PDA

View Full Version : v6 rev counter recalibration

lodgeman
12-09-2006, 23:40
jiff lemon found a company that recalibrates rev counters. i have emailed them and they dont know if they can sort one until they get one to work on! if it is possible then its ?55 +vat for the job. i have also asked if there was more than just the one would it be cheaper. i am awaiting their reply. is any else interested in getting this done? will take approx 20 days for the turnaround. just reply in this thread and we will see where it goes:) does anyone have a spare that they could lend me for the initial send off to see if they can do it? if they can then i can send you back my old one as a replacement when it returns? any help appreciated!! i think the company is in swansea somewhere!

Marksman
13-09-2006, 00:01
Are we talking standard MK1b rev counter lodge?

O.S.

lodgeman
13-09-2006, 00:35
yep we sure are matey:thumbsup: is there a difference between the 1a and the 1b?

Marksman
13-09-2006, 00:46
No idea but I've a spare from a 1b if you want me to send it somewhere...

O.S.

lodgeman
13-09-2006, 00:47
cheers mate! will wait for the reply regarding a group charge and then get back to you sir:thumbsup:

Paul Woods
13-09-2006, 06:55
moving to tech as this could prove invaluable if it comes off!

Paff
13-09-2006, 08:34
And if they need any more I might have a couple lying about spare, infact could dig them out and get them before Owen sends his we could get them sent in the same box

lodgeman
13-09-2006, 08:37
okey dokey ! sounds a good plan. when i hear back from the company i will let everyone know!

lodgeman
13-09-2006, 09:05
right i have had a reply back from the guy at speedycables. he is saying that we would need to send 20 or more for any sort of deal on the price, and i dont think there will be that many of us doing the swap will there? owen if you want to send that one off i will give you the address and if paff wants to send his as well then let me know and i will email the guy again to let him know how many are coming, let me know any costs that you have incurred and i will paypal you the money straight away. the address is

speedycables
caerbont ind est
abercrave
swansea
sa9 1sq

cheers guys

lodgeman
13-09-2006, 09:07
if anyone wants to check over their website its............
www.speedycables.com

Paff
13-09-2006, 09:09
Cool may take a look, I'll liase with Owen and see how many we have to send, its gotta be cheaper sending them in 1 delivery

Marksman
13-09-2006, 12:14
Lodge et al, might be worth sending just one off to start 'cos if the modifcation is an easy one we may be able to copy it :whistle:, 55 pence in bits certainly beats ?55 x 20 units! All depends on what they need to do with it...

Could you email me a covering letter or summat to go in the box, not to up on exactly what you need doing with it.

Cheers,

O.S.

Sparky
14-09-2006, 09:35
so this would be for a mk1b possibly mk1a and how about mk2?

Paul Woods
14-09-2006, 17:32
mk2 not required sparky,check vics swap in a mo,ive got a mini write up on putting the camry tach circuit board into the mk2 clocks,pretty easy to be honest.

AlunJ
14-09-2006, 17:51
How far out is the rev counter reading (would it be reading 1.5 times the correct rpm due to the two extra ignition pulses)? If the dash is taking an pulsed signal to display RPM's it should be fairly simple to build a pulse divider (using cheapo ?5 microcontroller) and give the clocks a corrected signal.

Will see what I can come up with this evening.

superchargedsam
14-09-2006, 19:05
Alun you just love them micro controllers dont ya !

Fizzy
14-09-2006, 19:49
mk2 not required sparky,check vics swap in a mo,ive got a mini write up on putting the camry tach circuit board into the mk2 clocks,pretty easy to be honest.

If I understand correctly, on the mk2, the sweep of the arm is sorted by changing the board, but the reading is still out a little as the dial on the camry reads 0-7500 across its range (or thereabouts), whereas the mr2 one is 0 up to 9000 (or thereabouts) - but the redline points on the sweep are the same...if you see what I mean.

I think I got that right...?

Marksman
14-09-2006, 20:03
Sounds logical Fizzy (though this would only affect the MK2) :thumbsup:

I was wondering if we should have some new dials made up with the redline marked in the right place. Lodge / Paul / JB, does the needle go off the scale as is?

O.S.

Jiff Lemon
14-09-2006, 20:06
Interested in getting one done and also have a spare; Too wibbly wobbly to read the thread and make sense of it, so let me know so I've something to read in the morning

lodgeman
14-09-2006, 22:01
yes it goes about an inch off the end of the scale and then goes bang bang bang bang bang :hidesbehi lol

Paul Woods
15-09-2006, 07:16
fizzy when you swap the camry circuit board into the mr2 tach it reads perfectly through the revs,idle speed is spot on and it reads 6.5k rpm fully nailed.....and thats the v6's redline,it all works fine.

Before hand on the mr2 curcuit board the needle would go off the scale like lodges did,although i dont get the accompanying clatter clatter oh fuck! that follows :)

Fizzy
15-09-2006, 10:35
fizzy when you swap the camry circuit board into the mr2 tach it reads perfectly through the revs,idle speed is spot on and it reads 6.5k rpm fully nailed.....and thats the v6's redline,it all works fine.

Before hand on the mr2 curcuit board the needle would go off the scale like lodges did,although i dont get the accompanying clatter clatter oh fuck! that follows :)

Ahh - ok, so it looks like I was wrong. Theres no difference in turbo and na rev coubters is there, so I should be fine after all. Just may need to draw in a redline at 6.5k... ;)

Marksman
18-09-2006, 19:24
Howdy folks.

Well I have at last dug out my spare rev counter.

It seemed like a good idea to send the whole clock assembly as the pin-outs are marked on the external PCB and they can see how much room they've got inside to play with...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/09/190.jpg

T'will be in the post on the morrow.

Cheers all,

Owen.

right i have had a reply back from the guy at speedycables. he is saying that we would need to send 20 or more for any sort of deal on the price, and i dont think there will be that many of us doing the swap will there? owen if you want to send that one off i will give you the address and if paff wants to send his as well then let me know and i will email the guy again to let him know how many are coming, let me know any costs that you have incurred and i will paypal you the money straight away. the address is

speedycables
caerbont ind est
abercrave
swansea
sa9 1sq

cheers guys

lodgeman
18-09-2006, 21:51
muchos gracias senore :moon:

Marksman
18-09-2006, 22:35
Would you like me to ask them if they can wire in a rev limiter whilst they're at it Lodge? New item on the menu, Lunched V6...

O.S.

lodgeman
18-09-2006, 23:14
oi oi!!!!!! no need for that is there!! you were the last tb'er to drive it!!!!!!:whistle:
spasbo i see owen!!!lol

Marksman
19-09-2006, 06:55
Howdy.

oi oi!!!!!! no need for that is there!!
Yes, it's exactly what TB was created for, Ferret Baiting, oh and some stuff about sharing information about some sort of car I believe, but mostly ferret baiting....

you were the last tb'er to drive it!!!!!!:whistle:
Nice try! :moon:

spasbo i see owen!!!lol
Hmm, not really that glad I proposed the change now :rant: SPASBO? I ask you! Oh well time to earn an ASBO instead then :twisted:

Happy V6ing,

Owen.

JB
19-09-2006, 19:05
How far out is the rev counter reading (would it be reading 1.5 times the correct rpm due to the two extra ignition pulses)? If the dash is taking an pulsed signal to display RPM's it should be fairly simple to build a pulse divider (using cheapo ?5 microcontroller) and give the clocks a corrected signal.

Will see what I can come up with this evening.

Just read this thread and have been thinking along same lines as Alun but haven't done much yet. Have you thought about it yet Alun? Should be quite a cheap solution if we can make one ourselves.

lodgeman
12-10-2006, 20:39
just got the rev counter back from speedy cables. total price was ?70 that includes next day delivery. many thanks to owen(marksman) for sending off his old rev counter to get it sorted. will fit tomorrow and send one back to you owen. cheers mate! heres some pics of the returned rev counter. i am not technically minded but maybe some one else can work out what they have done and copy?
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/10/50.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/10/51.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/10/52.jpg

Paff
13-10-2006, 12:39
The chip theyre using is here: http://www.usbid.com/part.cfm/HEF4538BT

The other stuff is surface mount so not much chance of doing it unless we have a real electronics whizz?

I'm sure there will be someone here who could manage it or know someone who could.