PDA

View Full Version : Manual Flywheel 3vzfe

Garbe
12-09-2006, 20:03
I picked up the flywheel today,
I have a NA clutch / pressure plate but the pressure plate does'nt fit the flywheel.
What plate do i need, or should i just get mine machined as i already have a new NA clutch kit?

(The reason for getting this was so i'd have everything ready for the swap, I would'nt have to wait to remove my flywheel and then get it machined)

Help on this please.

lodgeman
12-09-2006, 21:49
is it the american flywheel you are talking about? if it is it will need some machining. front and back and that fits the turbo clutch. if its the turbo fly then it will need the turbo clutch. look at pauls swap details for the v6 for any dimensions.

Paul Woods
13-09-2006, 06:45
garbe if you have a US 3vz-fe manual fly then thats got the same clutch fitting as turbo/gt4 etc.NA clutches will not fit onto turbo flys or 3vz/1mz manual flys.

Now if your gearbox is NA spec the input shaft on that is thinner than a turbo one so a turbo clutch wont fit an NA box either.

We had this problem on anths swap,peebs accidentally sent us a gt4 fly as none of us realised the clutch fitting was different.What we had to do was use the NA friction plate but fit a mk2T pressure plate...this means the clutch will fit the fly and the NA box will fit the clutch,and it all works beautifully,the only difference being the NA clutch friction pate is 225mm diam and the turbo is 238mm diam.

Anth has reported no problems at all doing it this way.So what you need mate is a turbo pressure plate to make it all work with that fly you have.
I may well have a 2nd hand one at the garage,i will look today mate.

The ideal solution for fitting an NA box onto a V6 using a turbo/gt4/v6 manual fly is to use turbo pressure plate and source a friction plate that has the NA shaft size/spline count but also has the 238mm diam of the turbo one....as yet i havent found a database or resource that will let me browse different friction plate diams and spline sizes,that would be ideal.

To avoid the problem altogether its best to use your old fly but get it drilled,but the upside of using a turbo pressure plate is you will have more clamping force on your NA friction plate.

Garbe
13-09-2006, 10:36
great, i thought i was stuck with a turkey for a second.

Garbe
14-09-2006, 14:20
Paul did you manage to find the pressure plate?
cheers H

Paul Woods
14-09-2006, 17:25
hi garbe,yes ive got one here bud,pm me your address and i'll stick it in the post for you.

Garbe
22-09-2006, 14:34
More trouble with the flywheel,
ordered some bolts for the fly, (for a 3.0 manual part numbers in JB's bulid, also checked at toyota)
got them today and these are too short,
it would appear that the flywheel is not for a camry after all.

comparing it with the NA flywheel
The bolt pattern is correct for the 3VZ, but there is too much material at mating surface with the engine, and on the other side also.

could i just get this machined?

what fly do you think it is? RAV4.

what the best/easiest thing to do.
Machine this or just go with the NA flywheel.

Paul Woods
22-09-2006, 18:14
ah it sounds very much like a 3vze 4runner flywheel,they are uber thick around the mounting face,also check the flywheel thickness,is it 30mm? if its more than that then its a 3vze one....my v6 has a 3vze fly on it machined down.

The specs you need to achieve are to machine away the rear mounting face so that the flywheel back edge sits 5mm away from the engine face,this will copy the mk2 turbo position,and also machine the front face so the fly is 30mm thick,....if in any doubt ask matey.

Garbe
22-09-2006, 18:40
Paul,
so the mating surface will sit 5mm (recessed) in from the overall surface of the flywheel.
And the outer (gearboxside) of the fly is machined down so the overall thickness of the wheel is 30mm.

will the bolts i have got for the manual fly be ok to use?

With taking so much material off, require it to be balanced? or
As its being taken off all over the fly will it not be necessary.

finally any idea how much i should be paying to have this done, just want to balance wether it would be cheaper to just machine the na fly.
cheers for the help paul.

Paul Woods
22-09-2006, 18:53
no the gap between the flywheel and engine block should be 5mm....so bolt your flywheel up,measure how much the gap is between fly and block and work out how much needs machining off the rear face to get it to 5mm.

Yep 30mm for flywheel thickness from back to front but not including the mounting boss.

have a word with adam,i believe he did lodges,hes the best person to ask and will no doubt still have the specs he did lodges too.

Garbe
25-09-2006, 11:11
Paul, think there was a bad connection, thanks for the info buddy,
I did'nt get the last bit about the starter ring not aligning, was it that a spacer would be needed?

Paul Woods
25-09-2006, 17:56
yeah shitty signal at work....yes the 3vze ring gear will be in the wrong place,6mm towards the gearbox,so you need a 6mm starter spacer to make the starter pinion gear hit the ring gear properly...its not hard though.