PDA

View Full Version : Removing the 4AGE - Paul I salute you!!

Dunk
11-09-2006, 00:12
I spent god knows how many hours today, probably the better part of 7 removing my Mk1 engine. What a pain in the arse it is! But it is now mostly on the floor, on top of a trolly jack waiting for me to shift everything else out of the way!

If you do this for a living Paul, I'm impressed, its a slag of a job! But satisfying I have to admit!

Keep it up!

Dunk :)

mart1975
11-09-2006, 05:19
go dunk! long time no speak mate, good luck with the swap

Paul Woods
11-09-2006, 06:57
nice one mate,trust me they drop out themselves after the 150th time! did you use the engine removal guide?

Sponge Bob
11-09-2006, 09:12
I bet they drop out after the 150th time... the ass wasn't made for that kind of treatment ;)

on a less serious note - I got to agree, I could never do that all day long - hunched over a bay, scraping knuckle skin off everything, getting covered in oil & grease... as many have said before - a labour of love!!

mart1975
11-09-2006, 10:01
you sick sick man ash

superchargedsam
11-09-2006, 15:26
Ash :hand: I find the 4AGE aint to bad to take out as done 3 NAs now and a GZE and the hardest part has always been thr drive shaft nuts, until I got a 500 ft/lbs windy gun and wapped my airline pressure upto 100psi, now they are off in about 4 seconds flat ! But if its your first engine removal you have done well to get her out in a day thats for sure ! Started my life on the A series which can also be a total arse as everything seizes up on them buggers !

Dunk
11-09-2006, 17:45
I did use the guide Paul. There were a couple of bits missing from it I think, but I can't remember what yet. But nothing too majour. It was very useful!

Sam, the driveshaft nuts were the easiest for me, came out piece of piss :) The Driveshaft guard nuts wouldn't budge though, so I just jacked the car up and turned the wheels, giving access to the nuts, much easier! I had a right slag of a time doing the Cam side engine mount! I ended up doing the big 17mm bolt instead, was far easier!

superchargedsam
11-09-2006, 18:28
As for drivesaft nuts spent at least half an hour with blwo torch and cold water and a decent size breaker bar and in total over an hour and a half spent on one nut for podge to come along and undo it forst turn of the breaker bar ! I was not impressed but least I have the knowledge it was all my hard work that loosened it for him ! grrrr grrrr fecking grrrr !

Sponge Bob
11-09-2006, 22:05
The oil bits were missing from the guide I think... but not sure - maybe I missed them when going through...

Dunk
12-09-2006, 20:14
The starter motor, oil cooler, only mentions the one gearchange cable and I really can't fathom how that pissing bracket that holds the clutch slave cylinder and gear change cables in comes off. I've undone the big 17mm bolt at the bottom and the 2 clutch cylinder bolts and it wont budge, the only fuggin thing stopping me now!! Any ideas??

adamh
12-09-2006, 23:39
always sailed through the nuts with a 5lb copper hammer and ring spanner. worst memorable part of 4age is then getting the engine past the shafts!.. this time round i struggled a bit and then 'bing' thought i dont need em and got the feckin grinder out and chopped right thru the bastids.. one of the best gratifying parts of the swap for i :mrgreen:

why do you want to undo the gear / clutch brackety bit?
am i thinking of the part attatched to the gearbox, matrix of pipes?.. undo your gear cables, undo your clutch line at the slave. leave bracket on engine!

superchargedsam
13-09-2006, 14:24
Adam I cut through my shaft on the 1.5 as nut wouldnt budge and wanted engine out ! got ferkin hot as took some cutting it has to be said ! was nice feeling after all the grief they have ever given me on various cars !

adamh
14-09-2006, 00:21
the best feelin!. talking of which... the suspension tie rod which go's just behind b pillar.. the bolt is seized in bush.. and is not coming out!.. tried soaking it, tried breaker bar. managed to turn the rubber inside its housing but bolt & bush are 'one'. losing options, last nut and then the whole rear sus is off for restore at work. profanity's*

Dunk
17-09-2006, 17:40
A quick update....

I got the focker out!! Hurrah!! What a pain in the arse that was, hopefully the replacement 4AGE (sorry, can't afford anything better) will go in a bit easier.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/09/185.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/09/186.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/09/187.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/09/188.jpg

Marksman
17-09-2006, 18:46
Well done that man. Don't worry about only putting a 4a back in, it's all good practice!

All the best,

Owen.

adamh
17-09-2006, 23:12
well done, i reckon that wont be the last ;-)

Dunk
18-09-2006, 00:37
Its the vast collection of nuts and bolts I have in a box that I find worrying. For the most part I don't have an idea where they came from! LOL!!! I'm sure I'll work it all out! :P