only go on one way, so then are rotated so the timing marks are lined up,
this will set the cams correctly (2 dots in and one dot in on the respective banks?) when you set TDC

Garbe
25-09-2006, 21:42
Cheers tony, honestly i've been thinking about this since i read your post above.
takes huge sigh of relief.

Limeymk1
26-09-2006, 12:09
:hmm: Do you guys think the late 1MZFE will have the same backlash gear on it?

Still haven't had the chance of a proper explore round my engine as the house buying's going soooooo slowly. :banghead: